“An all-round fantastic stay, thank you.”
Review of The Pentire Hotel

The Pentire Hotel
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“An all-round fantastic stay, thank you.”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed back in May for a long weekend. Great location and views, everything in the rooms and common areas was spotlessly clean and tidy and most importantly, every member of staff that I met was extremely friendly and helpful. They really did everything they could to make me feel at home. I ate several meals on site during my stay and I have to say that all of the food was excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Manchester
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I did not expect top class quality when I booked here, but it was very tired, not particularly spacious for a "large double room". No bath ( as asked for) just a shower. The floor in the room was on a slant and the dressing table was neither use nor ornamant. Walls stained, carpet threadbare, was I glad this was an "upgraded room" and not a standard !!!! I know that times are hard for the tourist trade, but they really need to keep standards up to stay in buisness.
Breakfast was hilarious, we went into breakfast expecting to sit down !!, but no, we were asked where did we sit yesterday, my answer of about 200 miles away as we were not here yesterday, seemed to confuse the barely english speaking helper, who then did not know what to do with us, so the staff went into meltdown, not knowing where we were to sit ( loads of spare tables available ). So we were left standing in the middle of the dining room, like a warm up act waiting to be announced, for a good 5 minutes. My partner who is American found the whole experiance, like an episode of Fawlty Towers. The breakfast was OK, but one look in the Urn containing what was descibed as "porridge" was like a scene from a Hammer Horror B movie, bubbling like some Witches brew and smelling dreadful ! it was so bad that people were coming to have a look ! I mentioned it to the waiter, who appeared to pour something in the urn to water it down. OMG !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KevinC235
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Pentire Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
We are concerned to read your comments. Our reasons for this are that the majority of our 75 rooms have been refurbished with brand new carpets, new curtains, bathrooms and bedroom furniture. We fully recognised the importance of these investments and were delighted with our new ‘3 Star’ accreditation awarded last year in recognition of this work. We are also receiving regular positive feedback on the friendliness of our hotel staff, the tasty food we are serving and the many additional investments taking place. None of our rooms are ever advertised as ‘Large’ doubles and we have no bedrooms with threadbare carpets. Piping hot porridge for breakfast is kept piping hot in a ‘bain-marie’. What you may have noticed was nothing other than the waiter simply topping up the hot water in the ‘bain-marie’ . We do hope that this helps to add some balance to your initial points.
swindon
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My wife and I have just spent a lovely week in Newquay where we stayed at the Pentire Hotel The hotel was very tidy and clean as was the room bed linen and bathroom were pristine the food was very enjoyable albeit was somewhat exotic I would like to have seen some traditional alternatives ie roast beef/pork,however the chefs steak and kidney pie was the best we have ever had and we are in our 80s,the staff were very friendly and helpful, would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank butcherx
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Stayed at Pentire hotel last week for a family wedding. The hotel is a little tired and dated. We stayed in an upgraded ocean view family room with inter connecting door. The room was horrible, stained ceiling, lamp shade, chipped toilet seat and just generally of a low standard. On the plus side, the staff were great, the wedding room was beautiful and as it was their first wedding, you would never have known. Everything was seamless and the hot and cold buffet was plentiful and of a good standard. If they could get the accommodation right, then they would be onto a real winner.

Room Tip: The renovated large doubles are much better than family rooms, kids felt they were staying in a cupb...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chruchfamily
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Pentire Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
We are really pleased that you enjoyed the wedding celebrations so much. Everything went to plan and the wedding room did look fabulous. We would like to apologise for the stained ceiling/lampshade in your room. There had been a leak, which unfortunately did leave some water marks. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are now fixing this straight away together with the chipped toilet seat. We do hope that this didn’t affect your stay with us too much, and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Bradford
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Staff lovely, but service slow as we were the last table to be served no matter what time we arrived for meals. The portions were minute and veg often cold. The cheese board for 7 nights was 3 cream crackers, 3 slivers of cheese. The veg 1 small and 1 large piece of cauliflower and the same of broccoli and 4 small pieces of potato and that was to serve 2 people. We had bread pudding one night and i asked if i could have seconds and was told no. The breakfasts were good. Our room was tiny but it had quality bedding. The curtains were drab and dated, no wardrobe just a wooden pole and only one chair. there was mould in the bathroom and it gave the appearance of being shabby. For what it costs i would not return very disappointing. Didnt have much of an outlook. Wall paper peeling from walls.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank michelenorthern
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Pentire Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
We are sorry to read some of your comments, and agree that our hotel staff are lovely and always try to be as helpful as possible. In balance, we receive many compliments about our food and generous portion sizes. If any guest would like more, they are most welcome and need only ask. As our bread & butter pudding is always popular, we would only say 'no' to 2nd helpings if there was no more left to serve. We do apologise if your vegetables were not hot enough. Had this been brought to our attention, we would have replaced them immediately for you. Our sea-view rooms do enjoy spectacular Fistral beach views and majority have now been refurbished. Please be assured of our very best intentions.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Just returned from a Justgo four night holiday at the Pentire Hotel. The holiday didn’t have a good start as my mum had a severe attack of sciatica and couldn’t make it onto the coach so I had to be Billy No Mates! When I booked there was only a double room with seaview available but I asked Justgo to check with the hotel to see if there was a chance of getting twin beds but as I didn’t hear anything I assumed I had to be in a double bed with mum. Anyway, when I got the keys to room 315 on the top floor I couldn’t see the sea so I rung down to reception and they said that they hadn’t had the supplement for a seaview but I had been given a double family room which had an adjoining room with twin beds. I went down to reception and they rang Justgo and apparently there was a credit of £48 on my account so they had obviously sorted out a change of rooms but forgot to tell me. As it was, a room with an adjoining room was wasted on me even though from the brief glimpse I think it would have been a refurbished one. At reception they said that they had one seaview room left and gave me the key to 305 and said that if I preferred it I could have it at no supplement and take the credit from Justgo.

