“Another fantastic visit!”
Review of Smugglers Rest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Smugglers Rest
Ranked #38 of 105 Newquay B&B and Inns
Kibworth, UK
“Another fantastic visit!”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We've just returned from our 5th consecutive new year staying at Smuggler's and again had a fantastic stay! John and Ellen and the family could not be more welcoming, it's like a home from home! Our room (3) was spacious and clean and the shower is amazing with plenty of hot water. Breakfast was tasty and fast. We are disgusted by the spiteful reviews left by one group back in August. My advice would be look at the bulk of the reviews and then make your decision! We'll be back again next year without fail!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I spent just a couple of nights at The Smuggler's Rest and had a lovely experience. The owners have been both were very warm and welcoming and couldn't do any more for us. Personally, I find some of the other reviews to be a vicious attack on them and totally unnecessary. As I said, they've made us very welcome and it's a great added touch.

The location of the hotel is superb. You can see the beach from the room we had on the top floor but our intention was the go out and explore and we did this easily as the hotel is located in an ideal place. And the breakfast is hearty! So make the most of this to get your day started.

The hotel itself is clean and tidy we had absolutely no complaints about any of it. And contrary to previous reviews, the dogs do not freely roam. The owners weigh up the situation and if someone likes them they're happy to let you pet them etc. if you're not, they won't get to you.
The overall feeling of this hotel is that you are being welcomed into someone else's home and that's a great personal touch.

There are a few things that I would do differently if I was the owner, but these are not significant enough to impact upon my stay. If people always listen so literally to other people's negative comments they run the risk of missing out on a gem.

I would definitely return here.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

i stayed at the smugglers rest with my son leo whos 11,we were greeted by ellen with joy and warmth our stay was perfect,ellen was a great host the breakfast was more than enough food the room was massive with good internet for my son and very clean and on suit big shower i will be staying there when ever im in newquey and so will my friends and family,very helpfull warm and caring place to stay,thanks you for a very nice stay George and Leo x

Room Tip: me and my son stayed in on the first floor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My Husband and myself stayed here from 21st August and had a lovely stay. Our room was spotlessly clean, the en-suite was lovely, because I can be very particular in where I wash! The couple made us very very welcome, extremely sociable even giving some of their own free time to sit and have a natter with us. Breakfast was gorgeous and sooooo much on offer. I really have to say the mattress in our room I wanted to take away with me very comfortable. I would recommend this B&B to anyone we will be going back. Ideally situated to town and beaches.

nottingham
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife have just stayed at this hotelfor a short break and the hotel owners could not do enough for us the rooms was cleaned daily The breakfast was very clean presentable and tasty i would definatly use this place again i was told about this by a freind i would most definatly return

somerset united kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for more than 10 years and for the last 5 years with the current owners, who are always very welcoming and would go out of there way to assist you, the hotel is less than 5 mins walk from the town so central to all, the rooms are very clean and bright, the bedding is always clean and fresh and also the towels, there is no toiletries but they are not advertised so you would automaticaly take your own,yes they have dogs but are always behind the gates and are not allowed to roam, all in all i would keep going to this hotel as long as i could and am looking forward to my next visit

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed at the B&B in a group of 13, all of our party ranged in great ages. We weren't your average 'Hen Party', and I am concerned by the previous comments tarnishing us as rude, we were polite and courteous throughout our stay. I even took the time out to sit with one other guest during the early hours, who was very intoxicated as she couldn't get into her room.
Upon our arrival we were met by the proprietor, who gave us a tedious welcome meeting to which there was no need. We received the keys to our rooms and were disgusted by the condition of the B&B as a whole. I stayed in Rm. 6 on the top floor so walked all staircases, passed all windows and the whole place needs a deep clean. There is dirt, grime and dust throughout, stained carpets and a terrible smell of dog.
I have a large dog myself who lives at home with me. I understand totally that every home with a dog smells, however the stench of damp, dirty dog is so overpowering it is unbearable. And the dogs are free to roam around the house, regardless of what other guests have stated. My Grandmother at one point during our stay had to chase away one of the dogs which had entered her room, she watched it walk back downstairs to find John, its owner stood in the hallway totally aware of its whereabouts.
We arrived early Friday afternoon, and allocated the rooms throughout our party. I can't say that one room out of the three that we had was better. All were of a terrible standard, with dirty bedding; my fitted sheet was stained with blood. The bath towels were of appalling conditions, we resorted to buying our own to use. The towels belonging to the B&B need a good boil wash with the added extra of bleach. Everywhere needs a deep clean. The bathrooms were unsanitary, dried faeces, soap scum and general grime throughout all three. We unpacked and left as quickly as possible, that afternoon.
We walked into the Town Centre very quickly, the B&B is of a great location. Bought bath towels and bleach for the bathrooms. We stayed out throughout the afternoon and evening, returning only too sleep. We had decided as a group we would spend as little time as possible at the B&B.
On the Saturday morning, we showered only half of the group had warm shower's, not hot. The rest had cold showers, but by God did we need them after spending the night in the conditions we had to endure. Using our newly bought towels and own toiletries, as none were provided.
We went down to the breakfast room, there were jugs of juice and cereal on the sideboard, which needs a thorough clean, We helped ourselves to juice but had to wipe out the glasses before hand. Helen came through from the kitchen to take our orders, we all chose a full english breakfast. After waiting a short time, the breakfast was served too us, before eating we had to swap and change cutlery as they were dirty. We used our serviettes to soak up the extra grease on the plate. I ate the toast only, the rest was inedible.
We left the B&B early morning, spent hours out during the day and returned early evening. We all showered, again in only warm or cold water, changed and left for the evening.
We went for a lovely meal at the Central Bar, Saturday evening, I would definitely recommend a visit here. The food is fantastic, the atmosphere great and is of a great location also only a short walk from the B&B.
We returned early Sun morning after spending as long a time out as possible. When I say this, I mean as 3 members of our party were over 75, 1 member was pregnant, it wasn't fair too stay out for any longer. We returned and went to bed, we didn't once use the sitting room during our stay.
Sunday morning we showered and left the B&B as quickly as possible. Didn't order breakfast, we walked into Town an bought breakfast. We left our luggage at the B&B until our return. We were being picked up at 11 am, we returned only 10 mins before hand to collect our luggage. We had a 4hr journey home and throughout I felt uncomfortable, itchy and couldn't wait for a warm shower.
Since our return I have contacted the company which we booked our trip through, given them our views of the B&B, along with the photographic evidence. The photographs can be seen on a previous review from a member of our group. The company have profusely apologised and are currently taking the B&B off their listings.
I would never recommend the B&B, it's condition is unsanitary.
The location is however fantastic, just a short walk to the Town centre with shops restaurants and bars. If the B&B were to have a complete overhaul, deep clean, new bedding, towels, fixtures and fittings and be taken over by new owners it would be great.
Please however don't think that the location can compensate for the terrible condition as it can't. There is noway I would ever stay at the B&B again, please take my advice and also don't. You would be silly to do so, I would rather stay further out from the Town and have to take a taxi ride than to stay somewhere closer in the conditions that we had to endure.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, we had rooms on every floor and all were of the same terrible condition.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends