“Nice location- hotel average”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Headland hotel has a superb location overlooking Fistral bay with outdoor and indoor pools, a spa and a pitch and put course. Our room was on the third floor and was OK but considering the price I have stayed in better. What was annoying was that the desk and chair were placed immediately in front of the wardrobe so if a person was sat there the wardrobe could not be opened and there was no way through to the bathroom.
The breakfast was really nice and the service and variety of food was good.The hotel does seem to have a lot of functions weddings etc which I appreciate hotels do have to do. On the Monday of our stay the restaurant and the whole large lounge area were closed as there was a conference. This meant that guests staying in the hotel had to have breakfast inn the terrace area and obviously could not use the large lounge area, it did feel, like guests were being shunted around to make way for functions. Please also check your bill carefully. I checked mine and there were 2 items showing that we did not have. When this was queried I was told someone had left without giving room numbers so it seemed the cost was put on our bill ,the bill was altered immediately

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elaine s
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay although I’m sorry to read that your experience was not entirely positive and for this please accept our apologies. Our internal courtyard rooms are snug and cosy and these entry level rooms do represent extremely good value for money, however I would suggest perhaps that one of our fabulous Fistral or Ocean View rooms would better suit your future needs: I would be only too happy to assist you with your next booking and provide detailed room plans - please do contact me personally. Please also be assured that we do value the individual needs of all of our guests although it is inevitable that some groups and weddings do have an impact however, the Headland is a large hotel with an enormous amount of space on the ground floor where usually guests are able to find a quiet corner quite easily. Finally, with regard to the discrepancy with your bill, this is most unusual and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,743)

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Booked a few days break at the end of August and had a really relaxing time. Lovely room with a view over the Atlantic. Each day started with a splendid breakfast where you were not rushed to vacate your table for the next person, with plenty of food to suit all palates. All hotel staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel has plenty of space inside and out to stop unwind and relax. Will definitely be booking again for next year.
Best of all we were able to take the dog to enjoy our break with us.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 513Amanda789

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Our Headland Spa is the perfect place to rejuvenate and escape the rat race – perhaps next time you may wish to treat yourself to some well deserved ‘me-time’!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We just love it here. Have been many times and always come home refreshed, recharged and keen to go back. The cottages are better equipped than home; worthy of their 5 star rating. The hotel is an experience not to be missed. The staff are friendly and welcoming, the hotel is spacious and relaxing with fabulous views over the Atlantic Ocean from the main sitting area. They serve the best breakfast we've ever had - sets you up for the day. The indoor pool area with sauna, steam room and huge hot tub offer a wonderful way to unwind after a day walking or fighting the waves. I tried a Cornish massage in the newly built spa this summer which was divine - we watched it being built last October and are delighted with the finished product. Can't wait to see what new delights are on offer for our next visit!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Penny G

Well, we can’t wait to show you the delights on offer too! The final phase of the Spa is all but complete and includes a gorgeous luxury VIP couples suite, rhassoul mud room, hydrotherapy suite and relaxation lounge. The owners continue to reinvest in the Headland and are next looking to redesign the outdoor leisure area and facilities.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I booked for 1 night then changed for 2 then due to work I had to go back to one.... still with me?
there was an error on the price of the original booking, which I rang to rectify whilst amending booking- remember this it comes up again later!
I booked the cheapest room a courtyard and was kindly helped with our bags by Rory 5* guy- who had only just started there. I was extremely tired and wanted a good nights sleep , there was a fan noise so I asked to change rooms. This was room 033. This took at least 40 minutes to sort out, the next room 030 was great. so we unpacked and went down to the wellness center which is brilliant, loved it. My only comment to management would be to up the cleaning esp detailed cleaning. Go around and look behind doors when they are shut etc.
When we tried to book the dinning room, we were told it was full, so if you want to eat in there do so when booking.
Meanwhile back in the room- the on the wall 'hoover' style hairdryer could not cope with my long hair and i had to send for reinforcements, which quickly arrived - full marks.
Methinks i will have a cuppa , lovely variety of teas coffee etc but nooooo kettle would not work until I moved it to another socket!
We went to dinner in the terrace bistro . As we settled in then the wedding band tuned up - what a row! I thought here comes that migraine, but luckily they stopped.
Food was delicious, no problem with my gluten free food and they had gf bread.
Couple things were not quite right no steak knife or mustard until asked for. But overall great.
up to bed , bit concerned about the wedding noise but as it is a grand old building not a problem, good nights sleep.
Lovely breakfast, spot on.
tried to check out in a hurry as going to World belly board championships, the error had not been put right (see earlier) then my card played up not taking refund so to cut a long story short made us late!
summary-- lovely hotel, great food, but felt a little confused old new bits of building, standards not consistent across the staff but will go back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank surfercazzie
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post the good, and not so good, comments which we value as an indication of what is needed to improve the level of service offered to our guests. Rory was especially pleased to see you singled him out for praise! The issues you have raised here have been passed to the relevant departments for review. With specific reference to the Spa, I would like to welcome you back now that the Gym is installed and the builders (almost) gone.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Just had a lovely holiday at the headland's ,august bank holiday week, its the third time we've stayed in the cottages,they are clean comfortable and have everything you need, it feel's so good to sink into the cosy crisp bed's after a full day's surfing.
The charm and lovely relaxing atmosphere of the hotel;s lounge area's is perfect, so much nicer than modern decor, all the staff were helpfull and polite. Just can't wait for our next visit, as our twelve year grandaughter said it's just like home.
M A.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We’re delighted you and your family had such a lovely time and look forward to welcoming you back to your ‘home from home’ very soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at The Headland for a 2 night DBB break. We had stayed before a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised at the improvements made to the hotel.The Spa in particular is a relaxing and excellent addition to the hotel facilities and the Terrace is a great place to spend a couple of hours enjoying the sunset. Because we were late in booking we were given a side view classic room which was comfortable enough and had a partial sea view. The food was exceptional, with a varied menu including a number of fresh fish dishes served in a spacious dining room overlooking the sea.

For me the two outstanding things that made our stay so enjoyable were the friendly staff and the fantastic views. As a regular business traveler it makes such a pleasant difference to stay at a hotel which isn't part of a large chain. We would certainly go again, and perhaps try out the cottages next time.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tony A

We’re delighted you enjoyed our new Spa at The Headland. It has been very exciting to see the development of this area which now also incorporates a state of the art gym. The owners continue to reinvest in response to guests’ feedback and are pleased to see that your review included so many positive comments. Thank you!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We spent 2 nights here for our wedding anniversary!

On arrival we were checked in efficiently and shown to our room, our room was nice, clean,spacious and had a great view!
We didn't eat in the restaurant so we can't comment on the food but the breakfast was amazing with plenty of choice.
We did have treatments in the spa, and they were fantastic my therapist Rachel was very professional and attentive! I am a beauty therapist myself so I am probably more critical than most but I couldn't criticise anything.
On the morning of our wedding anniversary the hotel had sent us a card which was a lovely personal touch.
All the staff were very polite, I have no idea why some reviews are critical of staff!!
My only slight negative is that I would say it was a teeny bit pricey but we had a great time!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank miranda016

We’re so pleased you chose to stay at The Headland to celebrate your very special wedding anniversary. We look forward to welcoming you back and to enjoy more of our fabulous Spa treatments. For the ultimate in pampering, we have a special VIP suite for couples offering luxurious massage treatments and a chill out area which will be perfect for your return visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!