“Great”
Review of Hillcrest Hotel

Hillcrest Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Hillcrest Hotel
Ranked #81 of 106 Newquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my daughter and friends. Lovely place and friendly staff. Received a warm welcome. Room was clean and tidy. A stones throw from the beach. Throughly enjoyed our visit and would definately book again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Happydayz0110

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Been meaning to write this review for some time. I came over last September from Egypt and can honestly say I did not want to go back, the hotel and owners were brilliant! The atmosphere and friendliness of the place is infectious, which always makes any stay more pleasurable. The breakfasts were outstanding, it was like tasting angels dancing on my tongue in comparison to egyptian breakfasts (maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift). If you are looking for a clean, happy, fun hotel I cannot recommend this place highly enough. I will definitely be staying next time, when I visit which is hopefully in August.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tigershark12
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed here in the early part of summer while on a diving course in Rock, just down the road from Newquay. I've been meaning to put this review up for a while now. I arrived and felt immediately relaxed with Duncan and how laid back and honest he is about things. Which is a good thing, as I was about to spend 6 weeks living there with him. Every morning he is up early to make sure that no one comes down stairs and not to be greeted. The bedrooms are small, but cosy. With nice bedding and TV's in every room. During my stay for the six weeks, I bounced around rooms a bit and ended up staying in 3 of the room available, and not one to fault. The shower broke in my first room, but these things happen.

All in all, Duncan bends over backwards to make sure that everyone there is happy and well looked after. And he does an amazing job considering that a lot of his customers are stag and hen parties. Oh, and he also invited me in to his own living area and cooked me dinner on my birthday ha. Thanks for the stay Duncan, I'll be sure to give you a ring if I ever come back down Newquay.

Room Tip: A room at the front will give you a good view the sea etc, but your in Newquay, so who is going to s...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Well....it was average. We were greeted by a very friendly guy could not fault his service. Our room was possibly the best room there we had a fab view and teeny tiny balcony which I don't believe any of the other rooms had. Its very basic and very small but that is all we expected, bed was comfy and linen was clean (although was bunk beds with a single above a double). Unfortunately the room stank of smoke and airing it out really wasn't enough. There was a small bathroom, toilet work and sink worked, Shower was like Chinese water torture. If you were after a nice powerful hot shower that just was not going to happen! Everything could do with a little up date, little things like the sticking door on the bathroom, the stains on the carpet and the broken curtain. Just seemed a little tired. Location is good. Breakfast was good (pretty much all you can eat they didn't want you to head off for the day on an empty stomach that is for sure. Service was great. If you are on a tight budget and just want to have fun in New Quay and all you want your room for is too sleep then this is the place for you as its a great location.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lu_1102
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We came to Newquay for New Year’s Eve and had a fantastic stay at Hillcrest, both the price and service is excellent and we would definitely return on our next visit to Newquay. The breakfast was also delicious. Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Welcomed by Duncan (owner) and made extremely welcome from the start. The hotel was very clean and tidy.
Very friendly and the breakfast was fantastic. En Suite with tea/coffee facilities. However we did most of our tea drinking in the breakfast room and not at breakfast. Duncan will probably see his tea bag stock not going down as fast, now we have left!!!!
We would recommend this hotel without any hesitation to our friends and family. It is just far enough out of the main strip but a nice easy location for wandering down to the town or harbour.
Lots of activities on offer, surfing, kayaking etc if you are into those sort of activities, or just a great place to stay if you are into touring. Extremely well placed for touring.
Will hopefully be booking again later this year.
We would like to extend our thanks to Duncan for his hospitality.

Andy & Sharon Lawton

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Well what can I say?

The Hillcrest, I genuinely cannot praise enough. We were a party of 12ish lads...all up for a big old 3 day stag weekend and I can honsetly say the place was top notch. Nice location off of the main strip by all of 200 yards, but far enough out of the way that you dont get drunken hobo's singing Chumbawumba outside your window in the wee hours. Our stag was heartilly welcomed with a "this will taste nice but may make you go blind" complimentary beverage and Duncan - Kurt Russells long lost stunt double - was a top notch fella. The rooms were as expected for a B&B in Newquay - clean and servieable with no complaints. Obviously, as I have said in previous reviews, if you are looking for the Ritz, or a place where you will get a complimentary mint on your pillow for the morning and the towels folded into the shape of a swan then this is not for you. However, if you want excellent value for money, good friendly no-nonsense service, a nice room, a hearty breakfast and a local authority on surfing, going out and where to get some good food then look no further than the Hillcrest. Also, the offer surfing lessons (or something like this) - however, we booked our surfing through a different place due to our lack of knowledge that he did it. Full marks from me on all fronts.

Duncan, you are the man sir. I cannot put anything whatsoever negative about this hotel. i just wished that Duncan sported an eyepatch, so I could call him Snake...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends