The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
US$94
US$179
US$174
Hotels.com
The Pentire Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$189
US$183
The Esplanade Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Pool
US$84
US$82
Priceline
Travelodge Newquay Seafront Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$66
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
3,975 results
All reviewsthe cottagesterrace restaurantsamphire restaurantcourtyard roomstorm watchingfistral viewmain restaurantfour poster bedhotel facilitiesbeautiful hoteldog friendly hotelself cateringrelaxation roomstunning viewscream teaamazing locationsteam room
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Just returned from our 4th visit to the Headland Cottages. This time we stayed in Huers 1, a one bedroomed cottage with a side sea view. Despite it being in the middle of the summer holidays, the normal high standards of the staff and facilities was evident throughout. All requests were carried out promptly with minimum fuss. For example, as a wheelchair user, I asked if one of the large armchairs could be removed to give me more space to manoeuvre. Within 10 minutes, the porter, resplendent in his Cornish tartan waistcoat, had arrived and reorganised the lounge.
Several of the cottages have 'Disabled Access' although they all slightly vary in what they offer e.g. Bath or wheel in shower, so if that's important to you, it might be worth phoning them to double check your requirements.
When I first visited, I was lucky enough to be shown around 3 cottages so I could compare and contrast, but that would obviously depend on whether they were vacant at the time of visiting. I'm not going to tell you which of the three cottages I liked the best as I don't want it to be booked up all year.
What I love about the cottages is the fact that although they are accessible, they still retain a traditional cottage feel. Obviously Wi-Fi in the cottages would be brilliant, however I try to use my Headland breaks to just chill out and escape from the modern world. The scenery both in Winter and Summer is breathtaking.
Before I get too sycophantic, I do feel the hotel restaurant is a slight weak point of the Headland experience. I have eaten there on several occasions, although to be fair not on this recent visit, and the food and service is very variable. To be fair, I've not had a really bad meal but given the relatively high price, I feel it could do better.
My only other concern is the renovation plans for 2012. Whilst I'm sure many of them are necessary, I hope they don't compromise the experience of those of us who enjoy the 'Cottage' experience. 'Rain Curtains(!)' and 'aromatherapy showers' sound very 21st century, but let's never forget the true star of the Headland is the natural landscape in which it sits.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobD1973
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Had a great weekend with my son surfing and coasteering along Fistral Beach all organised by Ben and Gemma at the Headland. We had an amazing room overlooking Fistral Beach, food was great and the indoor pool was perfect for a warm relax. We had a great father and son bonding weekend and would recommend it highly for all you dads out there looking for something active to do. Base yourself at this amazing hotel and you cant go wrong. Friendly staff, great restaurant (especially the breakfast!) and nice clean rooms for that post surf crash out! Get yourself down here as soon as you can. I know I'll be back.

3  Thank paulcl99
Reviewed 30 July 2011

A really lovely Victorian hotel, set on a cliffside at Fistral Beach, Newquay. An absolute treat to stay and eat here ..... if the weather is warm have lunch on The Terrace overlooking the sea. The view is wonderful.

The staff are very well trained and courteous at all times. The food is wonderful.
There is a heated outside pool for the cooler days.

Inside the hotel is very grand and plush, but unstuffy.

I can thoroughly recommend it!

2  Thank Dawn046
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Ideal location overlooking Fistral Beach. We stayed in a family room overlooking the ocean with fantastic views and the sound of the waves were very relaxing. Room was slightly basic as we had to ask for a fridge, and wi-fi could only be picked up in one corner. The Hotel was kid friendly, but we would have struggled to have kept our two amused if the weather had been bad. Would recommend an organised kids club for a couple of hours each day. Staff were very helpfull and accomadating nothing was too much trouble, however the resturaunt staff could do with extra training to keep focused on customer care we did not have a good expierience on the first night in the main resturaunt, fortunately the general manager Veryan was on duty in the resturaunt and intervened on our issues and even ended up keeping our kids amused! The following night we ate in the hotels other resturaunt and after outlining our ground rules we had a superb dinner. Would recommend and we hope to return again later in the summer.

2  Thank zazazaz
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The Headland Hotel commands a premier location at Fistral Beach. The building is grand, and its abundant public spaces were comfortable and inviting. My friend and I had a terrific rate on a twin room (two twin beds), but based on other reviews, I would guess that the rate was because they were unrenovated rooms. The beds were terribly uncomfortable, and the bathroom was in need of modernization. Noises from the plumbing were horrifyingly amusing. If the room had been one of the renovated ones, I'm sure my review would be 5 of 5.

The food served in the restaurants was fresh and tasty. Breakfast is excellent each day. Service throughout the hotel and its restaurants was outstanding. Overall, I'd recommend a stay here -- just get a renovated room.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank carport
TheHeadlandHotel, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular our wonderful location and breakfast! I have passed on your comments about the 'outstanding service' you received to the whole team, who were very happy to hear your views.

Indeed you are correct in your assumption of the bedroom you stayed in being one of our older rooms - it is one of the 13 remaining rooms that are due for a complete renovation this winter. Once this has been completed, all of the rooms in the hotel will have been redecorated in the last two and half years, which is a fantastic achievement by our very hard working Maintenance and Painting teams.

Our new bathrooms we are installing have large walk in power showers (with 1ft diameter shower heads), double ended baths, under floor heating, and de-misting mirrors. Some guests have even commented that they would be happy to move into the bathroom permanently!

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future, where we will try and ensure you have one of the beautiful and recently renovated rooms.

Best wishes, Veryan Armstrong, General Manager