“Not My Cup Of 'Cornish' Tea ...”

The Old Bridge House
Ranked #8 of 54 Looe B&B and Inns
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Not My Cup Of 'Cornish' Tea ...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed here from 18th - 22nd of August after a couple of days in Devon. It was quite a risk staying here for five nights being our first guest house, but after reading the glowing reviews how can we go wrong. The only positive attribute I can give it, is the great location peering out over the harbour, but for what it is, its quite expensive and we didn't even pay to have the sumptuous award winning breakfasts we kept reading about, which by the way is only served between eight and nine. Maybe in hindsight, I should've researched the area in more detail because there are hotels better equipped, with more facilities, less expensive and with ample parking. While I'm on the subject lets mention the parking, am I the only customer who has resided here annoyed, fed up, peeved, disappointed about the pathetic parking procedures. You pull up outside the guest house in one of two loading bays, haul your bags up a hill onto some stairs and into the retro 1980's accommodation. Then park your car half a mile away which is pay and display, but you could always park the other side of Looe, which is free as long as you don't mind walking the best part of a mile, at the time risking your car getting scraped or battered by another vehicle. If I would've known about the ridiculous parking procedures in the first placed I'd have stayed elsewhere.
The room was adequate enough, very clean, located on the side of the building with these hideous net curtains which me and my partner loathe, but because of it's location, peering out onto a pedestrian walkway this seemed vital, I would've preferred a brick wall though, or a sound barrier as it was very noisy on occasions with shouting kids and normal folk with raised voices. The TV and décor in the room is old and outdated, but the bathroom is very nice and cleaned daily. Where was the Wi-Fi mentioned, because it wasn't in the very brief accommodation itinerary.
As I've said I can't say much about the so called 'amazing breakfasts', but if that's the best thing I can see other people commenting about then I think that's very sad. If other folk gave an honest review about the accommodation I would've stayed elsewhere. This five night stay has cost me and my partner £470, and wasn't what I expected.
For my first stay in Cornwall I'm very disappointed, there's 'pay & display' parking everywhere, it's probably cost us fifty quid in parking charges. Looe is a beautiful village which was ridiculously overcrowded with people, with thousands of hideous dogs everywhere, I hate dogs and my partner is almost terrified of them. They welcome them nd there smelly selves in pubs, restaurants, shops etc. From now on it's hotels all the way with a host of facilities of sorts, dog proof, better parking and somewhere I can't get bored because there's nothing to do.

10 Thank AntDuce1965

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

My wife and I spent two nights a the Old Bridge House. The welcome was very friendly (with Colin giving great advice on everything from Parking to restaurants) and everything about the hotel was exceptional. Our room was of a generous size, very comfortably furnished and with a really nice (and spotless) en-suite. Better than that was the view over the harbour - woderful! The hotel's honesty bar was an unusal and rather nice feature (my only very minor quibble about the stay being that it contained no Cornish cider!). The breakfast eclipsed anything I've had before - the bacon was more of a chop than a slice and the sausage was large and tasty. Moreover, the breakfast also featured Hog's pudding, which was delicious - try it! All in all, superb - just need an excuse to return!

Room Tip: A harbour view is well worth having.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My family and I stayed here as we were due to attend a wedding nearby. Colin and Liz were perfect hosts in this delightful B&B. The rooms were exceedingly clean and tastefully furnished. The view of the harbour from the balcony was glorious, the dining room tastefully furnished, the full English breakfast excellent and the honesty bar well stocked. Colin and Liz were very accommodating (taking photos of us in our wedding attire, advising on parking and in general, extremely helpful). We would recommend this bed and breakfast most highly. It is most definitely a perfect B&B to stay in. We take away happy memories of our stay here.

Room Tip: Room 4. This is a twin-bedded room which overlooks the harbour.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Sandown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We love our stay at the Old Bridge House in Looe. Colin and Liz made us feel very welcome. Colin's excellent knowledge of the local area made sure we made the most of our two day stay. The breakfast was a real treat and fantastic start to the day. The balcony is perfect for watching the activity in the harbour. We so look forward to our next visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lloret de Mar, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We went on holidays and Looe seemed to be the perfect base to visit Cornwall. Stayed at The Old Bridge House for two nights, it was the best choice that we could do. In fact, it is one of the best B&B I've ever been.
About location, it's on West Looe, wich is separated from East Looe by a bridge. You can easily get to the restaurants and shops zone in East Looe in a short five minutes walk; so you are in the center and far from it at the same time. Parking: there are two public parking zones, one for free (10 minutes walk), and the other that is "Pay and display" (2 minutes walk), but it's free from 6PM to 9AM, and after you can pay 0,60L to extend the ticket until 10AM.
Free wifi with good signal.
This house is overlooking the river, and the views are simply excellent. Once inside, absolutely all details are taken into account about decoration, services, drinks, guides, brochures, and the best of all: the warming welcome of Mr. Colin (the host) and his predisposition to make you stay simply excellent. I just have the chance to speak with her wife once, and she was really kind too.
The room we stayed was spacious, with great views, en-suite, comfortable king size bed, with a high sleep quality.
I don't need to remark that the level of cleanliness in the house can't be higher.
There is a self tiny bar, to have a drink and stay there in the evening or after dinner: spirits, whiskies, soft drinks, beers...
Breakfast is the highlight here: you are asked to order the mains the day before, so they cook it at the moment (full english, pastries, croissants, omelettes, porridge, pancakes...), as well as cereals, muesli, fresh fruit, juice, milk, or coffee. Tasteful and really good food presentation.
To sum up, I would like to insist in the fact of the hospitality of the host (excellent), the facilities, and the breakfast.
I would not hesiate to come back again to stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PezFish
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The owners, Liz and Colin are great hosts. You can always chat to them. Colin knows Looe like his own pocket and recommended few good restaurants to us. The hotel is cosy and very clean. The breakfast room overlooks the lovely harbor which adds to the pleasure of eating fresh, generous breakfast portion. Make sure your try their pancakes! The only minus are seagulls making noise 24/7, which is especially disturbing at night. But hey, you cant do much about them.
Easy to find, lovely location, great value. We enjoyed our stay very much!

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just returned from a 4 night break (Aug 7/8) The welcome from Colin, (fellow Bristolian) was so warm and this was enhanced from Liz serving us a wonderful breakfast each day. The rooms were very clean, considered design and good facilities, with a view to die for. Do try the Hog's pudding within the breakfast and even the poached eggs were cooked to perfection, which I have had issues with in 5 star hotel's, well done Colin. This is as close to a 5 start hotel, but a B&B, that you will find. Will be back and will take up the offer of the honesty bar next time!

Room Tip: Try and book a room to the front for the best vista! Millbrook car pack by far the easiest.