“Disappoining, mis-sold, unwelcoming and insulting.”
Review of Wheel Lodge

Wheel Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Wheel Lodge
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Directions as on the website were bad - we had to ring up twice to find our way as the instructions mentioned "Bodmin Bye-pass" somewhere on the A30, but there is no sign for this. We arrived here with 3 children ages 11 years 7 years and 1 year after a last minute booking after looking at the Hotel details on the internet. The details were very misleading as it says that there is a restaurant so I was looking forward to getting a nice meal after our long journey as we arrived at tea time (5 pm ish). However upon enquiring about food in the restaurant we were told by the owner that we probably would not want to eat at the restaurant as it was too expensive (patronising?) and that there were a few pubs up the road. As we had travelled a long way already with the children and did not want to travel any further, my partner went to the supermarket to get us some food - but we discovered that there was no fridge in the room. There were also no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. There was a pool table which the children were looking forward to playing on. However access to this was locked and we had to ring a bell everytime we wanted to go into the "games room", or even to get to the reception desk to ask any question! Then, upon ringing the bell to be let into the building, the owner would turn up looking annoyed with us and put-out. There was supposed to be a lounge with a tv which we did not even see or hear anything about during our stay. We got the impression that the owner could just not be bothered with us. We had a restless nights sleep as the mattress was lumpy. In the morning, breakfast was extremely difficult with our 1 year old as there was no highchair but a place was set out for him along a booth-style bench seat. I had to sit him on my knee and try to feed him whilst I also tried to eat my own breakfast. Just after breakfast my partner again enquired about the restaurant and was again discouraged from ordering as she told him that if we did want a meal we had to order it earlier at breakfast! My partner was also told that the owners husband was not pleased with us (as my youngest son had thrown some pebbles into the pool) - the owner started telling off my 7 year old when he had been in the pool trying to get the pebbles out! I was annoyed that my children appeared to be frowned upon when they are lovely mild natured children. We were further insulted when the curtain pole in our room fell onto my head and really hurt. When I told the owner she did not believe that the pole had just fallen down but said her husband would have a look at it. When we returned from a drive out, the pole and curtains had gone from the room and none were replaced, leaving the fairly large window totally uncovered. We enquired about this and were told that they would not be replacing the curtains and implied that our children had pulled the pole down which they had not! The light would have been coming into the room at around 4 am being the height of Summer which would have woken us all up, especially our 1 year old, but the woman remained aloof and cold in her attitude and said that we could go if we liked! We had paid for 2 nights and had only stayed 1 and asked for our money back but were not given any back. Neadless to say, feeling disappointed, robbed, unwelcomed and insulted, and me with a headache, we packed our things and left. I could not believe how rude and unwelcomed we had been treated - the lady owner had not even asked how our journey had been, shown any interest in us or the children (except to look down at them disapprovingly or to tell them off), no-one had offered to help us with our bags and the facilites appeared to be out-of-bounds!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family