“The Perfect Cornish Retreat - For Humans and Dogs!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 56 reviews

Reviews from our community

Road81701...
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“The Perfect Cornish Retreat - For Humans and Dogs!”
Reviewed 21 September 2018 for a stay in August 2018
people found this review helpful

We'd booked to come and stay at Captains Cottage last year after seeing all the amazing reviews. A friend stayed prior to our holiday this year and had an amazing time, so we were very excited to go on our much anticipated holiday.

We've stayed in lots of holiday rentals in Cornwall but I have to say Captains Cottage was by far the most comfortable, well equipped, immaculately clean and beautifully decorated. It definitely felt five star. We took our two Cockapoos, Charlie and Max, and they absolutely loved the location of the property and the woodland walk from the doorstep, which we did most days, not to mention the trip to the local pub!

The cottage is situated down a quiet country lane and feels off the beaten track to begin with, but is actually very well located to Looe town, Whitsand Bay, Polperro, Kingsands and Cawsands, Talland and other great little places to explore. Especially when all you crave is peace and quiet after a busy week at work!

The cottage is light and airy with lots of modern touches. All too often we book dog friendly accommodation and its brown sofas, brown carpet and brown decor is dull, boring and lacking that homely feel. Captains is far from that. It feels like the perfect coastal retreat. Very near to some fabulous beaches, but just far enough away from the noise and throngs of holiday’s maker in town at this time of year.

The owner recommended lots or great places and dog friendly beaches to visit; we would never have gone to otherwise. We enjoyed hidden or less well-known beaches to ourselves, while everyone headed for the very busy local beach in town.

With so many places still to explore, we cannot wait to return. I think we may have found the perfect dog friendly and human friendly holiday cottage!

I nearly didn't write this review, mainly because I would like to keep this hidden gem to myself, but credit where credit is due, this place is fabulous and having helped my family run a boutique B&B myself some years ago, I know only too well, how difficult it can be to maintain such accommodation to such a high standard, whilst being dog and child friendly.

Linda_Car...
“Absolutely fabulous - Our best holiday yet!”
Reviewed 13 September 2018 for a stay in September 2018
people found this review helpful

We booked Captains Cottage following recommendations from friends and family that had stayed here previously and had a wonderful time.

The cottage is tucked was down a quiet, but beautiful country lane, which was perfect for our nervous dogs, but close enough to Looe town and the local beaches (5 minutes by car) and Polperro (ten minutes by car), that we could explore to our hearts content, without having too far to trek home or handle the busy end of season holiday crowds.

What attracted us to this cottage, other than the prior recommendations, was the beautiful decor and close proximity to both Devon and Cornwall. The cottage didn't disappointed - with its freshly painted walls and new, modern but cosy interior, it felt like somewhere a little bit special where we could relax in a little bit of luxury. The perfect home away from home.

The cottage was equipped with everything we needed to enjoy our stay. Literally, the only thing we had to buy was food! The owner had thought of every little detail you could possibly want in a holiday rental, and then some. The whole group agreed, it was by far the best holiday rental we have every stayed in, and the fact that it was beautifully clean, fresh crisp linen and towels, whilst being dog friendly, was a distinct bonus.

The nearest dog friendly beach was 5 minutes by car and there were several beaches to choose from. We also enjoyed the walk to Seaton beach through local woodland next to the cottage which the dogs loved. We walked to the dog friendly local pub on two evenings, which was great. We also enjoyed fab fish and chips from The Coddy Shack, just outside of Looe.

All in all, we had a fantastic holiday, made all the better by our amazing accommodation. Nothing was too much trouble for the owner and our only complaint, is that we have to wait until Spring before we can return :)

Date of stay: September 2018
Vicki T
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Another dream weekend”
Reviewed 12 September 2018 for a stay in August 2018
person found this review helpful

I recently had a long weekend break in Captains cottage returning after a year.
I wasn’t going to bother with another testimonial until I read the recent one Star review - are they sure they stayed at the same cottage?
It is in a beautiful location just a few minutes drive from stunning beaches and 10 minutes from the quaint harbour town of Looe - I can only say that for anyone thinking of booking I promise you will not be disappointed - we will be returning for the 3rd time next year

Reviewed 10 September 2018 for a stay in August 2018

Date of stay: August 2018
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
12 Sep 2018
We've rented out our lovely holiday cottage, Captains Cottage, for nearly four years now. As you will see from our previous reviews, in that timeframe we've had some great guests, but sadly there will always be a time when you host a guest that is an exception to that rule. This guest was that exception.

In an attempt to remain professional, I shall not name names, and shall refer to the individual simply as ‘the guest’.

The guest concerned originally booked our cottage for a week in August 2017 having paid a deposit, but phoned me shortly after booking to ask whether she could move her holiday to August 2018, owing to some changes in personal circumstances. We are not obliged to move holiday bookings once booked, but found a cancellation in the following year and did so, because we are reasonable people and we didn’t want the guest to lose out on a holiday or lose her deposit.

The guest arrived for their holiday a few weeks ago in August of this year, and everything seemed to be going fine, when a builder working on the roof of an adjacent property to Captains Cottage, noticed the backdoor to our holiday cottage had been left wide open all day (from 9am to 5pm), with no sign of the holiday guests.

As owner of the property, I was contacted at work and advised of the matter. A local neighbour had already popped around and knocked on the door of our holiday cottage and called into the back garden, but received no answer.

I left work early and followed the same procedure. When I received no answer at the cottage, I entered through the open back door to find our holiday home left in a terrible state.

At first glance I thought it had been burgled, however a handbag and what looked to be a camera, had been left on the kitchen table in full view of the main window, and on further inspection, I realised the cottage had in fact been left in this condition by the current holiday guests, who had then gone out for the day, leaving the cottage door wide open / unlocked.

I locked up the cottage and contacted the guests advising them of the situation and the fact that leaving the cottage unlocked / un attended with doors left wide open, effectively renders our insurance void and could they please ensure they left the cottage secure in future.

Several hours went past with no response to my message, which I thought was odd under the circumstances. The guests arrived back to the cottage an hour after my message was left, however didn’t deem it fit or courteous to respond until much later in the evening, when, instead of thanking me for taking time out from my job to come and lock up and secure the cottages, instead sent a barrage of abusive, threatening messages. Some of which have continued until the date of this review.
When the guests checked out the following day (on their designate check out day), they had thankfully tidied up somewhat, but had left the carpet in the living room in such appalling condition, it took 2 hours to be professionally cleaned before the next guests arrived. Damage which the guest has since admitted to and paid for out of their damage deposit.

I am obviously saddened to receive this review, especially because we always work so hard to ensure our guests have a good holiday in pleasant, comfortable surroundings.

As for the guests claims that our description of the cottage and its location is misleading, well, I think our other genuine reviews will highlight that these claims are disingenuous and just simply sour grapes.

Indeed, the guests partner told my neighbour on check-out, what a lovely stay they had all enjoyed.
isabelleb...
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Captains Cottage”
Reviewed 20 August 2018 for a stay in August 2018
people found this review helpful

This cottage is just perfect. A little piece of peace and calm in the most stunning surroundings. Im booking again. Thoroughly recommend.

DVS59
England
“The perfect cottage, a great location and lovely weather - also pet friendly!”
Reviewed 14 July 2018 for a stay in June 2018
people found this review helpful

We have stayed in so many self catering places in the UK and abroad over more than 20 years and Captain's Cottage is the best ever. The cottage is wonderful, it has everything you need such as wifi, a dvd, a dishwasher, washing machine and the kitchen is so well equipped with plenty glasses, mugs, cutlery and utensils. Two lovely bedrooms, toilets upstairs and down with a shower room downstairs and a bath upstairs. We had small dog and the baby gate to stop wandering paws going to the upper level was a great idea. We had trips out to many places in Cornwall and all are within a couple hours drive including Lands End and St Ives. It was lovely to arrive to a place that was spotlessly clean and in our two week stay it felt like home from home. Of course we had lovely weather and that helped. Thanks Jane and Sam

Date of stay: June 2018
Elizabeth...
“Idyllic Cornish Retreat.”
Reviewed 10 June 2018 for a stay in June 2018

We have just returned from a lovely 5 days in Cornwall, 5 mins away from Looe. Situated down a farm road and tucked away at the end is Captain’s Cottage, a home from home with every little detail taken into account, and all that you need for the perfect holiday. Even the gentle mooing of the cows in the morning added to the idyllic location. Highly recommend for a perfect escape, located close to the lovely dog friendly beaches of Seaton and Downderry, and only a short car ride to local places such as Fowey, Polperro, Padstow. Even the weather was perfect. Thank you Jane and Sam. We would love to return very soon.

Date of stay: June 2018
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.