“Still a great hotel but standards are slipping!”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We have visited the Headland on numerous occasions since 2007; this was probably our 10th /11th visit. I cannot disagree with what most recent guests have said but must echo the comments of Jayare14 from S.England on 13 June.We arrived as a family of 7 (4 adults and 3 children) with our 10 yr old grand-daughter sharing a room with us. On entering the room, housekeeping had overlooked that there were 3 in the room and had not made up the bunk bed for our grandchild.There were 2 sets of towels,cups and one packet of biscuits (a bit stingy) However this was soon rectified with an apology and extras provided.We ordered room service that evening and specifically asked for plenty of salt - none appeared on the tray! The next morning at breakfast (after waiting several minutes) I asked a waiter if someone could take my order from the menu.(from previous experience I knew this could take up to 25 mins to be delivered to the table.)The young waiter I spoke to, glared at me and said "We WILL be round to take your order shortly!" As a result I received my eggs Royale after all the family were about to leave! Having said that the eggs were absolutely delicious and almost worth the long wait! We dined at the Terrace restaurant that evening, and my son ordered rib eye steak and chips.The steak arrived but the chips came 20 mins later as he was finishing off his steak! He had waited and waited but eventually started to eat rather than have a cold meal! On our last night we had a very enjoyable meal in the Brasserie-this is the place to enjoy seafood which is always cooked to perfection and is mouth-watering.We were not disappointed but unfortunately my husband found onion skin in his soup and then had ice put in his brandy.All 4 star hotels should know that brandy is served warm and often with a napkin over the glass to keep it warm! Finally (my last moan!) the wrong newspaper was delivered on 2 mornings and could not be exchanged. Yes, these are minor glitches in what was otherwise a great short break.The new balcony area outside the ballroom is very relaxing on a warm Summer evening and the new indoor swimming pool and spa is a great addition.Overall the staff were attentive and our room was well appointed giving us a very comfortable night`s sleep.I would still recommend this hotel and probably return but I think management need to review the standards in the restaurant.On this occasion there were just too many small things going wrong given that we had paid £1500.00 for 3 nights B & B!! Come on Headland- talk to your staff and sort out these minor issues to retain your first class reputation!

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed;it`s a matter of choice really.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank lmilson
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Firstly, may I take this opportunity to thank you for taking time to review The Headland so constructively.
Having spoken to you personally following your comments slip and this review regarding your stay I would like to assure you that we have already addressed the points raised.
For the sake of future guests reading this review I would like to say that these are reasons, not excuses for our tardiness on this occasion. We pride ourselves on staff training to the highest standards and it seems some of our new members of the team require further training. The attention to detail has been missed during this stay but we are looking forward to welcoming you again as discussed.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,671)

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Fantastic food ,service and views. Always a pleasure to be here and we will be returning very soon. This place is absolutely superb and I would encourage everyone to visit. The building is very atmospheric with a great history which is well worth investigating for those who are interested.

Room Tip: Sea views are a must.
2  Thank adrian r
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

We do have a vast history indeed, from motor garages being made into staff accommodation, which was then let by the staff behind the owner’s backs! To blockbuster films including Roald Dahl’s “The Witches” being filmed on location. We have a wonderful hotel, and a location to rival any Mediterranean coastline. We will look forward to welcoming you back to The Headland in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Our third visit to the headland in 3 years, so you can see we love this place. We again stayed in the cottages, this time we had a cottage close to the entrance so we did not have far to go with our disabled mom, who uses a wheelchair.
Additions to the hotel since last year include a new pool area which was lovely, and a very pleasant veranda area where you could enjoy a relaxing drink overlooking the beach.
The staff were again very attentive, friendly and helpful.
I have thought long and hard about what to write on this review and feel I must point out the problems we had parking, and the disruption from the mechanical diggers.
The hotel & cottages were by no means full, however due to the continuing renovation works the hotel are undertaking, the parking spaces near to the cottages were closed. This meant on numerous occasions we had to park in front of the hotel and walk all the way round to the cottage area with a woman in a wheelchair. It was unfortunate that the weather was so bad during this time (which I know the hotel has no control of). The hotel had a wedding and conference whilst we were there which meant trying to find a parking space was even worse.
If there is no improvement I dread to think what it will be like in high season when the hotel & cottages are full of guests.
I did mention the parking problems to a member of staff, and asked when work on the underground car park would be started. Unfortunately they had no idea.
As mentioned at the top of this review we have been coming here for 3 years and every year there has been renovation work being done on the hotel, but this is the first year it has caused a problem.
I will visit the hotel again but I think I will leave it for a few years until all the disruption from the renovation work has been completed.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear you made use of our pool and had nice weather so you could sit outside on the veranda and take in the lovely views.The maintenance works that are being completed are vital to the upkeep of this beautiful listed building, the renovation works will improve the existing hotel and there is some minor disruption during this period. I am sorry to read that you had difficulty with the person in your party who was in a wheelchair, we do have a twenty four hour porter service and are happy to provide assistance wherever needed. We have taken your comments on board, thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

My wife and I met at the Headland Hotel some twenty-seven years ago and married two years after we met. So this year was our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and we decided to go back to the Headland Hotel where we met. I booked a room overlooking Fistral beach. I must admit we had fantastic weather, so we had the windows open all the time. To look out the beach late evening and early morning was very special. I had arranged for a bottle of champagne and some flowers to be in the room on our arrival. The champagne was in a chiller and the flowers were superb. In addition, the hotel had written an anniverary card to us and provided a couple of additional presents. It made the arrival very special.
The room was pleasant and well cleaned and maintained. The bathroom was excellent, one of the best I have stayed in. The bath was superb!
The hotel itself has great character and charm. It is well maintained, clean and tidy. It does occupy a superb location as its name suggests.
Our meals were taken in the restaurant, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The quality of the food was very high. We had some wine each evening, as recommended by the wine waiter. He clearly knew his wine and was well informed. We had seafood starters, the crab lasagne is to be recommended. The rest of the meal was excellent as well. Breakfast on Saturday was fine with good choice of food. We ate again in the restaurant on Saturday evening and treated ourselves to their steaks. Again, a very high quality meal. We also had some drinks out on the Terrace, which is very pleasant but can get a bit busy in good weather.
We found the staff very helpful, well informed and very competant. They made our stay very special. The only areas for improvement were that we felt the massages were too expensive so did not partake. The level of service at breakfast on Sunday was quite not as high as Saturday. We had to ask for our coffee and tea twice, just a little thing I know but still important. There is building work taking place in the environs of the hotel, which may detract a little, but these are part of an ambitious redevelopment and enhancement of the hotel's facilities.
Overall, the weekend was everything I could have dreamed it to be. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for and we felt we had good value for money.
One last comment, we walked around the Pentire area of Newquay and drove around the town, and having lived and worked there previously, I was disappointed with how the town appears. There were several empty and boarded up properties, with others looking rather tired, although in balance there are also some new developments, mainly flats. Fistral Beach was also not as I remembered it, now very stoney over much of its length. Perhaps my memory is at fault, it was twenty-five years ago.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review on the website. What a lovely story of how you met and a wonderful way to spend your silver anniversary, we are delighted to have been a part of that.

I am very pleased to read how you enjoyed your visit, you must have seen many changes in twenty five years! Our staff are indeed well trained and they take pride in what they do, I am glad to see that this has been reflected in the service you received. Your constructive comments have also been taken on board and I thank you for bringing such items to our attention.

With regards to your comments on the town of Newquay and the Pentire region, there have been many new developments in all areas of the town with much rejuvenation happening throughout Newquay. This includes a broader range of shops opening in the town, a new PADI dive centre, vintage tea shop and an art gallery to name a few. These shops are a welcome change to the town centre and we have had very positive feedback from guests.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Holidaying in Newquay many times over the years since our first camping holiday there in 1960, we've often admired The Headland from afar. We finally stayed at there for the first time for the May Bank holiday. It surpassed our every expectation, from the wonderful Victorian lobby and grand staircase to the hi-tech indoor pool and the fabulous views from the restaurant and the bar terraces. We had a 'Coastal view' room on the 2nd floor with a super view of Newquay bay, our rooms were large, very comfortable and immaculately clean. Being far away from the main road and with thick walls it was very quiet both inside and outside, except for the occasional guest arrivals & departures as we had the windows fully open all the time and overlooked the forecourt. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. If you stay out of the season, it can get cold and a little windy on the bar terrace so we'd recommend booking a table inside if you decide to eat there rather than the restaurant. We liked it very much indeed, so much so that we're going back for the same treat next year!

Room Tip: If you like absolute quietness a West or South facing room away from the service lift might be bett...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Criddus

That is wonderful news that we have surpassed your expectations - that is indeed our aim! I am delighted that you have decided to stay with us after visiting Newquay on many occasions. The Hotel is admired by many along the North Coast of Cornwall and it is our pleasure to have been able to welcome you into the hotel. We are very fortunate to be close to the town but far enough away that there is no noise. The wind is indeed strong here! In winter you can hear it howling and many guests wrap up on warm on the Veranda enjoying one of our “storm watching” breaks and the views are spectacular. I shall ensure that all the staff are aware of your kind words and we will look forward to welcoming you back to The Headland very soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed here as part of a special interest group booking. We were given a price band range of rooms to choose from, we opted for an Ocean view room. Nice sized room with excellent views of the ocean as anticipated, the sound of the surf from the open window was fantastic. The window, when closed, along with the secondary double glazing is very effective in keeping the sound of the surf out when required. We arrived in glorious sunshine and the sunset was indeed spectacular. Not sure if we'd be so impressed in bad weather. The room, 203, was decorated in a slight Victorian style with contemporary touches. The bathroom was nicely decorated with space for wash bags etc. Nice quality bed linen and towels, including flannels and Gilchrist and Soames toiletries. Good range of freeview channels on the 24 inch TV. iPod dock and free wifi.

Although the hotels website indicated DVD players in rooms, when we asked at reception we were told our room didn't have one, but that they would arrange for one to be delivered to the room.

The first evening group dinner was poorly staffed and the lamb was inedible. Also at breakfast the herding of group members to certain tables was an unnecessary action on the part of the hotel. It made us fell second rate dispite paying in excess of £170 per night. As we had the same breakfast offerings on the buffet (but not the menu) as other guests it all seemed a bit pointless. The breakfast buffet was very pleasant with a good range of fruit, yogurt, cereals, breads, pasties and a hot traditional english selection. The cream tea served in the Terrace Bar was very nice and reasonably priced, there are also fantastic views of the Fistral Beach.

The whole hotel gives the air of a pretty classy place, that is until you check out the bedding to find that they use plastic mattress protectors, on the underside of a towelling top. It appears the management think that poorly of their clientele, that they are happy to let you wake feeling clammy because basically, you are sleeping on a sheet of plastic. Do they really think that little of their guests comfort? The use of plastic mattress protectors is unacceptable in a 4 star hotel, unless the guests have requested same due to a particular medical problem. To put this into context, following our stay at this hotel, we motored on to the Ipswich North Premier Inn where even with their high turnover of guests, we found no sign of plastic mattress protectors and had a very comfortable night. If a budget hotel group can do it on under fifty pound a night, why should we have to endure it for over £170 a night?

While most of the staff were very helpful and smiling. There were one or two who seemed more like actors. They initially had all the superficial flounce and gob, but it was left to their colleagues carry out the tasks. However, the room cleaning staff were impressive. With the bathroom always nicely cleaned.

This is a nice hotel spoilt by a few silly things, the plastic mattress protector, the unnecessary herding of paying guests and the attitude of a few members of staff.

3  Thank Jayare14

I’d like to thank you for taking time to review The Headland so constructively and I was pleased to read how you found the décor and cleanliness very much up to standard.
The mattress protectors are in place to ensure the highest levels of hygiene are maintained regardless how any guest behaves! Our expensive, Hypnos mattresses need the protection but we are currently in the process of purchasing slightly more comfortable covers.

When a group is staying the organisers generally prefer that meals are taken together and I am sorry you feel “herded” with the others.

All your comments are much appreciated and have been discussed with the team and we will be delighted to welcome you back. Do personally contact me re your booking and we can assure you have a perfect stay.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Newquay itself is rather tired and a stag and hen retreat and if we hadn't stayed at the headland, we wouldn't have enjoyed the experience as much as we did. It's a fantastic Victorian building perched in an unbeatable location above Fingle beach with some great private nooks out front to park the complimentary deckchairs for a bird's eye view of the coast and beach.

Lovely old period features inside and Sam was a very welcoming receptionist. Breakfast was good if ordered fresh from the menu whilst the hot breakfast buffet was average.

I also had a massage and used the new spa facilities which were very good and high spec. No air con in the room but we had a great view of the sea at £125 a night. No kids about in the hotel which was great for us as we wanted peace and quiet. I would recommend the Highland for couples and older people who want some restful holidays in amazing surroundings.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. I appreciate your comments about the town of Newquay although I would like to point out that there is only a small part of the town where the stag and hen retreats you mention head for a night out. He rest of the town is a lovely fishing village and the areas that hold the night clubs are all in one place and easily avoidable for other tourists.
I would also like to address the point you made regarding the breakfast buffet, if you could kindly contact the hotel to clarify what aspect did not meet your expectations so we can look to make any relevant improvements.

The building is unique and very grand, we are so fortunate to be able to offer rooms in such a wonderful building.I hope that we will welcome you back to The Headland soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
St. Ives Harbour Hotel & Spa

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!