“Great value for money hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marina Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newquay
Marina Hotel
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
hull
“Great value for money hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Travelled to Newquay with National Coach holidays with family and yes as others have said the hotel does need a little updating but we had a brilliant stay, nice room fresh towels everyday comfy bed . All of the staff the hotel manager, deputy manager, ( who did her own entertainment night which we really enjoyed) the bar and cleaning staff, waiting staff ( Shirley was lovely really looked after us) were fantastic really helpful and made us feel very welcome. The night time entertainment was good too just what we needed to wind down after a busy day we had such a good laugh. The food was excellent lovely cooked breakfast good choice of cereals etc and the evening meals were just as good too couldn't fault them for choice or quality We are hoping to return to Newquay next year and would definitely stay at this hotel again. Well done Marina Hotel keep up the good work and thank you.

Room Tip: Wish we had booked sea view room the scenery is stunning from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank milly1862
Jason H, General Manager at Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for your lovely review I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here in Newquay. I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff in particular Kath who did your entertainment on the Monday night and also Shirley.

I hope when you return that you take the opportunity to book a sea view room as the views are spectacular across Tolcarne Beach especially the sun set during the evening. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have just been on National Holidays 7 day all inclusive, and myself, wife and 7 yr old daughter had a great time. The hotel to be honest needs a lot of updating judging by our triple room (room 70), but having said that, the whole staff were absolutey fantastic in every way (especially Tracey who served our table). The evening entertainment was ace 3of the nights, and myself got involved ha. Everything was excellent the food 1st class. The only issue was the room but it did the 'job'. Damp, holes in walls,toilet took ages till you could flush it again and bathroom in general, very tired.The staff are brilliant.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bethchar
jasonhunt71, General Manager at Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed your recent break with us here at the Marina Hotel, I will pass on your compliments to Tracey and also the entertainment team.

As you can imagine with any busy hotel it can sometimes be difficult to refurbish rooms as they are constantly in use and do become tired, however we are in the process currently of planning our next lot of refurbishment including room 70, so these issues you have mentioned should then be rectified and brought up to spec.

Hopefully we will see you again here at the Marina Hotel in the future.

Thanks for your comments.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I am just back from the Marina at Newquay and felt I must write a review. The hotel was good
though in need of some updating as most similar priced hotels are. Our room no. 48 was very
comfortable and clean. I cruise a lot where the food is 5 star but I thought the food was wonderful.
Cooked and served well. All the staff could not do enough for you. The hotel is opposite a lovely
beach and also very near the town centre. National took us to lots of lovely places and the drivers
were very knowledgeable about the area. All in all this was the best National trip we have had
and we do two every year. Value for money was beyond compare. I would love to visit this
hotel again soon (with my husband next time)

Room Tip: our room was number 48 and was at the rear of the property but had new beds carpet and curtains and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jasonhunt71, General Manager at Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
I am truly pleased to read your lovely review as you stated with regards room 48 we are continually seeking to make improvements to the rooms and its always pleasent to have this acknowledged.

I will pass on your comments to all the staff and I look forward to seeing you return to the hotel with your husband at some point in the future.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Went with my mum who is 85. I used to go to Newquay every year from 5 till 14 years of age, so after travelling the world we both decided it would be nice to go back to Newquay. We travelled with national holidays coaches. We both went on the day trips but found that travelling from Manchester to Newquay on the Sunday, that to be ready to go on the days out both Monday and Tuesday to much, could really do with having the Monday to rest and see a little of Newquay. We stayed at the Marina hotel we found it to be very clean but dated, they seem to be trying to update things as both mum and I said that the beds were like sleeping on a cloud they were so comfy. The staff so pleasant , helpful, and always go out of their way to help. Food quite a good variety of choices to try and please all. We enjoyed the holiday stayed in room 30 lovely view would return.

Room Tip: Room 30 served all our needs. It had both a bath and shower although the tiles needed updating on th...
2 Thank Jane173
I am pleased you enjoyed your return to Newquay after so long and that you enjoyed your stay here at the Marina Hotel. I agree that room 30 is a nice room with fantastic views across Tolcarne Beach and over towards the Headland.

