Godolphin Arms Hotel
US$184
US$134
US$180
US$175
The Pentire Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$76
Priceline
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
The Esplanade Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$137
Hotels.com
Travelodge Newquay Seafront Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$66
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
All reviewscoach tripsports tvfried breakfastst michaels mountdays staycider farmboth breakfast and dinnerlovely clean roomromantic weekendsingle roomentertainment roomshort staywell stocked barnational holidaysfull english breakfastgreat holidaystaff were brilliant
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I'm writing this a couple of weeks after we visited so my memory isn't overly fabulous but I remember that we had a good time.

We visited the Godolphin Arms hotel last bank holiday. I had read a lot of varied reviews which worried me, however when I got there I was pleasantly surprised.

Upon entry we were greeted by Margaret who runs the place. She was really lovely and had a laugh with us, so reports of hostility from negative reviewers surprised me. We were given the bill along with the keys however she told us we could pay whenever which was nice. The entry way smelled a little like cigarettes which wasn't great but the room didn't at all so that was really all that mattered.

We got to our room (I think it was room 24) and I loved it. It's dated yes but I kinda like that because I feel like it has a charm to it which more modern places don't have. The room was incredibly clean. The bed was laid out nicely and was very comfy and supportive (I like supportive mattresses rather than those god awful soft memory foam type ones). The bed sheets were also incredibly soft and I could have easily spent all day in the bed! The room also had nice little touches I.e. the tea making station, neatly laid out towels and a little book which had been put together telling us things about the accommodation and things to do near by.

Note - I think the wardrobe needs to be replaced. It wasn't awful and it worked but it was creaky and a tad damaged. Just a little thing.

The bathroom was also really clean. The hot water truly is hot water though so if you decide to go be careful! :P I would have, like others have said, preferred toilet roll rather than one of those dispenser things but that's just me and to be honest it didn't really impact the trip so I'm wondering if it's even worth pointing out...

I'd left my hairdryer at home and asked at reception and was given one which had more power to it than I expected!

Anyway the first night was awful but I'd like to point out that it wasn't the fault of the guest house at all. Hen party group. Blergh. 4am finding it to be appropriate to be SHOUTING in the corridor (not even in their own rooms which I found incredibly selfish seeing as all the rooms were booked up). We complained the next day and we were apologised to by Margaret a million times (regardless of the fact it really was not her fault) and she told us the hen party was leaving and a family was arriving at the room that night. She told us she asks groups to keep it down after 11 but obviously that didn't sink in with them. Either way our second night was a brilliant and perfect night's sleep and I woke up feeling fabulous, as did my partner.

For breakfast we were offered tea/coffee, cereal and a cooked breakfast. We could have either or both which was nice. The cooked breakfast comprised of a sausage, 2 rashers of bacon, beans, a fresh tomato, a fried egg, a slice of fried bread and we were also brought a toast rack and a small glass of orange juice. The tables also had jam, butter etc set out so if you wanted just toast you could. We were asked if we wanted anything else too and any more toast which was nice (we declined as we were full but options are good).

The bill came to £140 , so at 35 per person a night it was good.

Overall - staff friendly, breakfast good, bit dated but room very clean, bed so so so comfy, if you need something don't be afraid to ask! It annoys me when people have a problem and wait til they're sat behind their computer to complain as they're too wimpy to say something at the time!

Thank you Godolphin Arms for such a nice little holiday! :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank FoxySocks
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel last night and was very disappointed pictures are deceiving. We got checked in and then get told that we weren't staying in the hotel that we were staying in the house next door to the hotel . The staff were very nice and friendly they weren't the problem. Our room was awful , the pictures on the walls were all broken it looked a mess . On the outside of the windows was bird poo all over them and they were so dirty that we could hardly see out of the windows. The noise during the night was ridiculous , about four times we got woke up by loud drunkards up to 5am that we're banging doors and shouting at each other . To us this wasn't a pleasant stay at all. We didn't even go the following morning to have the breakfast as we were too disappointed . This hotel is more like a 2* we won't be coming again .

• Stayed: May 2014
13  Thank Becka P
godolphin88, Front Office Manager at Godolphin Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, the house next door is actually our annex which is part of our hotel. We can only apologise for the broken picture in your room which has been addressed and our windows are cleaned regularly but we can not help the weather conditions which blows from the coast including sand and rain. Again apologise for the disturbance you heard. Should you of spoken to us regarding the room we could of moved you to the main hotel.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Have just returned from a four night coach tour and stayed at the Godolphin.
What can I say except the whole experience was fantastic.
My room, number 25, was compact. However, the big surprise was the bathroom which contained a king sized bath tub and shower.
The room had tea and coffee making facilities and a flat screen TV on which all channels could be obtained.
The bedding and towels were immaculate and the room was properly serviced every day.
Breakfast was of an excellent quality and poached or scrambled eggs were made to order. Wholemeal toast if requested was quickly available.
Evening meals; choice of three starters, three mains and sumptuous puddings, followed by tea or coffee were of an excellent standard. All food was fresh, locally sourced and cooked to perfection. I was very surprised the day I chose chicken and had a choice of either leg or breast. Yes, they cook whole chickens and do not serve the catering packs of only legs.
To ensure quality and availability they have a system where you select your main at breakfast. Bravo full marks.
The wait staff were fantastic as were the staff in their extremely welcoming bar. The drink prices were correct and they even had Guinness on tap. To try though is the on tap pear cider which comes from a cider farm only a few miles away. It's absolutely fantastic.
High speed Wifi is available in all the public areas and in the bar garden.
The only problem is that they do not have a lift, however, one of the men will take your suitcase to your room if you cannot manage it yourself.
For getting into Newquay there is a regular bus service just down the road or a taxi will only charge £4-£5. To get to Truro or the Eden project the bus stop is just across the road by the pedestrian crossing. Time tables are clearly posted and busses are on time.
I would highly recommend the Godolphin and will most certainly return.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank Norah R

Thank you for your review on our hotel, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and liked everything about us. Hopefully see you again another time.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The Godolophin is for us our favourite hotel/restaurant to visit in Cornwall . Credit for this must be afforded to Robin and Angela as since they took over the management they have transformed the atmosphere into a very warm, welcoming and friendly place to visit with staff who are all genuinely willing to help. As locals we missed our frequent visits during the refurbishments so was thrilled when the doors opened again in time for Easter. The renovations are simply stunning...and it was wonderful to see the staff ,many who feel like old friends, again. We have enjoyed a variety of delicious food especially the beer-battered fish and chips followed by Emma's chocolate brownie. However the enormous volume of people visiting is noticeable and I would imagine initially challenging for the staff who are adjusting to new systems plus all the additional changes. We have read with dismay some of the negatve reviews about waiting times etc. Please give the staff a chance and instead of complaining be grateful that you can take time sit back and enjoy the atmosphere and magnificent views...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank ajsamuels
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Got this last minute, was good price, pulled up and was disappointed, our room wasn't like the pictures at all, breakfast was ok, nice staff, we were put in a room next to lots young drunks, even though we had a baby, woken up at early hours not impressed, could hear every noise from next door, wouldn't stay here again, felt like a bedsit on a loud council estate

• Stayed: February 2014
7  Thank Holliefrankie
godolphin88, Front Office Manager at Godolphin Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. We were sorry to learn you didn't enjoy your stay last weekend. All of our rooms are furnished to the same standard as pictures online. We also as requested put a travel cot in your hotel room.We can only apologise for any noise you may of heard from the room next door which was two ladies. We have never been described as a 'bedsit' or 'on a council estate' as we are situated on the main road in Newquay along with other guest houses and a college.