“A good value, honest, family run 'British B&B'. PERFECT!”
Review of Jasmine House

Jasmine House
Ranked #17 of 107 Newquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2013

What a real gem! A great value B&B with friendly and charming hosts. This is a family home and Cindy and Ashley obviously care about their guests.

My room was sweet smelling, clean, warm, cared for and well equipped. Big flat screen TV with all Freeview channels. There were also nice touches like the embroidered linen,cushions and valance. Small fridge and sweets.Spacious en suite bath and power shower.

My JRT and I LOVED that we were SO close to the beaches of Newquay. Lusty Glaze is just a 10 minute walk away (not counting the steps down to it of course!) To its right is Porth beach (via SW Coast Path). Tolcarne, Great Western, Towan is to left - a continuous walk via low tide (or 'secret' cave though the rocks :-)). Continue on to the harbour up to SWCP around corner to Fistral beach and Pentire Headland, drop down to the Gannel and Crantock beach ..... I could go on and on. A walkers dream.

The B&B is literally accross the road from shops for paper, pasties, provisions etc. and free parking is outside.

Breakfast was generous and filling. I didn't need lunch that's for sure.

I Love Newquay and all it has to offer for walks with me and JRT. This B&B allowed me to go visit, feel again that wonderful North Atlantic wind and hear the crashing waves for a very fair price out of season.

Does Jasmine House it have its faults and failings? Yes, of course it does - it's a family home. My own home has its flaws too.

All things considered, it's a real bargain.

Would I visit again?

Oh yes! Am already booked for next week.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Just_Me_and_my_JRT

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for a wedding in september, the rooms were clean and tidy if not a little eccentric. Breakfast was plenty and very nice, the hosts were very friendley and welcoming. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013

First time to Newquay for a 3 night stay. I booked Jasmine House BnB as it looked nice on the web pages. We arrived to a very warm welcome after a very long drive and were instantly made to feel welcome. Our rooms were more than adequate with lovely ensuite for us to pamper in. The breakfast was superlative and there was a vast choice of full to cereal and fruit juice. All brought to the table with a welcome smile. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay with Cindy and Ashley and wish them well for a continued good business along with continued health. Thank you Angela and Ian McKinnon - Worthing

Room Tip: The four poster room is large and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Havnt been to Newquay before and i always prefer b&bs as they are more personal. on arrival there was ample parking outside and the place was homely and welcoming. Cindy was there to welcome us, show us around and to our room. We had the family room for two of us. it was spacious, clean and just what we needed. Cindy has a little pup called Oreo who is adorable and as an animal lover i loved looking out the window to watch the ducks and chickens in there back garden, Cindy was really helpful and the breakfasts were really yummy. The only thing i found wrong was that there was a dirty nappy in the bathroom bin - which i totally forgot to mention cindy (sorry cindy :-) ) but i know if id have told her she would have apologised and got it sorted so cannot fault her for this. Seeing other reviews that arent quite so positive on here upsets me a little, and yes, the family are going through a difficult time at the moment. But we are all human and cindy has her hands full running the place on her own. So unfortunatly things will get missed, but its a great place to stay and very close to the centre, and i know Cindy would go out her way to do things for guests. So if you are thinking of not staying here because of other reviews i urge you to give this lovely place a chance and you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Very friendly staff and rooms lve stayed in were lovely and clean. Close enough to town without too much noise and with parking on the drive I didn't need to use my car for the rest of my stay as I was visiting relatives. Hopefully will stay again soon x

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in the Games room.
The owners are very friendly, not always about when needed by arriving and present guest's but that's down to their own personnel reasons, if you do need anything and the owners are about they will try and accommodate your needs.
The value is good for this area and location is excellent, with some nice beaches and Newquay town centre within walking distance.
Parking is a little tight during busy periods and you could get blocked in, if other guests don't park efficiently.
The room itself was spacious, cleanish but not spotless with small hairs in the shower tray and on the bathroom wall tiles, there was also hairs and small bits on the bedding, the mattresses were clean a little soft and the pillows were flat, just don't look under the beds as there was a half eaten biscuit under the bunk beds and a child's beaker and hair grips under the double bed.
When we entered the room it didn't smell great and was a little fusty so we bought some glade air fresheners which made a big difference.
In the room you get tea and coffee making facilities and a small fridge which was handy although the coffee cups had what looked like butter or grease on the outside of them you also get a freeview tv, dvd player and a selection of games to play, there's also a full size pool table which costs 50p to play (should of been free in a themed room).
This room is in the annex and has another guest room adjacent to it and no room above which cuts down on the noise you also get your own entrance.
The rooms not all that private however, with the decking/smoking area straight outside of the 2 double windows, and if people are sat drinking on the decked area till late it could interrupt your sleep, there are nets up and curtains that stand 4 inch away from the window and just about cover the window.
When we stayed it was a hot week so the room got quite warm during the day, the windows weren't top opening just side opening, so we couldn't have the windows open because the chickens and ducks walk on the decking and the decking is window level.
The main disadvantage to this room is that it wasn't child friendly were lighting is concerned, you have a main light switch when you enter the room but no bedside lights and the bathroom light switch is 5ft up.
At breakfast you get a choice of times, either 8:30 or 9:30 and there's a selection of cereals and fruit, toast, and or a cooked breakfast with was nice but average.

So to summarise, its a nice average b&b, which is animal friendly, the owner has a menagerie of animals including, a little puppy, fish, guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, ducks and a rooster.
Parking is available, there's no living room for guests to sit in and chat together so your restricted to staying in your room or sitting outside, the showers hot with good pressure, the location is good and so is the value, the owners are also friendly but sadly not available all the time...
The foods ok and to say its on a main road, the traffic noise is low.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
jasminehousenewquay, Manager at Jasmine House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Hi Darren really sorry there were a few things that disappointed you as you pointed out in your review we have personal problems . We were not around so much but I did explain this to you that I was driving from Newquay to Bristol 2 days in a row as my husband has prostate cancer and has just had major surgery to remove this. I have found this very difficult and things may have been over looked but I think under the circumstances I think this is understandable.we will endeavour over the next couple of weeks to rectify these issues.thankyou for your comments you have every right to point them out but feel a little insensitive on your part as I did fully explain the whole situation in full.w

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed for two nights in the master room at jasmine house. I chose this B&B because of the eclectic decorations of the rooms, it's nice to see owners who have fun styling themed rooms.

Cindy was very welcoming when we arrived and let us settle in quickly.

The master room is spacious, warm and romantic. I really liked the red netting above the bed and the wooden ceilings. There is an extra twin bed by window out of the way and convenient use for laying out clothing or an extra guest. The main bed is queen size with a decent mattress, prefer a little more plush. The pillows were flat and would have liked newer ones. The temperature was just right in the room the whole time and not too noisy at night. In the morning I could hear the road traffic outside the window but this didnt bother me much.

What makes this room special is the very large spa bath in the en suite. Perfect for relaxing and bath lovers!The shower attached has a nice powerful stream.

The breakfast was traditional full English and was cooked averagely. I prefer less stodgy breakfasts. Nice selection of cereals, fruit and baked items.

Location to Tolcarne beach is excellent! Quick 10 minute walk up the street and across the road. Fistral beach is a 30 minute walk away. Town center is 15 minutes. Try butchers bistro for fresh seafood caught same day!

We both enjoyed our stay at jasmine house, thank you!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple