Errant Surf School - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Surf school

Had a brilliant day at the surf school. Was reasonably priced for 4 surfers . Booked it online in... read more

Reviewed 10 August 2021
Explore07090726579
Manchester, United Kingdom
via mobile
Great surfing experience!

Great experience! We booked an all day lesson with coaches Ru and Charlie. Both very friendly and... read more

Reviewed 23 July 2021
Tourist28923648706
Reading, United Kingdom
via mobile

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We had so much fun during our surfing lessons in Newquay. Our instructor Pete made things really easy to pick up and gave great advice on where we were going wrong. Great value and well worth the money and long journey. We will definitely being going back for more.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

The waves in Newquay (Great Western Bay) is good for beginners, particularly in the during low tide. However it can be a little dangerous at high tide with the rocks on shore - Reef school has rented out exclusively the bigger surfable portion of the beach. Whilst we were there, Pete, Will and Jamie were all very friendly, and Pete in particular was fantastic - very thorough and very dedicated to teaching the students.

In terms of timing, the course timing could be more flexible. 6 hours was advertised each day, however due to high tides we could only get 3.5 hours in the end. Could have started earlier in the morning (say 7am) to take advantage of the low tides in the morning and finish earlier perhaps. Nonetheless, very impressed and would certainly recommend!

Date of experience: September 2011
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I purchased this trip through Living Social and although I could not book the weekend(s) I wanted I was able to book the long weekend in August which was a lucky fluke.

I thought that the best thing about Errant Surf was the staff. They were so friendly and relaxed it was fantastic. On the first day we had 3 instructors and they staggered the start time of all the groups so it was not too overwhelming. One of the instructors started the day as the official photographer which was great as we had not taken cameras. They uploaded the pictures on the office computer and offerred to save these on disk for everyone or you could email them to yourself.

I do agree with other reviewers that the steps down to the surf could be improved (the last few steps are a bit too weathered) and the changing and locker facilities upgraded. Also on the second day there were too many people in our group, so it was impossible to catch waves and not run into/over other learners. On this last morning I didn't feel that there was not enough instructors per learners and noticed that other learners were struggling but not getting help.

Overally I would say that the staff were the best thing about the surf school, such amazing happy, helpful, people - especially Sam who shows maturity beyond his years. I would recommend errant surf to others, and I would go to them again if they repeated the same offer through Living Social.

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Lovely to surf in Newquay. Nice people to deal with, booking, office and surfing instructors and offer personal service. Would be better without big step climb up and down with big board and a warm shower would be nice.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

I bought this deal on Living Social for myself and 7 friends. We weren't expecting much as the deal was so cheap but when we arrived at the hostel they'd organised (Ocean Lodge) it was perfect for our needs. The bedrooms and bathrooms were clean and basic and the breakfast was really just like grabbing something to eat at home. We had 2 full days surfing and had an instructor to ourselves, different ones each day. Will, our day 1 instructor was friendly and motivating and was always about when I needed a bit of guidance. So was the other one but forgotten his name! Both instructors pulled me into the waves a few times because frankly my arms are like jelly and paddling requires some muscles! Despite being terribly unfit and new to the surfing thing they had me standing on a board by the end of the 2 days which I think is quite a feat. Everyone was so friendly and no-one made me feel silly when I got chucked 10 meters by a wave or headbutted my board. I have to warn you that you'll probably get a good battering, especially if you're a bit on the petite side like me but I am a total wimp and I loved every minute of it! We all arrived home with every muscle in our bodies aching and massive smiles on our faces. I have definitely caught the bug; it's great exercise and it's highly addictive. So I've decided to swap my smoking habit for a surfing habit : ) Thanks Errant, you made my birth celebrations something to remember.