Arrived on Sat 2nd August at 12pm and managed to get the keys by 3pm (earlier than the 5pm time) so that was good.
The Lodge is big, well maintained (with some minor exceptions) and has some useful utilities.
We stayed in Lodge 74 and had amble parking right outside. It's a stones throw from the Reception, Cafe, Indoor Swimming Pool, Soft Play, Gym and Wifi area.
Had a overwhelming smell of dogs in the carpet and sofas. Did ask reception to give the Lodge a spray of Fabreeze but disappointingly they didn't bother even though they promised to do it. Shame really. We bought some anyway and had to give the Lodge a good spray everyday. Note to Atlantic Reach - given you are a dog friendly resort wouldn't it be a good idea to have laminate floors instead of carpet? Or offer a different option of Lodge for dog owners and non dog owners?
Quality of food was surprising good. It took a while to come but the wait was worth it. Bacon Sandwiches were packed with Bacon - not just one slice. The healthy smoothies were also very good. Some confusing moments around the closing times though. The board outside says cafe open til 8pm but we were informed they stop serving food at 4pm. They also said that the cafe menu was also available at the main restaurant - not true! So if you are after a cream tea after 4pm - good luck to you! Note to Atlantic Reach - you are missing a opportunity here. Keep the cafe open later!
Indoor and outdoor pool very nice. Simple but effective.
Nice and big. The machines are a tad old but they do the job. Nice touch having adult swimming between 7/8am so that those wanting a early workout can hit the pool without the interruption of kids.
Probably the biggest soft play area I have come across at a hotel resort - far better than the Haven Parks for example. Plenty of seating around it, with some Lego tables as well. Added bonus that it overlooks the pool and is close to the Cafe, so you can watch and eat/drink at the same time.
I had a massage (£26 charge) and other people in my party had the sauna and steam room (£5 charge).
May need to get booked in the day you arrive as dates / time slots were sparce. Well worth a go though if you can sneak away for 30 minutes.
Again, quality of food was pretty good, but we had to wait 45 mins for our starters (bread and olive oil) and with 2 kids this was unacceptable. We thought we allowed sufficient time to have dinner before the kids club started - it was not the case. I had to leave dinner with the kids so they got to the club, leaving the rest of my party to wait for their mains. I refused to eat in there after that and chose to go to the nearby Fish and Chips shop (starboard Fish & Chips) which was fantastic food! Note to Atlantic Reach - with only one restaurant on site you have to be quicker or others will go elsewhere.
With the Cafe out of action from 4pm and the restaurant very slow service, your other choice is the extremely limited bar menu, which is basically Pizza, Chips & Nachos. Unfortunately we had a bad experience here as well. Tried to order twice at the bar (for a 7pm snack for the kids) but was turned away both times for different reasons - one was that they had just taken a large order and couldn't take our order as well(?). Note to Atlantic Reach - don't ever turn away a paying customer!
Would I come back........Yes I would.
I would however make sure I stated from the very start that I would want a Lodge that didn't smell of Dog. Otherwise my wife will drive the 6hrs home straight away.
I would also do a lot more research around other places to eat close by without having to drive in To Newquay (beware of traffic at the weekend!).
My tip to everyone reading this is rather than go to Newquay beach, travel the 20 mins down the A30 to Perranporth and go there. It's an authentic seaside town, unlike Newquay that has lost its charm over the years.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Atlantic Reach is a leading family holiday resort set in 50 acres of countryside, close to Newquay in Cornwall and is open all year round. It is easily accessible from the A30, and allows easy access to all the beautiful sights of Cornwall including The Eden Project and some of Cornwall's top beaches. The South West Coast Path offers some spectacular walking along cliffs, headlands and beaches. Our facilities include swimming pools, large gym with regular activities for children and adults, Spa with hydrotherapy pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, golf course, indoor soft play centre, bar, restaurant, entertainment during school holidays and more. We have 2 bedroom and 4 bedroom holiday homes at Atlantic Reach and some are available with private Hot Tubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Atlantic Reach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atlantic Reach Hotel Newquay
- Atlantic Reach Newquay, Cornwall