“Best in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Squid Ink - CLOSED

Squid Ink
Price range: US$45 - US$70
Cuisines: Seafood, British, International, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to Squid Ink restaurant situated in the historic fishing port of Looe in South East Cornwall.This intimate 32 cover restaurant is owned by Looe resident Adrian Woodward and first opened in 2008. The restaurant itself is housed within a character filled period building dating back more than 300 years.Looe is a pretty seaside town and important Cornish port selling mainly day caught fish from small trawlers, netting boats and line fishing boats, where the highest EU quality level of E (excellent) is electronically `attached' to almost every box of fish. Day boats are considered one of the more sustainable ways to fish, and they also provide the freshest fish.We are committed to offering outstanding service and our menu includes dishes suitable for allergy sufferers or those just wishing to avoid certain foods such as seafood, gluten or dairy. If however you have any additional dietary requirements you are welcome to discuss them with the chef who will endeavour to accommodate them.
Perth, Australia
“Best in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Wonderful feeling of welcome complimented by excellent cusine brilliantly presented. Mouth watering.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank ridetrains

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Came here for my partner's birthday, and even the manager of our B&B was shocked we'd managed to book a table. As we arrived, there was a sign confirming they had no tables for Thursday, Friday or Saturday - so I'd definitely recommend booking in advance! The food was absolutely delicious and the menu was quite varied, with a lot of high quality fish. I had already told the hotel it was my partner's birthday, and at the end of our meal he was presented with a cupcake with a sparkler on it, which we thought was a lovely touch. The food was all fantastic and presented very well, and the staff were all attentive and helpful. Will definitely be visiting Squid Ink again if we visit Looe. Although it is £28.50 for three courses, I'd say the quality of the meal made this completely worth it.

1 Thank Katherine A
Paddock Wood, United Kingdom
“End of holiday meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We chose this restaurant after reading review and were not disappointed. The service was first class as was the food. It was shut for a family occasion at the beginning of the week but we managed to telephone to book a table. Although neither of us are gluten free our daughter is and although she was not with us, we were very impressed with the choices available on the menu, plenty of gluten free options. A lovely little restaurant. We would recommend it.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank tandj24
Plymouth UK
“Very Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Visited The Squid Ink yesterday evening and overall thought the meal and service to be excellent.

We did book in advance which I believe to be advisable as there were a couple of customers turned away due to not having pre-booked. The restaurant was not full but I believe the chef would prefer to stagger sit down times to ensure good service. A good idea.

The menu is extremely good with good choices to cover all tastes. Our choices I thought were superb with good presentation, taste and quality.

The service was without doubt professional but not 'in your face'. Very relaxed but had superb attention to detail.

My only thought is the price for a set 3 course is £28-50. Could be a couple of pounds too much. Only my thoughts as we had a similar menu at Rhodes for slightly less. But, as a business the restaurant is being filled with those prices.

I would return most definitely but not too often due to the expense. Well worth a visit for a special occasion as they do and will look after you superbly.

As a foot note my Birthday Cake was a wonderful surprise and greatly appreciated. Thank you.

London
“Get a booking and go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Squid Ink is a small restuarant that does require booking. When you arrive you are seated by the small bar to look at the menu and order some pre meal drinks. Personally I really like this approach and it sets the tone for the sort of quality service that you will be getting. I started with the scallops, the were well cooked if a little small, but tasted great.
Both my wife and I having eaten a lot of fish throughout the week decided to go for meat based mains, I chose the Cornish Lamb, whilst my wife opted for the Venison. Both were excellent, but I thought my choice was better as the sauce for the Venison lacked the sort of depth of flavour you require with such a strong meat. For dessert I ordered the Chocolate Brownie - which was quite simply fantastic. My wife orderd the Treacle Tart, which was good, but no-where near as delicious as the Brownie.
Overall a really good restaurant - good food and excellent service.