“The best Greek restaurant in Cornwall!!!”

Stavros Greek Taverna
Ranked #70 of 249 Restaurants in Newquay
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Lovely! Great food, nice people, inexpensive menu, good quality and plenty of it......... We'll be back!!!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Walking through the town we chose Stavros because it is different. Newquay is full of 'quirky' little places or big 'high street' types. Stavros stands out; it's the only Greek place for miles. It's family owned and the passion and pride is evident in the product, the service and the environment you experience.
The welcome was warm and the food, contrary to other reviews, was most definitely fresh! Between us we had humous, taziki, lamb souvlaki and mixed grill; all dishes rocked.
Next time we come to Newquay we'll be missing lunch and opting for their legendary mezze combo with no doubts it'll be just as good"

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The decor and service are very good here and the restaurant is very clean. However, I ordered Moussaka and it had clearly been microwaved. It was swimming in grease and tasted like it had been warmed up from frozen. My husband had the lamb which was ok. The chef, who can be seen from the restaurant, spent most of his time glaring at customers whilst putting things in and out of three microwaves and waiting for them to heat up. I didn't see him move from the microwaves the whole time. It also cost £11.50 for this meal and £13.50 for the lamb. I could have had a microwaved meal from weatherspoons for £5. The waitress was very friendly, but we wouldn't recommend it or go again.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was our 3rd choice on a rainy Monday night in Newquay as the other the restuarants were closed! We were the only 2 people in the place throughout our meal and I felt quite uncomfortable; initially ther was not even any background music on. The tables were tightly packed though I imagine it to be noisy when busy and no chance of any sort of conversation where you can't be overheard!!!

Although the food was fine, my Moussaka was bland and I felt like it was the weekends reheated left overs! My husband had Stifado was again was fine - not exciting but acceptable.

By the end of the meal the owner had arrived and came to speak to us and then offered us complimentary Ouzo or Brandy which we declined.

We happened to pass the following evening and noticed again just 1 couple in there - off season I suppose but we went to Senor Dicks that evening which was positviely packed in comparison and therefore at least had an atmosphere.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

i love greek food so we sat down for ssome grub here the other week.
Haloumi is lovely, menu was varied however out of season is limited as they had no charcoal, not a problem though.
service good and prices decent too, overall a solid 8/10