“Shocking-never stayed anywhere as bad”
Review of Minerva Hotel

and 1 more site!
Minerva Hotel
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Leeds
“Shocking-never stayed anywhere as bad”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Be warned- if you have any standards of living from the 21st century(other than a new tv) then avoid. I'm no snob and the owners were lovely but the place is old, worn and nothing matches. Our bathroom door was smashed in, the tea bag jar was filthy and everything was just so old. Breakfast again was poor, cheap food- ended up leaving most. No idea who gives these top ratings out (friends?) but 1 night was too long- will not be returning. Ideal for stags and hens but not couples and families- overpriced, I almost reverted to sleeping in the car.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LeedsUnitedLad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have been to the Minerva on several occasions now, John and his team are always very welcoming and accommodating. They are very friendly, helpful, always around for a chat and provide excellent customer service.
Its feels like a home more than a hotel.
The hotel is has decent rooms (very clean and tidy), great location in the middle of town, stunning views and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JamesFidler
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

The rooms are clean and tidy. It is a great hotel in the perfect location with amazing sea views.
It is in the centre, close to all the bars and restaurants.
I came down to Newquay for a short relaxing break and that's exactly what I had.
The hotel team are spot on, friendly, welcoming with plenty of information about the surrounding areas and best places to go.
I will definitely be returning in the summer.

• Stayed January 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

My family and I had a lovely time in Newquay it's an amazing place to visit and the hotel is perfect as it's situated ONLY a few metres from the beach, you have beautiful views when you step out the hotel. The hotel had such a warm welcome when you arrive and when we got to know the owners they're absolutely lovely people and have great advice on places to visit to get the best out of your stay. Really down to earth. You get exactly what you pay for and it's worth the money, ok it's not the ritz/Hilton but it's a place you can relax, the rooms are warm, clean and anything you request is attended to. Felt like a home from home. I will be booking up now for when we come back in July. Little Gem.

Stayed December 2013
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Minerva hotel. I couldn't have picked a better place, the location is amazing. john and Maxine were amazing hosts. The rooms were clean and tidy and john made a great breakfast. I will be booking again got the summer.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Me my husband and two kids had a marvelous stay at the Minerva hotel. The location is excellent, your literally in the centre of it all, no need to drive as your right by the beach and in walking distance to all the bars, restaurants and shops. We had parking on the property Also which made it more convenient. We paid a little extra for the sea view room which I highly recommend, so lovely to wake up looking at the sea. Rooms had all the necessities we needed for the 3 nights we stayed. The staff go above and beyond. They are very approachable, helpful, friendly and made our three nights amazing. We had breakfast in the morning also which was great for the kids as they had a few choices on what they could have.

All in all I would highly recommend, if your after a great location and friendly staff with a full English breakfast! It's a hit!

• Stayed December 2013
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. On arrival I was surprised to learn that they do not accept groups, but welcome contractors.

The room was dirty. Pubic hair in the shower. It was supposed to be a family room, but there was only one cup and one set of towels, we had to as for more. The hotel room was overpowered by the smell of cheap air freshener which gave my wife a coughing fit.
I noticed on the morning we left in reception there was a trail from some muddy boots. This was from a contractor I assume. 2 Hours later when we left, the trail of mud remained. Obviously cleanliness is not important to this hotel.

The breakfast was appalling. I asked for scrambled eggs instead of fried. All I could describe them as are dark brown, dry and cold. The rest of the breakfast was cold. The waiter in the restaurant was un kept and wearing a football shirt. Hardly professional is it! Other guests in the hotel thought it was a good idea to attend breakfast in their pyjamas and night ware. I have never experienced this in another hotel. I guess to goes to show the class of people this hotel is looking to attract.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple