The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
US$184
Hotels.com
Minerva Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$93
The Pentire Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$179
US$174
The Esplanade Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Pool
US$84
US$82
Priceline
Travelodge Newquay Seafront Hotel(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$66
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
3,975 results
All reviewsthe cottagesterrace restaurantsamphire restaurantcourtyard roomstorm watchingfistral viewmain restaurantfour poster bedhotel facilitiesbeautiful hoteldog friendly hotelself cateringrelaxation roomstunning viewscream teaamazing locationsteam room
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I recently booked a spa afternoon at the Headland Hotel for my friend's hen party. I was blown away by the service I received. The spa manager Martina was extremely helpful with planning in the lead up to the day. On arrival we were met by 2 of the spa therapists who looked after us throughout the afternoon. As well as being very talented therapists they were helpful, friendly and incredibly professional. The wellness area was also a fantastic place to spend an afternoon relaxing between treatments. We all had a wonderful afternoon and I cannot recommend the spa at this hotel strongly enough. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lucy G
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you very much for your review of your spa day. I believe you are the first person to comment on our new treatments, so thank you very much for taking time to do so. Martina is our new Spa Manager and we are very lucky to have her on board. She has such passion and is always excited to plan a day in the spa for our visitors. The therapists we have are also a real credit to us, they have been introducing a wonderful treatment menu which is proving very popular and they have been complimented many times too. We will be delighted to welcome you and your friends back to The Headland Spa, coming soon will be further treatment rooms, relaxation lounge and state of the art Gym to mention but a few!

Reviewed 16 May 2013

We try to visit this hotel at least once a year because it's definitely special - wonderfully spacious, comfortable and stylish but not at all pretentious. It's a really family friendly hotel with delightful staff and we can take our dog too! He loves walking on Fistral beach and along the cliff paths. We've just experienced the worst weather we've ever had in Cornwall but because the hotel is so comfortable and now has a lovely new indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi etc. we were perfectly happy watching the wild sea & weather through the huge Victorian windows.! We will be back!

Room Tip: The rooms are all very nice but some have nicer outlook/more space. We had an upgrade when we arrived because my husband wanted to do some work while he was there.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Blackbird1946
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2013

Thank you for your review. We have been unlucky with the weather of recent but as you described the Hotel has plenty of facilities to keep you occupied when the wind is howling outside. Our Wellness Area is a wonderful place to relax and will be expanding this year to incorporate a lovely new Spa and state of the art Gym. So no matter what the weather there will a place to escape. We in fact have “storm watching weekends” where guests visit especially to see the weather at its wildest over the ocean, it really is quite a sight. I am glad that you dog also enjoys his holidays; Fistral beach is a firm favourite with many guest’s canine companions and the cliff top walks give them that little extra to explore! Thank you also for your comments regarding the Hotel and our Headland staff. Everyone who works here is a credit to us and I am always happy to read how we have made your stay so special. We hope to see you again at The Headland.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have heard great things about this hotel and had booked a weekend getaway with my boyfriend. Unfortunately we have a death in the family near our reservation. The management team was considerate and great to work with. We look forward to staying here in the future given their focus on customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review the Hotel. I am sorry to hear the circumstances which lead to you cancelling your stay with us. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our management team, we understand that sometimes things are out of a person’s control and we would be delighted to welcome to you to The Headland at another time. It will certainly be our pleasure to meet you when you stay at the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Due to a problem walking my wife and I cancelled a holiday abroad but decided we needed a nice break in the UK, for this we looked at a number of hotels in Cornwall that provided a good standard. Well with the Headland Hotel we stumbled on a treasure. Having looked at Tripadvisor both the good and bad reviews we decided on trying this hotel and decided on one of the ‘Best’ rooms (their naming convention) I have to say we checked in with ease we were asked for a credit card deposit for extras which is a usual hotel request (see one complaint logged on TA) in all good hotels. I can understand the hotel position on this as I understand they recently had a group eat on the Terrace restaurant and did a runner without paying!

The room we had although I assume not the best room in the house was very good roughly six mtrs sq, had a 4 poster bed and very nice furniture and extremely nicely appointed, plenty of power points, one of the better rooms I have stayed in. The bathroom was great a huge bath by the window so you can watch the surfers while enjoying a hot soaking, the only complaint is that the bath was a little low down for me to most benefit from the views. The bathroom was a very good size with a double sink and walk in shower all operated superbly, I would like to congratulate the people who refurbished both the bedroom and bathroom as the finish was excellent and obviously a great deal of attention had been paid on the work carried out.

