2 people are viewing this hotel
Breakfast included
No booking fees
Skyscanner.com
£121
All reviews coach trip coach party sunday carvery balcony room roast potatoes overlooking the harbour lovely hotel east looe yorkshire pudding hotel is situated single room family room cooked to perfection weekend break lovely view enjoyable stay cream tea
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 October 2023

We travelled with Parrys coaches for a week at the Portbyhan Hotel, and this was our second visit this year. The location is just fabulous, we had a river view room again which was well worth the small supplement.
The housekeeping team were excellent, and they kept our room clean and fresh throughout the week. The bar has a lovely relaxing atmosphere and all the staff in the restaurant were just so polite nothing was too much trouble for them when we asked for extra toast or tea etc, ( we wanted to mention Matt and Jade, who were both so pleasant and friendly).

Jackie is the F&B manager and she made sure that we were happy with our meals - I have to say the menu was very good, and suited us down to the ground. The fish dishes were particularly good 😊

Entertainment was very good, particularly on Saturday evening when singing duo Driftwood played in the bar, they were really brilliant fun and we had a great time - thanks for a memorable evening!

All in all, I can heartily recommend The Portbyhan, the staff are so hardworking and make it a friendly and relaxing place to enjoy the lovely town of Looe. Thanks to all of you, we really enjoyed our time there.

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lindsey Bailey-Lewis, Owner at Portbyhan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2023

Dear poorbuthappy10,

Thank you for your review.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent trip to us!
Your comments are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share them with the team.
Hopefully we will welcome you again one day in the near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 October 2023 via mobile

One of the best carvery’s we’ve ever been to! My husband was so impressed I think I got fed up of hearing “crikey that’s one of the best roasts I’ve ever eaten” about a million times over! We visited with my in laws whilst they were visiting us (we live locally) and it was our first visit. Four adults and four children, we rang on the day on the off chance they could accommodate us and they were more than happy to fit us in. The restaurant is lovely and spacious with great views over Looe. The carvery itself was delicious, and well priced. If I had only one negative point it would be that carvery is all that is on the menu so our 9 year old (ND) son was quite upset he couldn’t have his usual “pub” offering that he gets when we visit another local carvery because as much as I can get him to pick at a roast at home I do begrudge paying £7.50 for him to basically eat nothing. Fortunately for everyone else it was money well spent and the drinks were also reasonably priced for a hotel as well. They also offer a locals discount card at reception so we will definitely be back!

Room tip: Locals discount card available with proof of residence
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear myfourcornwallandme,

Thank you for your review.
We were delighted to read your comments and thank you so much for sharing them. We would love to welcome you again and next time, please let us know in advance and we will be more than happy to make something for your son! We cant have him being left out now :)
Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2023

Travelled with my daughter on a Blake's coach weekend. Cream rea on arrival, which was a welcoming touch. Blessed with wonderful weather, the who experience was a delight. The hotel is clean, food very good, service excellent and the crown in the jewel is the staff. Always pleasant, helpful and friendly under the watchful eye of Jacky their mother hen. I can't recommend the Porthyan highly enough. Do pay the supplement for a river view, well worth it. My only gripe is the roast potatoes, very hard to cut, but I'm nit picking.

Room tip: Book a room with a view.
Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Lindsey Bailey-Lewis, Owner at Portbyhan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2023

Dear mollywG515PW,

Thank you for your review.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will be sure to share your kind comments with the team and we hope to welcome you both again.
If we can be of any assistance with a future reservation, please contact us directly on 01503 262071.

Reviewed 26 September 2023

We found the hotel excellent , very nice room with balcony (that could have done with a clean). staff very friendly and helpful.
Only downside was on the sunday morning service for breakfast was was not very good.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lindsey Bailey-Lewis, Owner at Portbyhan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2023

Dear trish123tg,

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us but I was disappointed that we fell short on breakfast. This is not the feedback generally received and I hope will not deter you from returning.
Whilst our location gives a lovely harbour view, the local painters (seagulls) can often decorate shortly afterwards which we try our best to keep on top of.

Hopefully, we will welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 September 2023

We went for the Sunday carvery and although we hadn't booked a table they found us a table in the bar next to the window. They food was lovely. Yorkshire puddings amazing. Plenty of choice of vegetables and lovely gravy. Staff were all friendly and helpful. Lovely and clean place. My only criticism is the windows overlooking the river. Who ever designed them sho8ld really think again. They look new and when you sit at the table you only see the road or roof tops there is a big frame right through the middle so you can't see the water and boats. BUT I would certainly visit again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lindsey Bailey-Lewis, Owner at Portbyhan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2023

Dear rwb28,

Thank you for your review.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us and very much hope to welcome you again in future. Perhaps next time we can book you in to the restaurant where the views are uninterrupted. I appreciate what you are saying about the windows - but on stunning summer days these windows retract fully for amazing views too :)