The Pentire Hotel
US$184
Hotels.com
Minerva Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$93
The Esplanade Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Pool
US$93
US$82
Priceline
Travelodge Newquay Seafront Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$66
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
US$253
US$247
  • Breakfast included
1,029 results
All reviewsfistral beachsea viewsteam roomswimming poolhalf boardcoach partycourse evening mealcoach tripfriendly hoteltable tennischanging roomsbreakfast and dinnerweekend breakreception staffsingle roomfantastic valuewalk into town
Reviewed 25 August 2010

The Pentire Hotel is a good all round hotel offering adequate facilities for all age groups .
The position of the hotel is excellent with only a 10 minute walk to Fistral Beach. The hotel is located just outside Newquay so be prepared for a good 30 minute walk into Newquay, or an hour if you walk round the headland! We booked 2 rooms, a double and a twin. As previously stated on earlier reviews the hotel is being refurbed. Our room had been refurbed was very adequate and had a lovely size bathroom and very clean. Our teenagers room was due for refurb and yes, did need attention with wallpaper peeling, but still spotlessly clean. The pool cpmplex in the basement was lovely, very clean and you were always given fresh towels from reception every day. Also in the basement is an area for the kids to sit on sofas and watch tv, also a bar for the adults, although when we stayed the bar was not open. We stayed on a b and b basis so could not comment on the standard of the evening meal. We heard mixed reviews about this from other guests. The cooked breakfast was rather small but there was plenty of cereals and toast so again I woulod say adequate. The reception staff were always very helpful and polite. A special thank you to "dan the man" who was always happy and always had a smile on his face, whatever time of day it was. The evening entertainment was your usual hotel cabaret, but perfectly acceptable. In all I would recommend this hotel and stay again. Oh one gripe, on our last day we went down for breakfast and did'nt have a table. They thouight we had left the previous day....all in all though a nice stay and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Scoobydoo186223
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Got back from my 5th visit to this hotel and yet again staff and management provided excellent, friendly and efficient service. This may be a 2 star hotel, but the attention to detail and quality of service is on a par with a top London hotel. The restaurant is well run and the chef produces delicious and varied hot meals. The location is to die for being situated between Crantock beach and the River Gannell on one side and Fistral beach on the other. There's something for everyone - great waves for surfer dudes and beautiful, clean and safe beaches for the children. The Fern Pit Cafe is also a great place to sit and admire the views of Crantock beach whilst enjoying a cream tea. When I need a great holiday where I know I'm going to get good quality and a good rest, this is the place I dream of returning to. A big thank you to all the staff and management at The Pentire Hotel for making a good holiday even more special - I'm looking forward to seeing you all again very soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I arrived at the hotel on the evening of my trip to be greeted by a grumpy night porter with brown teeth who was manning the reception desk. he gave me the key to my room and said that my cold salad would be sent up. i went to my room and my heart sank,the carpet was filthy,peeling wallpaper, a rusty brown radiator in front of the bath,and the room was very grim! A dirty beer glass and an empty biscuit wrapper sat on the bedside table and toilet roll in the toilet. The room clearly had not been made up properly. I went back to reception and was met by a different man, i told him i would not stay in that room. He checked the diary and told me that id been sent to the wrong room. At this point the older man arrived with a salad on a chipped school dinner tray and proceeded to argue with the other man over which room i was in. The old man then said "the daytime staff dont tell the night staff whats going on...bloody bas*&!^$!" I went up to my newly allocated room which was marginally better than the first but very grim. He left me with my salad and i sat alone in the room and decided i could not possibly stay there,so i left, never to return!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank nataliehammond
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Stopped at this hotel in August 2010, found hotel over priced for what it is. This is a real average hotel. Our room had a nice damp smell and damp on the ceiling. We open window to try and get rid of the smell and a gust of wind blew in and chucked all dust off the top of the wardrobe! Bathroom was very small. U could not dry your beach towels anywhere due to room being cool and damp. Views was really good (sea view) and reception staff helpful. Breakfasts could of been better, served at 8:00am till 9:00am which could do with being extended. Swimming pool good and clean. Changing rooms basic. Overall a very over priced basic hotel that does the job for a staff in Newquay Cornwall.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

Just returned from a week at the Pentire Hotel, I forgot to Check TRIPADVISOR before making the booking and when I did look I was very apprehensive as to what we would find. Needn’t have worried though as it was fine and much, much better than we thought it was going to be.

The check in was fine and we were also shown our tables in the restaurant.

We had one of the updated rooms (108) It was very clean and comfortable with a good view of the sea and Fistral Bay. Only drawback was the bedside tables. They are very slippery on top, and the first time I put a cup of tea on it, it slid off and into my shoe (honest!!)

To be really honest there was nothing we could find fault with at this hotel. It is currently rated 2 star but I really feel it deserves more and once all the rooms have been refurbished I hope it gets a higher rating. There is an indoor swimming pool and entertainment every night which was pretty good, A lot better than you might expect.

The food was fine and the drinks are very reasonable, a good bottle of the house wine was £10.95 and it really was pretty good. The only suggestion we would make though is to serve breakfast from 7.30 - 9 rather than 8 - 9. The evening dinner is served 7 - 8 which we found to be fine.

We had a good holiday here but….

Like all holidays though there are always some downside and the cost of parking in Cornwall is one of them. It really is a rip off and they also charge the same exorbitant rate if you have a Blue disabled badge. The charges also apply 24 hours a day. We didn’t find any parking where it was a couple of hours. Someone on Cornwall council should realise that a lot of people do not want to pay for all day parking when they are only going to be there an hour or so

St Ives parking was a truly spectacular rip off. You pay £5.30 for the parking and then another £1.60 return for the ride ( about 600 yards to the harbour ) and of course none of the pay and display machines give any change. It really is a ripping off people. No matter how tiny or remote the place may be it has its very own pay and display machine and loads of signs asking “Have you paid and displayed”.

So what about Newquay itself ? Well It’ s about 40 years since I was there last and the best way to describe it now is a cross between Chatham High Street, Margate and Blackpool.

You can come to your own conclusions !!!! We really thought it was going to be like Bournemouth. It isn’t.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple