“Perfect stay!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Acton, London
“Perfect stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

Like the last reviewer, I don't do reviews on hotels/restaurants etc but I felt compelled to give this a whirl and share my thoughts! In total contrast to that person, I thought the Sunnyside was fantastic :-). Clean, friendly staff, and cheap. I've just returned from a week in Newquay with 3 other friends, and overall, we had such a good time. We paid £135 each for the week. The weather was great, the nightlife was fab, and the hotel was perfect for our needs. We shared a bunk room. Room was bright, clean, and had comfortable beds. OK, not massive, but we didn't really spend anytime there. We were on a surfing and stay package which meant we were out most the day. The guys in the surf school were awesome- defo recommend the surfing! Really friendly and great patience with us novices! All in all, ace ;-) Recommend for sure A+++

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

I've never felt compelled to write a hotel review before but after my recent stay at Sunnyside, I feel oliged to warn others! We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night and had booked a bunk room for four people. The room would have been just about big enough for one person, let alone four. This is unacceptable at a rate of £32.50 pppn (you can stay in central London in a four star hotel for that price!) The room was very hot and stuffy, even though it wasn't a particularly warm weekend. The bathroom was tiny and pretty grubby. Admittedly the location is very nice and central but that's about all this 'hotel' has going for it.

• Stayed June 2009
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ssh57, Manager at Hotel Sunnyside Newquay, responded to this review, 11 July 2009
As per our previous comments with regard to our rooms, we do feel we advertise our hotel in a fair and representative way. Our bunk rooms are basic and compact, however, they are designed with groups in mind who just require a base for their time in Newquay. As the vast majority of reviews on tripadvisor will confirm, our rooms are cleaned to a high standard and I feel obliged to contest any comments to the contrary. With regard price, our room rates are competitive for the type of hotel we operate. We would encourage readers to search other hotels in Newquay to confirm this. We are often less expensive than mixed dorm-style rooms with shared bathrooms- all our rooms are private and en-suite. Granted, in London you may be able to find rooms for a similar price through pre-booked full payment offers. We run comparable deals throughout the year for advance bookings ourselves (£42.50 was our June rack rate- discounts of up to 25% from this rate were available). However, you cannot compare pricing between the two destinations as London benefits from 7 night, all year round trade; leisure and corporate. Newquay and other seasonal resorts rely solely on weekends and summer bookings.
73surfer73
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

Sunnyside was the perfect place to stay for our surf weekend. Basic by functional rooms provide cost effect accomodation, with the bonus of hotel bar, pool tables, restruant and a surf school....c'mon...what more do you want - we'd go back tomorrow. Overall a great place to stay - not the height of luxury...but hey, we were there for surfing/coasteering etc.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

A big thank you to Lee and his staff for looking after a group of 14 of us - we all had a great time! The hotel has a fantastic view overlooking the park and bay, and you feel relaxed the minute you look out to see and take it all in!
The staff are all very friendly and relaxed, nothing was any trouble, and we were made to feel very welcome throughout our stay.
The hotel bar and pool tables and newly decorated and well thought out.
The rooms we stayed in were clean and well maintained.
Breakfast was in the restaurant next door, which was equally well decorated, organised, and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
I will be back!

• Stayed June 2009
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

First the good side. I reckon this hotel got very good location and fairly cheap price. I booked a two person bunk room for 17.5 quid per night. You can't beat the price. The bed was clean. The room was quiet. Old, narrow but still tidy. The toilet was fine and the consistent hot water in the shower. Water pressure was powerful as well. Although they didn't provide kettle in the bunk room, but the reception was happy to help when we asked. During my stay, I did feel comfortable. Only 17.5 quid, what a bargain.

Yet still down side, the service. Firstly, I enquired the hotel if we could arrive and put our luggages in the luggage room at 6am and they answered yes. However a day before my arrival I rang them again to make sure the plan and they said there would be nobody at 6am and told me to arrive at 8am. It was not very helpful for me because I had already booked my coach. Secondly, I had booked three nights online. A week before I went there, I decided to book one more night. I rang the hotel and asked whether I should pay in advance by my debit card or by cash on the day of arrival. They told me it's ok to pay cash on the day of arrival but two days later they charged my debit card, without my approval!

Of course I asked for seeing manager when I arrived. But they insisted the manager would not come. And the reception told me the reason for I could only arrive after 8am was because the guest last night cancelled their booking. So they didnt need anyone to stay at the hotel during the night. So that nobody would be at the hotel at 6am! For the debit card thing, they said they only accepted booking with full amount payment and there must be some misunderstanding between their new employee and me. After the explanation, they did not even wanna make up for these things at all. The last minor inconvenience was they claimed wifi on their website but it just did not work practically during my stay.

I do hope they could improve, even with the increase of their tariff. It could be such a incredibly wonderful place.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

If you read a bad review about this place, IGNORE IT!!!!!!!!!! Comfortable beds, great staff, brilliant location, cheap, and very comfortable beds!! Maybe notthe place to take kids, but perfect for everything else.

• Stayed May 2009
essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2008

ok first things first, i think ppl expectations are too high, you must remember this is a hotel which operates at very resanable prices with a perfect location.
ok so rooms ant great but for anyone whome like myself just wanted a bed to sleep in then this is fine, the bar is lovely, pool tables internet everthing ya could want, doorman at night was brilliant really good company behind the bar.
overal id say that for the money they charged our group we got a real bargain and and this is my first choice hotel wen i come back.

• Liked — modern bar
  • Disliked — rooms were slightly dated but am told that they will be refurbed soon
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)