“I brought my 11 kids and loved it”
Review of Lusty Glaze Lodge

Lusty Glaze Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newquay
Lusty Glaze Lodge
Dublin, Ireland
“I brought my 11 kids and loved it”
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Mange Tout,
My name is Basil and I brought my 11 kids along for a fun packed weekend. I have read some of the reviews for the "Lusty Glaze Hotel" formally the "Hotel Riveria" and too be honest I'm not sure why the hotel is being knocked.
On arrival to the hotel we were greeted by a fantasically big old old building with gorgeous views of the seafront, local aminities including a putting green with 99% rough.
The young chap we were greeted by was extremely helpful and pleasent at the desk and said unfortunately there was no towels provided but you did get a free sock or jocks on your pillow, which was spleeennnndiiiddd.
The wife and I's first room was ok but as we are a trying for our 12th child so i felt the bunk beds were not suitable for our needs but the children loved them in the other rooms and even turned one of them upside down.
I asked the young chap if we could change rooms and he gave us a lovely room with a great view of the sea that had a really old antiquey smell, At first I wasn't sure if it was from the 3 desks in the room or just the sea but may have been the carpeted bathroom, but either way the wife loved the bed.
Unfortunately they don't serve lunch or dinner on the premises, but I did hear a lovely Irish chap, looked a bit like Alan from the Hangover ,saying that he had seen chicken wings. Either way we were up to early to sample the Breakfast which was on offer from 5am.
Only one critisism of the hotel, in that we had expected a night of ballroom dancing which we had heard a lot about from previous couples. It did however look like someone had a good night previously as there were socks and shoes lying about. I did however find the man lying in his jocks asleep on the snooker table a little disturbing but people are their to enjoy themselves.
The kids had a great time in the town and even tried to bring some of the other kids we met back to play but they weren't keen.
We decided to leave a night early and spend our last night under the stars. The young chap was again so polite behind the desk and didnt even ask us why we were leaving.
Overall a splendid place and I will definitely be back for those Chicken wings so talked about.
Basil.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank louis080

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 21 June 2010

This is certainly NOT the Hotel Riviera it once was! We were a group booking that got a range of different rooms. I was assured twin rooms (two single beds) but was met with bunk beds in some rooms (their stability was questionable). The selection of gifts let for us in our rooms were lovely and very thoughtfull; half eaten chicken wings, used men's boxers, half of the sand from Newquay beach, our bed sheets for us to put on ourselves.....amoungst other things. In the communal areas the selection was just as good; socks, towels, beers cans, banana peels....all of which were still there when we left 2 days later! One of the rooms also smelt like Big Foot took a leak in the room everyday for a year and we arrived! Rancid!
We were assured the bar is open all night but the night porter basically told us where to go when we asked for a drink at 4am. I would have liked to sample something from their fine spirit collection......they had 1 bottle of Gordan's Gin and that's it!

If you want to stay somewhere cheap, unclean and a place that once the woman you are chatting up discovers where she will be potentially staying (until her walk of shame in the morning) she'll vanish before your eyes, then by all means stay here. Otherwise check into another hotel like 2 of our lads did!

Like Nike doesnt say....." Don't Do It"

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank AlanGarnerJD

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I want to get a tshirt made “I didn’t survive the Lusty Glaze Lodge – and I’m proud of it”

This is without doubt the worst place on earth I have ever stayed. End of story!

I may have been suffering hallucinations caused by the smell of the place, but I’m reasonably sure that I saw Bear Grylls in my room during the night looking for food he could eat, and then puke because it was even too disgusting for him!! To be fair the chicken wing that was sitting in the room when we arrived did look as though it had been there a fair while, and may have been too much even for Mr Grylls.

The good news is that if you lose your socks on your stay at the Lusty Glaze you will have no difficulty finding new ones, it seems like every room has been pre supplied with a damp used pair to mitigate the smell from the carpeted bathrooms. Oh also on a positive note, there is enough sand in the rooms to make sand castles – small ones, which is always fun!

Also if you like desks, you will LOVE the Lusty Glaze. There is at least one in every room that our party stayed in, and in many cases members of our group decided to place their mattresses on the desks as they were more comfortable than the beds.

Can’t comment on the breakfast – I checked out before I could bring myself to risk eating in the place. Bring towels, bring toilet paper (they do supply “a” roll, but a second one seems to be a bridge to far. Do not stay in room 109 …. If you get that key … run away, to quote a famous movie “it smells like Big Foots ....”

C.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cliffy34
England
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I stayed there for a stag weekend and it was good enough for what we needed. The beds were clean and comfortable. My only real complaint was the bath didn't work in my room and no shower. Staff were spot on and the bar was £2 a pint.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I stayed in the Lusty Glaze Lodge for a hen weekend and it was great! If all you need is somewhere to lay your head and have a shower then it's great. We have ensuit rooms, cleanliness wasn't great but it did us just fine. Make sure you take your own bath towels as they dont supply them. Location is great, only 5 min walk to the beach, tesco express nearby too, bars, clubs and shops about 15-20 min walk or 2 mins in a taxi. Perfect for a party weekend in Newquay.

• Stayed June 2010
Plymouth
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Parked adjacent to a building site. Checked in and finally found our room after following the maze of corridors and misguided signs only to find a sign with bathroom crossed out and our room number written above it. Not a good sign. The room was extremely small with a mismatch of furniture and any space their might have been taken over by a rusty and creaking bunk bed. All of the surfaces were thick with a layer of dust and the floor was covered in what looked like dog hairs. Found somebody elses razor and a plug full of hair in the shower cubicle, making it obvious that the room had not been cleaned before our arrival. Bathroom was tiny, barely space to move through it and only supplied with a half used roll of toilet paper (in the end stole some from one of the public bathrooms). Public lounge was full of empty beer cans and glasses which were left out for over 24 hours. The whole hotel was full of signs to things that didn't exist such as a sauna, swimming pool and squash courts but instead just took you down a mouldy staircase with the roof falling in. All in all this hotel is due for demolishment and certainly deserves it. I'm sure there are plenty more options to stay in Newquay for a similar price, and if not find a cave it will be cleaner.
p.s don't touch the curtains, their likely to fall down.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Sunny Hoylake
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Checked in and immediately checked out. no food, no towels, no bar- no anything.
Not even a kettle to make a hot drink. more of a doss house than a hotel. Ok if you just want a bed and nothing else!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo