“Lovely week's stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 60 Looe B&B and Inns
Northants
“Lovely week's stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

What a lovely place to be away from the trials & tribulations of every-day life. Good spacious room (number 7) with panoramic views of the river / estuary below the hotel. Great staff and super restaurant - see my separate review on the restaurant - but the reception lady sorted out my flat tyre with the minimum of fuss and the maximum of efficiency (she didn't change it herself but found a local company who did !!). Long may this place remain the best hotel within many miles of Looe !

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarsbarNorthants

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the Barclay House Hotel for two nights, (Friday and Saturday), in room 9 which is advertised as having a river view with balcony. It does have both, but is at the side of the building and the balcony actually looks over the carpark and stairs to the self catering cottages, the river and housing estate are visable across the car park, but you can not see into Looe intself. I think I was expecting to be able to see the bridge crossing the river and the harbour area, although this had never been stated.The second window behind the bed loked straight onto the rocks of the hillside behind the hotel about 18 inches from the window so no view at all.
The hotel was clean and food was OK, but not what I had expected, I think it is fair to say the hotel itself needs some investment to bring it up to date, its a little dated. Our room had a Jacuzzi bath, which I think was straight out of the 1980's in a dove grey colour.
The staff were all lovely and friendly as well as being helpful.
I might stay there again, but I would look to see what other hotels in the area were available before making my decissiion.
we booked on Late Rooms, saving us £50 a night, and personally I think the rate we paid was still too high for the room and the breakfast.
The hotel resturant is also open to non residence and on the saturday night we could not get parked in the hotel car park so had to use the drive.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
3 Thank AnnT19
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just returned after staying in 2x1 bedroom cottages with our family group including baby and great-grandma. Our grand-daughter, aged 4, loved the pool and gardens. The cottages were clean and well equipped, the restaurant food was excellent and good value in comparison to many others we have sampled in Looe and elsewhere. Also the bar area very relaxed and comfortable. However the best asset to Barclay House has to be ALL the staff. From the initial booking contact and throughout our stay nothing was too much trouble. They were all very friendly and made our family feel at home. Would definitely recommend and hope to return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank catherines_s7
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed at Barclay House for a week in a one bedroom cottage with my 8 yr old daughter - on arrival after a 6 hour journey the staff were extremely welcoming and helped us up to the cottage with our luggage, I was pleasently suprised at the standard of the cottage and suggest the management update the website as the current pictures do not do this place justice. Breakfast was lovely and the waitress was happy to arrange some beans!!! for my daughter to enjoy with her full cornish! The pool area was a delight my daughter loved it- it was a struggle trying to get her away from it! I would definetly reccommend Barclay House I have stayed in several Hotels and B&B's in this area and this is one of the best -Thanks for a lovely stay Barclay House we look forward to seeing you again soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Shropshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just returned from a long weekend.

The setting is magnificent with beautiful views. It is true the short walk down to the town is a little perilous as no pavement on a small part of it but worth it.

Small swimming pool warm and spotless at the back of the property.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us or indeed anyone that needed them. We had rooms 5 and 7. 7 had beautiful bay window whereas ours were smaller but still afforded a good view.

The food in the hotel was fantastic, I mean really good so top marks to the Chef. I would go back just for the food. The waiting staff were also smart, cheerful, friendly and on quite a few occasions offered refreshments when we were just sitting outside. Manageress fabulous.

The only one thing I would say mentioned by some is that it could do with a freshen up but nothing a lick of paint and a damp cloth wouldn't fix.

Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Room 7 had lovely bay windows.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Teresa R
wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights recently and thought it was a lovely hotel with exceptionally friendly staff. The weather was excellent on our first night so we sat out on the terrace for drinks. It is a lovely environment overlooking the river (only complaint here is that it would have been nice if some of the trees had been pruned a bit so that we could have seen more of the view). We ate in the restaurant both nights and found the food very good and reasonably priced. Breakfasts were also very good and our vegetarian requests were accommodated with excellent veggie breakfasts.

The room was a little small but sufficient for our needs. The towels in the bathroom were the fluffiest and best I have ever experienced, having travelled all over the world.

We did a great walk around the river estuary and on over the cliffs. We didn't rate Looe itself though and the walk into town was a little hairy as there is no pavement for part of it.

Our only criticism of the hotel itself was that the wifi was only available by reception and even there it was very flaky.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank saraWiltshire
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed for five nights last week. Stunning views with lovely grounds and gardens. Staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Weather was also very good which I must admit added to our enjoyment. Ate one evening in the restaurant and had a lovely meal. We also had a glass of Camel Valley Champagne sitting out on the terrace and I really felt I was somewhere very special.Can't think of any negatives!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple