“Headland Cottages-Amazing!!”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
“Headland Cottages-Amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

My husband & I are currently staying in a Headland cottage for our wedding anniversary. We chose a cottage to give us & our dog a bit more 'freedom' & privacy. What a wonderful place this is proving to be. We come to Newquay/Crantock every year have done since we first met & have always admired The Headland Hotel but felt the cottages where more 'us'. Upon arrival lovely Adam on reception showed us round the hotel & it's facilities then showed us to our one bedroom cottage & showed us what we needed to know in there. He offered to help us with our bags but I felt we could manage ourselves but used one of the little wicker trollies to carry them to our retreat.

The cottage-WOW!! Attention to detail is everything, so beautifully decorated. Despite it being so windy outside once your in the cottage you can't hear a thing it's so quiet. It has every 'mod con' & every piece of kitchen equipment you need. Everywhere is very clean & when we entered the cottage it had a lovely smell, even though these cottages are 'dog friendly'. The bathroom is spacious with a powerful shower & the bedroom with its four poster bed is decorated in 'seaside' fresh colours with white crisp linen & a feather duvet. The bed is extremely comfortable, perfect after a long day with lots of walking. The view from 'Waterside 4' are the best, I'm just watching the sun set as I write this & before I was lucky to capture a full rainbow from the deck area with my camera (bring your camera you will need it!)

It's the little touches like a courtesy call to make sure everything is ok & an anniversary card off the hotel plus a blanket, treats & poo bags for the dog that make it even more special. I would also highly recommend a Trevilley Farm hamper which can be ordered with for your arrival at the cottage. It has all your essentials plus a few treats & is well worth it, you can find a link on the Headland home page. I could write more & more but ill stop now & finish by saying YOU HAVE GOT TO COME!!'

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Flossy42
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you very much for such a wonderful review, following your recent stay your recent stay in Waterside 4 when you were also celebrating your wedding anniversary; If I may say what a very popular choice of Cottage you made!
It would seem as though you were able to enjoy some very special quality time whilst you were with us, and your summing up is just the environment we strive to deliver for guests who choose The Headland.
I will ensure that Adam is made aware of his mention and additionally I am sure he will want to pass on your recommendation of the beautifully Cornish hamper, produced by Trevilley Farm, and that was awaiting your impending arrival! Please accept my very best wishes from the Headland team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Greek first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay, was meant to be only 3, but loved it so much we stayed an extra night.
Having spent every childhood holiday in Newquay, I had spent many years looking up at this hotel thinking "one day I will stay there"
Well I did and it was wonderfull.
We were upgraded to a Fistral beach room due to the building work going on and the effect it had on our Atlantic room.
Beautiful room with an amazing view.
Ate every night in the resturant. Food was amazing, probably the best we have had in a long while.
Staff, service, cleanliness, attention to detail and atmosphere all excellent and I am very fussy.
I am trying really hard to find fault, the only thingI can think of is the size of the bath towels, hand towel sized...
We will be back.
Thank you for a charming stay.

1 Thank Ferris5632
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
I really enjoy reading reviews such as yours, and thank you for taking the time to share this review of your stay at The Headland. We recognise that our Hotel has a special meaning and place for many of our guests; long may we continue to be an aspirational choice to experience a beautiful building, located uniquely, and with the capability to create such precious memories. I am delighted that you found your stay to be charming, you are very welcome.
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

We stayed in one of the self catering cottages, they are beautiful, but it was not as clean as it should have been for 5 star. The bathroom floor wasn't clean, but as soon as i complained they sent someone to clean it. We were also surprised when we arrived we were presented with a £150 deposit, which wasn't mentioned anywhere on the website or when booking the cottage. It is in a beautiful location surrounded by sea views, however, which I suppose made up for all the little faults. We enjoyed going to the bar where a member of staff called Aaron was very helpful and friendly as were the other members of staff, but didn't bother trying the restaurant as the food didn't look anything special, & being this close to the sea there are quality eateries everywhere.

- Rooms not as clean as I'd like from a 5 star hotel
- Amazingly stunning location & surroundings
- Beautiful hotel
- 4 days was not long enough!!!

Room Tip: Can't speak for the hotel rooms, but the self catering cottages are beautiful and well worth the...
1 Thank SarahKille
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with at one of our Headland Cottages. It was most unusual to learn that any of the Cottages are anything other than immaculate upon occupation by our guests; however I am re assured to hear that we rectified the situation upon request. These situations are very rare indeed however, should not have occurred in the first place, please accept my apologies.
With regards to the charge of £150 deposit charge which you have referred to, I can confirm that this clearly stated within the terms and conditions section of our website.
It is a shame that you did not indulge in the seasonal menu and the array of fresh daily special s on offer in The Terrace; table reservations are often essential, due to the popularity of this restaurant with residents and locals alike, and I think may well have been pleasantly surprised.
I do hope that this will not detract from any future stay that you may be considering with us once again.
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

This was our first trip not only to The Headland Hotel but also to Newquay!

Having spent most of our business and leisure stays in hotel rooms the 5 * cottages were a very welcome change.

We opted for the cottages for several reasons: We like to eat breakfast at our leisure, we like to have direct access to the outside either to a balcony or garden and we like to have our own front door. On top of this I am studying so having the large kitchen table and WiFi access was invaluable!

They come equipped with absolutely everything you need including; dish washer tablets, washing up liquid, kitchen roll and salt and pepper mills. There is also a complimentary tray of beverages and a carton of milk in the fridge as well as dressing gowns. Attention to detail - love it! Obviously you also get the flat screen TV, DVD player and stereo.

Towels and bins are changed daily, but you don't get the knock on the door at silly o'clock and, if they do knock at an inconvenient time, they come back when you ask!

Outside of the french doors there is a decking area with table and chairs leading to a grassed area and the most captivating sound and sight of the Atlantic Ocean!

Parking is away from the cottages but the lovely staff use a wicker trolley to bring your luggage around for you.

Unfortunately due to my going through chemotherapy for the dreaded breast cancer, we didn't test out the gym or pool, something we would normally be into before we've unpacked! Next Year though!

Room Tip: We stayed in The Tide Three Cottage, is a two bed with lovely sea views. However from what I can se...
2 Thank customerserviceagent
Your review was wonderful, thank you so much and I am delighted that your first experience to the Headland Cottages was an enjoyable, and I am sure we will have the pleasure of you trying not just our current Spa facilities but the full works next year! It is really positive for us to know that the 'little things' or attention to detail that you describe is appreciated, and contributes towards making 'your time' as relaxing and easy as it can possibly be. Good luck with your ongoing treatment and best wishes from us all until next time.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

This hotel is truly a home from home, dogs welcome, friendly service, fab food, & facilities getting better. We only live 30 mins away, but we come to stay to really chill out. Just out of the Newquay mayhem to feel isolated, but ten min walk to centre of the town. The most fabulous views all around. Lots of work going on in the grounds at the moment but not effecting the running of the hotel. The cottages in the grounds are fantastic value & are really luxurious. We come over often just to sit on the deck & have lunch. The food is always good and the dog gets free food too !!! Dogs are allowed on Fistral beach all year round so great in summer or winter. The hotel rooms are spacious & well decorated, but best of all are the staff. The service is amazing & rivals the best hotels & cruise ships we have had holidays on. Will keep coming back & look forward to all the new things they are building & planning.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Foxytida
This is a terrific review and what a wonderful picture you have painted of The Headland, we are all very proud of the Hotel and Cottage Village and everything that it stands for. As you rightly mention and we would very much agree, our staff are an all important equation in the success story. We never take such an enviable position, and stunning location for granted, but it does make a very special and memorable setting for so many of our return guests.Thank you very much for being a very valuable return visitor.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Just returned home after spending 3 nights at the Headland. I have stayed an numerous hotels in Newquay and the Headland is by far the best!! The staff were very friendly and we were even given an impromptu tour by one member of staff! I think the fact it ix not part of a chain and follows no corporate agenda is really nice, it retains great charm! The room was great, view was fantastic! The new spa is excellent and it was nice to be asked for feedback by another member of staff on this facility which goes to show they are interested in the residents experiences at the hotel. Breakfast was awesome!
It is nice that the hotel is so dog friendly - this was not expected. I have stayed at many other hotels with a dog a not felt as welcome. The staff all seemed very happy to see our dog and that just added to the whole experience. Overall, I would find it difficult to fault the place! Great work, I look forward to returning in the not too distant future.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank btw2984
Thank you very much for your kind review, and for sharing what sounds like a very enjoyable short break with us. Your experience very much reflects how we would hope to be portrayed by our guests, it would seem that there is a very strong preference from our regular guests, to be staying in a privately run Hotel and of course for being so dog welcoming! We look forward to seeing you back at The Headland again in the future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

This was my first stay at the Headland for over 20 years as I used to holiday there as a child and was determined that I would stay there again one day. The hotel's situation is the USP and you really feel like you've arrived somewhere special as you drive up to it. The rooms were comfy (bed was lovely), spotlessly clean and warm. Shower was excellent. Majority of staff were extremely friendly (one miserable barman let them down) and helpful. Breakfast was good although we had to wait a long time to be seated and served on Sunday morning although apologies were forthcoming. I just wish we could have stayed longer but we will next time!

Room Tip: Have the Eggs Benedict for breakfast- superb!
2 Thank Travelbug603
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 28 October 2012
Thank you for a lovely review and how lovely that you finally re traced your foot prints of some 20 years earlier, quite remarkable. The Headland must have made quite an impression coupled with fond memories the first time around. My apologies that there was an unsatisfactory ‘blip’ to your experience on Sunday morning, but a matter that we will follow up. Please don't leave it so long next time before coming back to see us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,488 reviews

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!