“Stayed in 2012”

Watergate Bay Surf Lodge
Watergate Bay Surf Lodge
Ranked #66 of 106 Newquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I had a stay during the end of season in Oct-Nov 2012 and all I can say is that the company was excellent and the beds were made and we were waited on hand and feet. There are shared showers and toilets however you do get a wash basin in each room. This is a cheap hotel in an ideal location with good bus routes and I would go back again just to see the people there and Oscar the dog.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank R4nger

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Me and some friends were in Watergate bay for the weekend and stayed at the Watergate Bay Surf Lodge. It is a very nice place to stay, extremely cosy, the people are very friendly and made us feel completely at home. Despite being hostel accommodation, the facilities were in good condition and extremely clean. We had a dorm room (with bunk beds :D) to ourselves and the beds were super comfy and warm (a good night sleep is assured for most!). The owner of the place is a very nice and polite lady who, other than serving delicious breakfast, also gave us pointers on places to see around the area. The rates were extremely affordable, Overall a good experience and would definitely go there again :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have visited the lodge a couple of times, and have never had any problems. I wasn't expecting the indulgent luxury of the £300pn hotels in Watergate, but I was expecting a cheap and friendly way to stay (and surf) at Watergate, and that's exactly what I got.

I've been coming to Newquay for years, and this place feels like the last real 'surf lodge' that this corner of the South West has to offer. I wasn't long ago you could stay a hundred metres from Fistral at the backpackers for a few quid a night, now Headland Road is full of million pound apartments!

The rooms are basic, that's true, but I challenge you to find friendlier service and more flexible staff anywhere around here! Free parking and the option to camp is another bonus.

All in all, if you want a relaxed, no frills place to stay, that's close to the beach with great staff, this place is perfect.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I recently stayed there as part of a school surfing trip, and had a really great time. The rooms were comfortable, and even with every bunk filled, we had enough space for bags etc. The toilets and showers were always clean and had hot water. Our host was very friendly and gracious, and served a superb breakfast to us every day, a delicious evening meal, and put up with my insatiable thirst for tea.

As a group, we put the pool room to great use, by watching a film every night on a projector we brought, while relaxing on the comfy seating. it was great to have a space like that to chill out in at the end of a long day's surfing. I can thoroughly recommend it for school groups, and other holiday makers.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank A W
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Have just returned from camping here with a friend for 2 nights
No, it is not flash, but it was friendly, had hot water, a kettle and was in a nice location.
We did not go to the rooms so cannot comment, but I would go back there to camp if I was there for Watergate Bay. The beach is lovely, the food in Fifteen was amazing, as was our meal in The Phoenix. I will be going back to the area and surfing again.
Maybe a little steep for £36 for 2 people for 2 nights -maybe better to charge per tent rather then per person?
Not a place for families though.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank T419KG0
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I spent one night here as part of the oneil package surf deal. After this, my friend and I insisted on moving. The ower herself is extremely kind hearted and flexible. The accomodation however is sub-standard, run down, does not seem clean but is disorganised. We were woken up throughout the night but other guests and residents stomping through the draughty corridors to the communal bathrooms and on arrival, the owner was not even aware that we had booked.

If this place was revamped, reorganised and offered a free, timely shuttle to watergate bay, it would be an excellent spot for surfers. As it is, most visitors will feel disappointed and even uncomfortable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Greenwood4
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I had the pleasure of staying here as part of a surf course I was doing and it was all included in the price. Before I went, I checked out the website and it looked okay. Upon arrival, I was somewhat disappointed. Like the other reviewer, I had to hunt for someone to tell them I was here and be shown to my room. Whilst I was looking for someone, I looked around and saw an pool room with loads of junk & dust in it.

Some random person came in and firstly took me to a room that was unmade and told me to wait. About five mintues later I was taken to another room (which was ready) and was told that i'd be staying there. I enquired about eating facilities as I was under the impression that there was a cafe but was told that they could 'knock something up for me'. It transpires that they don't actually have a cafe or anywhere to prepare your own food which meant that you either had to get a bus/taxi into Newquay or walk 20 mintues down a hill towards Watergate Bay to the pubs there. I did ask for a cup of tea and cheese sandwich one morning and after the look I got, I wasn't going to be asking again!

The room itself was a good size with a double bed and a bunk bed with own handbasin. There are two toilet/showers on each floor which were clean and tidy but the room is neglected. Dated wallpaper hanging off the wall due to damp, old crusty carpets, squeaky beds. I was apprehensive to open any cupboards so lived out of my suitcase for the week. Was nervous that at the weekend, I would have other guests joining me but I needn't of worried as there was only one other guest who was there and thank god, he was on the same surfing trip as me so we were in this together. I tried to arrange to leave early but due to engineering works, I was stuck.

The other people who were in the lodge lived there. At the end of my nightmare stay, I learnt that they had to make renovations in order for the business to continue. I was told that they get really busy over the summer months and if this is so, they should have the revenue to tidy the place up. Its a large lodge and the photos on the website are absolutely misleading and really shouldn't be on there! There is so much potential going to waste. There is also a garden they use for camping, wouldn't reccommend that either.

Never again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank denijenks
BJ8990, Front Office Manager at Watergate Bay Surf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2011

Watergate Bay Surf Lodge is now under new managment. The staff are currently working hard on renovatating the lodge for an already busy 2011.