The breakfast was the best I have had, fresh juice, Eggs Royale superb, and a really good vegetarian option which had the best quality product, really good. Only complaint is there is building work being done, I had to complain about the drilling noise during breakfast, on the positive side they did stop the drilling.

The location of the hotel is great and the staff obviously takes a pride in working at the Headland the grounds were well attended to again when I viewed TA one complaint mentioned dog mess. I did find that the hotel is extremely dog friendly in fact I caught the staff dog sitting a dog while the owners went for breakfast, another first! However the grounds were spotless no trash or any mess.

Now you may think this critique is coming from a member of staff well it isn’t so to give some balance here are the negatives.

The restaurant menu for myself and wife is poor we are vegetarians but eat fish but not shell fish this meant that there was not a good selection for us and it also seemed expensive for what was there. When will Chefs learn that mushy rice called risotto is not what veggies like?

We did eat in the Terrace Restaurant I had the soup followed by the fish my wife had the soup followed by the vegetarian curry, we sent both soups back as they were cold, and when asked my wife told the waiter that the curry was not good tasteless and over cooked, even though this was told to what I assume was the manager no one came back to us. One waiter there came straight out of Faulty Towers while ordering the
wine!

The final complaint is some of the cleaning needs to be double checked, in the lift the bottom bar and at the edges of the carpets were not cleaned a dead fly had been there for the whole stay of our visit.

If asked to take a full account of our stay it was very good, great hotel, fabulous location, very good and attentive staff, with very minor niggles.

Room Tip: If you can go for the 'Best' rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

I am pleased to read that on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us and we are grateful for all your positive feedback. With regards to the “few minor niggles” as you put it; I am saddened to read this part of your review as we do take pride in every department in the Hotel to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay. The Restaurant menus change daily and it is unfortunate that the vegetarian meal you ordered was not to your liking, had you dined on a different night there would have been a different vegetarian option which may have suited your tastes better. We have a fantastic team of chef’s who will always be more than happy to make a special meal, on request, should you wish.
With regards to your dining experience in The Terrace I am glad that the soup dishes were rectified for you, If your wife was unhappy with the curry that she ordered I hope that she was given an alternate option and that is certainly something I will look into with any staff members involved.
I am shocked that you saw a dead fly in the lift, our housekeeping team have been informed and I appreciate you mentioning this.
I hope that you will choose to stay with us again, we are a family run hotel and we have one of the best locations in Cornwall. As you mentioned the rooms are decorated to a very high standard and our staff are always on hand to assist. We are welcome of all your comments as we will never stop striving to be the number one holiday destination in Newquay. Thank you again for your constructive comments, and I can assure you that all of these will be addressed in due course.
With best wishes from The Headland.

Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful, and the staff, without exception, brilliant. We stayed here at the recommendation of friends, who we came with this time. Their room was lovely, we paid £12 less and our room just didn't compare! To make it worse we were in an interconnecting room and the room next door had two men staying, part of a golfing weekend I believe. So, their alarm call at 6am woke us! They then talked loudly - which they should be able to, but very disturbing for us, and not what I expect when I pay £169 a night.
Unfortunately our spa experience was even worse. This should be a calm, relaxing atmosphere, but a family were in the pool with their three children. The toddlers were allowed to run around, shouting, and were in and out the sauna and steam room and jacuzzi.
Obviously these were unfortunate experiences and our overall impression of the hotel was a good one. We ate in the main restaurant one night and it was superb. Breakfast was great, and the cocktails in the bar delicious.
I would certainly advise anyone booking to ask for an updated room though and not one with an interconnecting door.

• Stayed: May 2013

I would like to firstly thank you for taking time to post a review on the forum. I am delighted that you found the hotel, food and service to your expectations. I understand your comments regarding the interconnecting room; this was indeed unfortunate as the guests next door were early risers. This is something that we are addressing in our refurbishment of the hotel and in the meantime should this ever occur we have twenty four hour porter service whereby we will be able to move you another room should you be disturbed. With regards to the pool, we have taken your comments on board and will be introducing “child swimming times”. This means guests with children will have allocated times when they are able to swim as a family and there will be other times in the day where adults only will be in the Wellness Area.
I certainly hope you choose to stay at The Headland again, we have many exciting projects planned starting with our new Spa and Gym which will be opening this summer. It will be lovely to welcome you back.