“Brilliant family holiday!!! Ignore bad reviews”
Review of Atlantic Reach

Atlantic Reach
“Brilliant family holiday!!! Ignore bad reviews”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Hi just back from a family holiday. My husband, myself and our 2 children aged 5 and 8, their grandparents aged 72 and my husbands two sisters aged 30 and 35. We stayed in a privately owned 4 bedroom house no.51. The house was very roomy, well equipped and nicely decorated. The kids were fond of the jacuzzi Bath :-)

Entertainment was a bit hit and miss although the children had a great night the evenings we went to the manor house. Especially enjoying the punch and judy/ magic show and pirate pete. The park is large and just outside the marquee where the entertainment is so the kids can go in and out. Our family especially enjoyed the cornish king of swing night and found him very funny. We also won a £40 drinks voucher at the quiz and came a very close 2nd at the big quiz and won a bottle of wine :-)

The pools are basic but good. The weather was good so we went to the outdoor pool most days. The kids loved the large pirate ship inflatable. The life guards should receive praise. They do a great job! There is a shallow toddler pool too.

We wanted to eat in the manor house one evening but when we arrived we were told we had to book. So worth checking!

During our stay we visited flambards which is around 45 mins to hour drive away. Would recommend it. A fantastic travel back in time. My in laws thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Not a huge amount of rides but what's there we enjoyed.

We also visited a couple of beaches. We would recommend porth which is quieter than most and a little further on is watergate bay which is very popular with surfers and body boarders. Both these beaches have streams running through which the kids spent hours playing in and building dams and castles. Exorcising good for younger children as you know they are safe. Again life guards do an amazing job!

Cornwall crealy is a brilliant place to visit with the children. We've been a couple of times but unfortunately couldn't this visit as my daughter has a broken big toe :-(

Would definately recommend the lost gardens of heligan. Everyone would enjoy it on a nice weather day. My father in law struggled I little with the steps and hills but if you want to you can skip the jungle/lost world area. The large rope bridge was good fun. Please wear trainers if you do visit here.

In conclusion. . We had a great holiday at atlantic reach and will definately return!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a lovely week with the family from aug 4th 2014, we stayed in a 4 bed lodge. I will start with the lodge - it's clean and presentable and functions well,however it's not superior by far ,the build quality is poor and if it was cold I doubt it would be warm enough. It just lacked any luxury feel. No towels or any welcome pack , it creaks terribly upstairs . If your up and about with kids in the night it's a bit noisy.beds are hard and pillows uncomfortable . I recommend taking your own.
The site is good and caters well for kids , however there is a terrible wasp problem in the outside areas in particular the pool and my child was stung on day one. There are open bins by the pool that don't help this matter.
The pool is very cold and I cannot believe its heated.
The kids clubs are great and my two boys really enjoyed it. The indoor pool is nice but could benefit from less chlorine and more adult times at night.
There is a well equipped gymnasium .
The restaurant although has been refurbished looked a little cramped so we did not try it.
The site would benefit from a shop or delivery service to houses.
It's well situated for beaches and generally speaking we had a great week , I personally just felt it was lacking that attention to detail.
The whole place has had a revamp and is ongoing I believe .
We used the beaches ,so it's a good base.

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just got back from staying in a 4 bed contemporary cottage at Atlantic Reach. There were 3 generations in our party and no complaints from any of us. Our cottage was immaculate, well kitted out - there was even a stick blender, I've never come across that before in holiday accommodation! At no point did anyone say "it's a shame they don't have...."
our only niggle was the lack of parking outside our cottage (no 60) but I think that may have been due to one of the neighbours parking both their cars out the front rather than just one. So we had one car on the grass and one around the corner, which was no problem at all for us.
we didn't use any of the on site facilities but they looked decent enough.
I recommend Porth beach for families, 10 minutes away and not too busy. It has a lovely café and ice cream shop (and toilets)

Bottom line, if we choose to visit Newquay again we will definitely stay at Atlantic Reach!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lobsta1811
Haverhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Arrived on Sat 2nd August at 12pm and managed to get the keys by 3pm (earlier than the 5pm time) so that was good.

The Lodge is big, well maintained (with some minor exceptions) and has some useful utilities.

We stayed in Lodge 74 and had amble parking right outside. It's a stones throw from the Reception, Cafe, Indoor Swimming Pool, Soft Play, Gym and Wifi area.

The Lodge:

Had a overwhelming smell of dogs in the carpet and sofas. Did ask reception to give the Lodge a spray of Fabreeze but disappointingly they didn't bother even though they promised to do it. Shame really. We bought some anyway and had to give the Lodge a good spray everyday. Note to Atlantic Reach - given you are a dog friendly resort wouldn't it be a good idea to have laminate floors instead of carpet? Or offer a different option of Lodge for dog owners and non dog owners?

Cafe:

Quality of food was surprising good. It took a while to come but the wait was worth it. Bacon Sandwiches were packed with Bacon - not just one slice. The healthy smoothies were also very good. Some confusing moments around the closing times though. The board outside says cafe open til 8pm but we were informed they stop serving food at 4pm. They also said that the cafe menu was also available at the main restaurant - not true! So if you are after a cream tea after 4pm - good luck to you! Note to Atlantic Reach - you are missing a opportunity here. Keep the cafe open later!

Swimming Pool(s):

Indoor and outdoor pool very nice. Simple but effective.

Gym:

Nice and big. The machines are a tad old but they do the job. Nice touch having adult swimming between 7/8am so that those wanting a early workout can hit the pool without the interruption of kids.

Soft Play:

Probably the biggest soft play area I have come across at a hotel resort - far better than the Haven Parks for example. Plenty of seating around it, with some Lego tables as well. Added bonus that it overlooks the pool and is close to the Cafe, so you can watch and eat/drink at the same time.

Spa:

I had a massage (£26 charge) and other people in my party had the sauna and steam room (£5 charge).

May need to get booked in the day you arrive as dates / time slots were sparce. Well worth a go though if you can sneak away for 30 minutes.

Restaurant:

Again, quality of food was pretty good, but we had to wait 45 mins for our starters (bread and olive oil) and with 2 kids this was unacceptable. We thought we allowed sufficient time to have dinner before the kids club started - it was not the case. I had to leave dinner with the kids so they got to the club, leaving the rest of my party to wait for their mains. I refused to eat in there after that and chose to go to the nearby Fish and Chips shop (starboard Fish & Chips) which was fantastic food! Note to Atlantic Reach - with only one restaurant on site you have to be quicker or others will go elsewhere.

Bar Food:

With the Cafe out of action from 4pm and the restaurant very slow service, your other choice is the extremely limited bar menu, which is basically Pizza, Chips & Nachos. Unfortunately we had a bad experience here as well. Tried to order twice at the bar (for a 7pm snack for the kids) but was turned away both times for different reasons - one was that they had just taken a large order and couldn't take our order as well(?). Note to Atlantic Reach - don't ever turn away a paying customer!

Conclusion:

Would I come back........Yes I would.

I would however make sure I stated from the very start that I would want a Lodge that didn't smell of Dog. Otherwise my wife will drive the 6hrs home straight away.

I would also do a lot more research around other places to eat close by without having to drive in To Newquay (beware of traffic at the weekend!).

My tip to everyone reading this is rather than go to Newquay beach, travel the 20 mins down the A30 to Perranporth and go there. It's an authentic seaside town, unlike Newquay that has lost its charm over the years.

Room Tip: Beware of the smell of Dog!
2 Thank Mark D
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice resort with decent family-orientated facilities. The on site restaurant does good meals and the staff were very friendly and professional. Accommodation was well maintained and spacious for a family of three. A great base for exploring North Cornwall.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here last week in a two bed house, excellent base to explore cornwall, both pools very nice and clean.Entertainment was a bit hit and miss was ok in the whole.The king of swing on tuesday was awful, not funny at all in my opnion! had a couple of meals in restraunt and they were fine. would stay again !

1 Thank sbm247
Reviewed 3 August 2014

at the end of June we were about to start our holiday and I chanced reading recent reviews ...I was very disappointed and was very worried about the property I had booked ...whoever wrote these reviews must have been staying at a different resort . We arrived early and chanced being able to settle in our accommodation ...absolutely no problem ...and when we arrived at our house it was fantastic ...clean, spacious, welcome items in the fridge ....we have stayed in much worse hotels ...the bedrooms were superb and great bathrooms ...we had three as our party was large ...overall everything was great ...accommodation ,staff and a great base for touring...four bedroom house absolutely superb

Room Tip: go for the biggest you can afford ...4 bedroom ...superb...anywhere on site is great as it not far f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Isabel A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
Bedruthan Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Mawgan Porth
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,135 reviews

Been to Atlantic Reach? Share your experiences!