“New year stay”

Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
London
“New year stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

This is the third time we have spent the new year in this hotel, for a three night break in four years and it has plenty to commend it.... It is family run and the staff are polite and helpful and it represents great value for money... We had a comfortable newly refurbished room with comfortable beds..... The star, is the food which is excellent with great choice, well cooked and plentiful which was served efficiently by the excellent waiting staff the, bar costs were no different to all other hotels and getting a drink was never a problem....... But a great part of the new year is entertainment which the hotel laid on over the three nights.... The first night was a singer who was superb and got most people up dancing I have to say he sounded as good if not better than the original artists, very enjoyable...New years eve however, was a very different matter the entertainer, was well past his sell by date and his act mostly consisted of playing a number of musical instruments, including the bagpipes, telling very feeble jokes, and terrible singing along to records contrasting with the night before not many people got up to dance its difficult to dance to the sailors hornpipe which was one of his turns it was I'm afraid to say woeful, but a few seemed to enjoy it,,,I'm sorry to knock this hotel at all because apart from this I would recommend it as great value for money but really must do better on New years Eve

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank power999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Camelford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

My Family and me had the pleasure of staying in this Hotel. The location was easy to find, the Hotel was above average for Newquay. The Staff were 5 star, always smiling and always wiling to be of assistance. All in all, a wise choice for the Wedding Reception for my eldest son and his wife. It was just perfect. The only slight chritisism ws the amount of food for breakfast, I feel it should have been more substaintial.

The price for the rooms was a reasonable £35 per person per night. Very good for a Hotel as we often visit a B & B in my favourite city, lovely Wells, Somerset and it cost more than the Pentire Hotel.

If you plan a trip to Newquay, check out the Pentire. It is not the most attractive building from the outside but inside, it is very good. A wise choice we made in using this Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Atlanitic Ocean were excellent value for money. It is worth seeking a room wit...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

This is a hotel that punches well above its 3 stars. We have visited before and it gets better and better on each visit. We spent 4 nights here from the 24th November. Our party found the staff, accommodation, food and facilities all to be excellent. We must have come across 10 staff during our stay and all appeared to be local (which is unusual these days) and were very approachable, open and friendly and could not do enough for you. For example, at meal times, a request for a change in the food offered or for extra coffee, toast etc was always met with a smile and prompt service. Breakfast is my favorite meal here and at home. Here you can help yourself to juice and cereals; I had porridge every day. And this is followed up with a full English, toast and fresh coffee. An example of the staff caring is that we came down one day to find the indoor pool was out of action. We were disappointed but not surprised as we could see the roof of the pool was inundated with water from the persistent rain. The staff were very apologetic and said they were doing all they could to get it working - when we got back to our rooms we received a phone call that the pool was now ready, which shows you just how much they care. We had 3 rooms, 1 single and 2 doubles and they were excellent, modern and kept clean and supplied with tea, coffee etc and fresh towels when needed. Even the busy cleaning staff were were friendly and welcoming. As for the food, the first night the hotel just happened to be serving a Christmas meal which was excellent and the crackers and mince pies was an unexpected treat. The meals had plenty of options for each course. Over 4 days I also had for as a main: roast beef, gammon steak, and a beef and ale pie. Unfortunately they also have desserts, which I do not normally go for, however with offers like sticky toffee pudding, well I joined in and all the desserts were delicious. Again the chap behind the bar was very friendly and explained the drinks and prices. I went for the Tribune pulled ale for under £3.50 which was very good. We also had Merlot for I think £12 a bottle which is very reasonable for a bar/restaurant. I did have one meal that I thought was poor but that was in Padstow: Rick Stein does a special, winter discounted, Cod and Chips, bread & butter and a half pint of Korev Cornish lager £7.95 (or tea for £1 less). The Cod was fresh but watery, I prefer mine drier and the chips were mostly small and crisper. As for the facilities, I've mentioned the swimming pool, oddly I was not so keen to use it as I remembered as being small but its plenty big enough to exercise in and the temperature is just right. The bar area is divided into 2, you could sit in the bar area that is very comfortable (or in a lounge away from the bar) and there is an 'entertainment' room which we did not visit as we tended to be up early and go out but saw people dancing and appearing to have a good time. The other guests we found to be very friendly and varied from a couple of surfer dudes, some couples, some families with young children to a coach party with more mature folk. We would definitely visit the Pentire again. Taking the price of the holiday, I just do not know how they managed to supply such a wonderful service. It rained almost non-stop but the hotel more than made up for the this. My only issue is that I weigh around 10stone but now appear to have put on a 1/2 pound.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank basilbane
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Pentire Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
This is lovely feedback for us all to receive. Thank you. We will pass on your kind comments and hope to extend a warm welcome to you all again soon. Our best regards from everyone at the Pentire Hotel
Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

A refurbished hotel, Offers excellent food, service, and entertainment.
Good deals can be found here.
Mostly quiet as situated a road or two back from seafront.
Walk to Fistral beach about 5 - 10 mins, same to Gannel estuary.

Room Tip: Rooms at REAR of hotel have a seaview
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank foldingcamper
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Having read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, I was slightly nrevous when I took a coachload of people to the Pentire hotel for a weekend break. However, I need not have worried. The hotel was above expectation - the staff very curteous and friendly, especially the waiters at meal times, the rooms were clean and tidy, service was excellent all round and all those on the coach were very impressed and full of praise. The evening meals and breakfasts were excellent, and the leisure facilities were more than adequate. I will certainly have no worries whatsoever should I be asked to arrange a holiday again to the Newquay area, and I have already decided on my choice of hotel. Excellent all round.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Irfon S
dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

My Partner and I booked a two night, half board mid week break with a sea view for £163. We arrived on a sunny but cold day and the view from our room was amazing well worth the £24 upgrade. The staff at the Pentire Hotel were all very helpful and polite. The room was on the slightly small size but was comfortable. Perhaps the shower could of been a bit more powerful but did not spoil our stay. The Hotel in places did seem a bit tired and could do with a bit of a lick of paint.
The pool looked great although we did not use it (Forgot our swim wear :-( ) The meals were OK. Our first night was a Christmas themed night meal. I LOVED IT. Partner not to keen. The suggestion of school dinner came into conversation! The lift's were not working on our stay but help with our luggage was offered at the reception when we booked in. Lastly, especially if you have a sea view room. Keep you window closed .... SEAGULLS. Rather loud first thing in the morning.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view. you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike2310
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

we booked a turkey and tinsel week end at the pentire hotel firstly The staff were first class could not do enough for you,nothing was to much for them you only have to ask and they were there.our waiter aiden never stopped he was cheerful and nothing was to much for him. The manegeress was waiting tables when needed sat with us for a chat and we could not fault the staff. The hotel is very comfortable spotlessly clean and has been up dated entertainment ok wonderful views will be going back in the summer All the staff are very young but very very professional thankful to all of you for a wonderful weekend x

oh yes they have a loverly pool and games room and outside play area for the kids

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank pauline h
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Pentire Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
This is great feedback for us all to receive. We will pass on your kind comments to our hotel team. Thank you and see you again in the Summer