Room 305 was right at the end on the top floor so had a window to the side as well as a lovely seaview and even though it obviously hadn’t been refurbished and was something out of the 1980’s I really liked it and decided to take that one. I have stayed in top hotels in London as well as all over the world and of course this can’t compete, but it reminded me of staying with my Nan, old fashioned but very clean and the sea view was so lovely, I decided to take it.

What struck me from the start was the friendliness of the staff in reception and I am sure in some hotels they would have not been so keen to give a sea view without trying to get a supplement out of me. This is only my second coach holiday, the first being to The Royal in Whitby with Shearings last October when I took my Dad and I was expecting a similar standard of food, all done on the cheap. How wrong I was, and everyone to a man said how lovely the food was.

Breakfast started at 8 which was fine for us as we were on coach outings anyway but I can understand if people were travelling independently and needed to make an early start it could be annoying. We lined up to get our juice and help ourselves to porridge, prunes, grapefruit, melon slices etc. or get a box of cereal and add milk. The waiters and waitresses were locals and so lovely and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. If you wanted two rashers of bacon not a problem, wanted poached egg with your kippers, nothing was set in stone. The toast was lovely and hot and the butter was Cornish. One day I had the continental and the croissant had been crisped in the oven not the microwave and so had the wholemeal roll which came with some edam slices, lovely ham and sliced tomato which was so nice. It’s the little things like warming the croissant and the roll in the oven that are the sign that they care. The three course evening meals were the biggest surprise and I just don’t know how they did it for the money. There was always a choice of three things with the addition of cheese and biscuits as a fourth dessert choice and coffee or tea to finish. The soup was always home-made and lovely and while I was there I had steak and ale pie which came with fresh, not frozen, veg and the portions are enormous and it was absolutely delicious. I had a duck breast that had been slow braised so melted in your mouth and the size of the chicken breast with the chicken chasseur was too much for some people to finish! All served with veg on the side to help yourself. I particularly liked the sticky toffee pudding and custard and the apple crumble and custard but wished that I had chosen the treacle tart which I noticed someone had with fresh cream as well as some vanilla ice cream.

One night we had a man who played umpteen different instruments and was a bit of a comedian and the crowds loved him and were singing along and he went on at 8.15 and after a 15 minute break, went on till 11. The next night we had an illusionist which I enjoyed and having been on eleven cruises was on a par with the acts that I had seen. Mind you, many sneaked out as they were worried that they would be picked on to take part! The next night was bingo but we just chatted in the bar area.

I didn't venture down to the indoor pool, but many did and they said it was really nice but said the changing area was not that brilliant. Kept meaning to at least have a look, but didn't get around to it.

The hotel is lovely if you want to go for walks overlooking the sea and we walked down to the beach that was full of surfers. I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel, it is a bit tired and frayed around the edges but seeing as the holiday started off as a disaster as I was to experience my first holiday in my life on my own, I felt really at ease and happy there. The staff are the biggest asset together with the food and the lovely sea view.

Room Tip: Sea view room lovely
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank SandraWallis
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We have just been here with Just Go Coaches from Mon-Fri.it was excellent value for the money,the food was also excellent and a nice choice of menu,the staff were all very friendly and nothing too much trouble for them,the room was large and very clean,wish we could have stayed longer

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple