“Deceptive.”

Archies
Ranked #61 of 82 Restaurants in Looe
Cuisines: British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Swanbourne
“Deceptive.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Looks fab from the outside, but a little like a noisy naff cafe inside. Mass produced food but okay. Served by a very helpful pleasant young man though. Quick and cheerful service, if a little chaotic.

3 Thank Paula M

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Poor service and cheap, bought in food make for the worst meal ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Popped in to Archies on impulse whilst my young family and I were on holiday in Looe.

Archies lists it menu from the outside on chalk boards and consisted of most of the family favourites such as pizza, pasta, fish and chips etc. The restaurant interior it self is pretty basic with wipe clean table clothes.

My experience at Archies didn't get off to the best start when my drink was served it a glass covered in lipstick but this was quickly changed.

To eat we ordered a Hawaiian Pizza and a portion of fries and Fish and Chips. What arrived was the most disgusting thing that has ever passed my lips.

The pizza was a pre-bought low quality base (the kind that was reminiscent of the budget type you got from Iceland in the 80's) and the topping were of similar quality. The fries had been cooked in oil that was past its best so left the fries with a rancid taste.

My wife's 'fish and chips' consisted of cheap bought in minced white 'fish' (this term is used loosely) and soggy batter which was inedible.

The service matched the quality of the food with the waiting staff texting and chatting amongst themselves whilst their customers, myself included went unattended.

Before my visit to Archies if you asked me where the worst meal I have ever had was I honestly couldn't remember. Well now not anymore, that award has been firmly grasped by Archies.

My advice to anyone of thinking of visiting Archies is please don't it is horrific!!

6 Thank bubblewrap_bandit
Looe, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

The outside gives the appearance of a busy, nice restaurant, but don't let that fool you like it did us.

The beer and wine are warm, even when we ask for them to be cold it came back warm again. The starters were over spiced or no flavour at all. The mains looked like they came out of a burger van, cheap tomato sauce, burnt, greasy and tasted like it. £60 down the drain DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY AT ARCHIES!!!

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Steve C
Looe, United Kingdom
“Truly pathetic”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

As our last night in looe we were treating ourselves to a comforting meal out, we came across this small cafe like restaurant that claimed to sell good quality food and hand made pizzas. This seemed ideal for our situation as we walked in. With the three of us there we ordered a total of 3 starters, 3 mains, 2 sides and 3 drinks of which we're warm and tasteless contrary to the waitresses promise of them being 'ice cold'. The three starters were a bowl of mussels that claimed to be swimming in a warm garlic and white wine cream sauce when in actuality were sat in nothing more than lukewarm dish water filled with cheap dry herbs. A garlic bread with cheese which was huge chunks of watery cheap bread topped with some vomit inducing (and slightly green) cheddar . Finally the last starter was one we all agreed was just as disgusting as it sounded, a dish of garlic mushrooms in a red wine sauce, this turned t to in fact be some left over topping from an equally disgusting stroganoff they were serving alongside the main meals of the evening. Leading on from these we hoped our mains would have some flavour, or at least be edible to someone who had just swallowed the vile remains of the stuff they called food. We each ordered one main course and tried to keep them as simple as possible from the less than competent waitress who didn't seem to be able to tell the difference between white and pink due to her taste in wine that we had ordered earlier that evening. The first of our main courses was the mackerel they were advertising especially that evening for some questionable reason, the mackerel was nothing more than bland and overlooked with little to no effort put into the presentation or the cooking alike. Our second main and my personal least favourite was the battered cod and fish, now bear in mind that this is a restaurant/cafe/diner place is right next to the fishing market and a bountiful mound of fresh fish for fairly cheap so when I got my 'freshly caught' mound of soggy frozen fish in a bed of semi-frozen peas (of which I had specifically asked not for) and clearly frozen fries I was little more than furious that they would even dare serve this in what they claimed to be an 'established restaurant'. The final main was a veggie pizza, this one sounded hopefull as they claimed it to be hand cooked and it seemed fairly popular with the locals as they had a takeaway options as well! We'll as it arrived we saw that it was as we originally expected it to be, a frozen base covered in a cheap tomato base and around three or four blocks of cheese just sitting on top slightly topped with 2 mushrooms and a few rancid peppers. Now if their food wasn't bad enough? This entire 'meal' as they call it came to a whopping £60! This was astonishing for the slop they served us. Please take my word and Do Not Go Here! You will regret your experience and leave with an empty stomach just as the other before you.

5 Thank Harmunity
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Will leave you with a big hole in your pocket & indigestion.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Ah Archie's, where do I begin...without a doubt the most vile inedible excuse for a restaurant that I've ever had the misfortune to visit...not only was the food the worst thing I've ever tasted but they even managed to serve truly awful drinks. The restaurant and menu were unimpressive from the start but we decided to give it a go - it couldn't be that bad right?! Wrong...our three starters were garlic cheesy bread - mountains of cheese piled on bread (was ok ish), mussels in white wine and cream sauce...a revolting watery tasteless mess that resembled dishwater...almost choked when the waitress asked if we wanted to keep the bread to mop the juice up...ummm no thanks. The last starter was the weirdest concoction of mushrooms in a red wine sauce...if you took a jar of cheap mixed herbs out of the cupboard and shoved them down your gullet you might get an idea what they were like. But wait, did I mention the drinks? two nasty beers served at room temperature...yes really. After umming and erring I tried ordering a glass of cold white wine (specifying I didn't want it if it were warm), to wash away the taste of the unfinished starter..only to be served initially with a glass of rose, then finally a glass of revolting warm white wine which I refused. The next course was no better, the cod and chips arrived with soggy batter and a tiny, greasy piece of fish, the mackerel was tasteless other than the taste of burnt fish and the pizza was an inedible pile of charred dough with a greasy nasty cheese mountain on top of it - virtually no toppings available and even the ones meant to be on it were nowhere to be seen. The salad that was meant to come with coleslaw, was actually a bowl with a sour nasty flavoured mess at the bottom of the bowl (the coleslaw I'm guessing) and even the miniscule pot of mayonnaise we asked for was really quite nasty. Not wanting to waste any more money on this horrendous meal, we asked for tap water...which of course consisted of a glass of semi warm water plonked in front of us. Slow service, slow staff, vile food - totally ruined our last night in Looe - will leave you with nothing more that a big hole in your pocket, indigestion and bitter disappointment.

3 Thank Swan1305