“Best hotel we've ever stayed in”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
“Best hotel we've ever stayed in”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We just wanted to say what a wonderful time we had when we stayed at the Headland.
We were warmly welcomed, offered a tour of the hotel and made to feel at
ease immediately. The hotel in itself is absolutely amazing, matching
the idyllic location and breathtaking scenery.
All the staff were fabulous and courteous at all times and nothing was
too much trouble.
We also had a treatment at the spa facility (never done this before!)
as a birthday treat, and the two ladies were fantastic, they explained
everything in detail and made the whole experience wonderful. The food was absolutely perfect too!
I would, and have, highly recommended the hotel to all of my friends
and look forward to visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Ras090973
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post your comments. I’ve passed your feedback onto our Spa therapists who were delighted. I’m so pleased you had such an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed in Huers 5, which is well equipped. Unfortunately the gym was not ready and half of the outside area is also still a building site. The spa just opened and only offers some water in plastic cups, no other drinks. The Terrace restaurant has really good food but the place (chairs, tables) was always dirty.
No dry-cleaning service offered ("you have to go to Newquay yourself")

Room Tip: Huers 5 just offers Sea view from the main room, and the balcony is really small. No deck chairs.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Margit L
After some unanticipated and unavoidable delays, we’re all celebrating the opening of the new gym this week and by mid October will see the completion the entire Spa area. I’m so sorry that your visit pre-empted our opening and sincerely hope that you will return and experience the facilities in full in the near future. Our onsite laundry is available to all our guests and although we are unable to offer professional dry-cleaning facilities within the hotel itself we have an arrangement with a local dry cleaner and offer a collection / delivery service. I’m sorry to read your observation regarding The Terrace - could you possibly provide supportive evidence as this is entirely unacceptable and by no means our normal standards of service.
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Me and my partner have stayed in Newquay several times and have always stayed in b&b's this time we made a booking at the headland hotel as after watching the movie witches that was recorded there years ago I was very curious what it was like there, we arrived and felt like we was looked down by other people and staff, our room was like staying in a basement it was dark and gloomy and our view was a brick wall, now after paying £119 for 1 night I expected more as always paying £60 a night and getting more for my money from b&b's I was looking forward to getting a high quality service and room, I was so disappointed with my room it was very claustrophobic! We put up with it and tried to get on with our day, that evening we went down to the lobby and people were very rude thinking they were better than me!!! The breakfast was ok, yes the was a lot of choice but the cooked breakfast was cold, I will never return here I can stay at a B&B for £60 and get treated a lot better and get a room with a view, it ruined my time there and made me feel very depressed!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
9 Thank Tracey A
It is regrettable that your booking didn’t meet your expectation and for that I apologise. Our Reservations team are extremely knowledgeable and focused on matching guest’s exact requirements with the various grades of room available. Please do contact me for any future reservation enquiries. Our website provides extensive details of the rooms available from the entry level, best value Courtyard rooms through to Best rooms with four poster beds and private balconies. You may also like to take advantage of our offers such as the current ‘3 for 2’ autumn special.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Myself and my husband stayed at the Headland hotel in 2005 & 2006 before we had children and enjoyed both stays. The hotel was not an option really when we had the children so this year when the Headland sent me an e mail I started looking at the cottages and we booked one for August. On arrival reception were helpful and the hotel was still as fantastic as it always was. We were very impressed with the cottage it was beautiful and the location overlooking fistral beach was just amazing. One of the porters helped us with our luggage and showed us around and how things worked. It was great that you could ring up to the hotel if you needed anything, they even sent us a nappy bucket when we requested one. We settled in straight away and it felt home from home. We were lucky the weather was good and we spent time on the beach and the outdoor swimming pool. The beach is a very short walk and the facilities are excellent, the shops are a bonus too. The outdoor swimming pool is nice and my husband and eldest son used the indoor pool and they said that was lovely. We did not use the restaurants in the hotel because of my 15mth old son so I can not comment on that. I used the spa and had a back massage again this was a real treat and it was great again the staff were very helpful and friendly. We also thought the maid service was great, a bonus to the self catering!
There were only a couple of issues we had, we stayed in Seaspray 5 and some of the guests were using a walled area as a walkway which ended right in front of our lounge window! Also there was no warning that a window cleaner came round which was also a bit of a shock!
We would definitely return my eldest son said this was one of the best holidays he had been on and wanted to return. My only wish was that it was more reasonably priced during the high season we changed our booking to later in the month so it was a more reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anna S
I’m delighted that you returned to The Headland after a lengthy absence and that we lived up to expectations! It’s lovely to pass onto the next generation cherished holiday memories and I’m pleased your stay ranked as “best ever”! The owners have made a significant financial investment in the hotel in recent years and we are proud of our new facilities, especially the new Headland Spa and Gym, and our amazing staff. Your comments mean a lot to us and have been passed on to our team. Thank you!
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Headland hotel has a superb location overlooking Fistral bay with outdoor and indoor pools, a spa and a pitch and put course. Our room was on the third floor and was OK but considering the price I have stayed in better. What was annoying was that the desk and chair were placed immediately in front of the wardrobe so if a person was sat there the wardrobe could not be opened and there was no way through to the bathroom.
The breakfast was really nice and the service and variety of food was good.The hotel does seem to have a lot of functions weddings etc which I appreciate hotels do have to do. On the Monday of our stay the restaurant and the whole large lounge area were closed as there was a conference. This meant that guests staying in the hotel had to have breakfast inn the terrace area and obviously could not use the large lounge area, it did feel, like guests were being shunted around to make way for functions. Please also check your bill carefully. I checked mine and there were 2 items showing that we did not have. When this was queried I was told someone had left without giving room numbers so it seemed the cost was put on our bill ,the bill was altered immediately

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elaine s
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay although I’m sorry to read that your experience was not entirely positive and for this please accept our apologies. Our internal courtyard rooms are snug and cosy and these entry level rooms do represent extremely good value for money, however I would suggest perhaps that one of our fabulous Fistral or Ocean View rooms would better suit your future needs: I would be only too happy to assist you with your next booking and provide detailed room plans - please do contact me personally. Please also be assured that we do value the individual needs of all of our guests although it is inevitable that some groups and weddings do have an impact however, the Headland is a large hotel with an enormous amount of space on the ground floor where usually guests are able to find a quiet corner quite easily. Finally, with regard to the discrepancy with your bill, this is most unusual and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Booked a few days break at the end of August and had a really relaxing time. Lovely room with a view over the Atlantic. Each day started with a splendid breakfast where you were not rushed to vacate your table for the next person, with plenty of food to suit all palates. All hotel staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel has plenty of space inside and out to stop unwind and relax. Will definitely be booking again for next year.
Best of all we were able to take the dog to enjoy our break with us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 513Amanda789
We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Our Headland Spa is the perfect place to rejuvenate and escape the rat race – perhaps next time you may wish to treat yourself to some well deserved ‘me-time’!
Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We just love it here. Have been many times and always come home refreshed, recharged and keen to go back. The cottages are better equipped than home; worthy of their 5 star rating. The hotel is an experience not to be missed. The staff are friendly and welcoming, the hotel is spacious and relaxing with fabulous views over the Atlantic Ocean from the main sitting area. They serve the best breakfast we've ever had - sets you up for the day. The indoor pool area with sauna, steam room and huge hot tub offer a wonderful way to unwind after a day walking or fighting the waves. I tried a Cornish massage in the newly built spa this summer which was divine - we watched it being built last October and are delighted with the finished product. Can't wait to see what new delights are on offer for our next visit!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Penny G
Well, we can’t wait to show you the delights on offer too! The final phase of the Spa is all but complete and includes a gorgeous luxury VIP couples suite, rhassoul mud room, hydrotherapy suite and relaxation lounge. The owners continue to reinvest in the Headland and are next looking to redesign the outdoor leisure area and facilities.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,502 reviews

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!