I will pass on your compliments to the staff and hopefully we will see you retunr to the hotel again.
blackpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Went on 7 day trip with national holidays ...took 10 hours from Lancashire picking up in towns all over the Northwest including the centre of Manchester very tiresome ..Arrived in Newquay Hotel looked fine..checked in straight away no waiting,, we was on the first floor twin sea view.. great views over looking the bay..,Staff were very friendly ..waiting staff and cleaning lady were excellent, food was average ,,Bar staff were fine .... entertainment was a little boring ..one or two of the evening entertainment guests were ok..i think the hotel needs to be brightened up a little the front of the hotel needs more seating and maybe a few cosmetics things e.g plants.. Trips out were good Truro..Falmouth.., .Padstow .St Ives and the cider farm was great also they did a extra trip to Looe and Polperro which cost extra if you want to go..overall lovely place to visit beautiful scenery.., loads of good eating places in Newquay and bars.Trip back was a bit of a disaster coach broke down in Manchester .National Holidays provided a taxi for us..felt sorry for the Driver John as some of the passengers gave him grief but things happen. scenery 10/10 Hotel 6/10 staff 10/10 food 6/10 cleanliness 10/10

Room Tip: Sea views only ..
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank linda446
Thanks for your review and comments, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here in Newquay and that your sea view room was so enjoyable. With regards the entertainment as you may imagine we try and provide entertainment that is varied and suitable for everybody but of course sometimes what is one persons cup of tea is not anothers.

The scenery down here in Cornwall is as you said lovely and well worth the visit.

Hopefully we will see you return to the hotel at some future point.
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is the second time in twelve months that I have stayed here and both times I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay.
I stayed in room 41 (twin) which is a large room with a good sized bathroom and a partial sea view with my 14 year old son.

On the first night my son couldn't find anything on the menu he liked but our waitress STACEY went out of her way as she did all week to find him something he liked, she's an absolute star.

Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff which is always a good sign and the fact that most of them recognised me from my last visit and I was treated like an old friend which makes you feel that little bit special on your holiday.

Sure other people have commented that the hotel is a little shabby in places but they have a high volume of coach passengers and your never going to make a fortune out of coach companies, that's why you never see them at the Ritz.

To sum up a nice friendly and very clean place to stay whilst visiting Newquay and Cornwall with very helpful and attentive staff, clean towels when required, plenty of hot water after a day on the beach to get ready with before venturing out on a night.

And don't forget to ring Jason's bell on reception as he seems to enjoy it.

4 Thank Michael A
Thank you very much for your comments especially about ringing my bell!!! I am pleased you enjoyed yourselves so much and I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff in particular Stacey.

Its always nice to welcome our returning guests back and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Spent a 5 day National break here; the hotel could probably do with a refurb but our room was large, the beds were comfy and clean, the bathroom was fine though we only had a shower cubicle and anyone of slightly larger frame than normal would have struggled! And as mentioned in other reviews there is no lift and our room on the top floor meant 5 small flights and 3 fire doors to maneouvre.

We took other reviewers' advice and paid for a sea view and it was well worth it. The only down side of the view is that it came with a noisy road too - but if you're tired (and you will be after a day's sight seeing with National) then you'll sleep. The food was good with plenty of choice and our waitress (Stacey) was a real tornado so you never waited for long - she even made sure that a teenage lad saw the evening menu at breakfast to make sure there was something on it he liked, if not she came up with an alternative for him. Good service. In fact the staff are the thing you will remember from this hotel from the manager, reception staff, bar staff and waiters their friendliness, helpfulness and general chat makes your time here enjoyable.

Newquay itself has lots of bars but if you want a local place turn right out of the hotel, first right and continue along the road to the Lanherne - might be sponsored by Miracle Grow they have so many flowers in baskets!

Also, if you go to Healey's Farm then order one cream tea between two - they are very filling!

Room Tip: A sea view is spectacular and worth the extra if you can put up with the traffice noise
2 Thank MagentaEngland
It was lovely to read your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Marina Hotel, I will pass on your compliments to the tornado otherwise known as Stacey and indeed all the other members of staff.

I hope to see you return to us in the near future.