“Our two centre retirement treat - a fantastic time.”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife,dog and I splashed out to have a 'best room' for 3 days to celebrate my retirement from the Police Service, we then spent a further 4 days in a 3 bedroom cottage where my extended family joined us

Note -We have stayed at the Headland and cottages 27 times now.

The hotel experience - It was excellent,we simply love the hotel and to be able to stay in the hotels best room was a real treat.

Check in was quick and efficient but we were surprised reception did not know we were regular visitors to the hotel- surely some record can be put on the system.On other previous occasions we have been welcomed back and even greeted by the Armstrong family.

We were shown to our best room (210) and everything was explained to us including the free wifi which appears to be better than on previous visits.The hotel are due for superfast broadband in 2014.

The room was superb,with awesome views of a very swollen sea,accentuated with the gathering storm.

The room was actually a suite with a separate bedroom and lounge area.It was very well laid out and really did give a sense of space and luxury.

As usual the specifications are top notch, although the water pressure for our shower was poor but it did not detract from anything.

The St Jude storm actually blew open our patio door whilst we were out and damaged a lamp.This was quickly dealt with by reception and maintenance without fuss - the apology card and chocolates were a nice touch.

We ate several times at the hotel mainly having the terrace menu in the bar area so our dog could be with us.

The food is very good,as usual our treat of crab sandwiches were delicious.The steak I had was absolutely superb.

There is an issue with some staff who don't seem to think through what the customer wants.I think it is lack of experience as opposed to a lack of desire.For example,cutlery not presented with a meal and having to be asked for,ditto for condiments.

I only recognised a few staff members from previous visits.The new staff are quite young.

Occassionally items were missed off our order - not a big issue for us,but it does need addressing for a hotel of this standard.The same issues were also experienced whilst having breakfast - the table not properly laid for example. It will annoy some people.

Breakfast itself is a self service affair or ordered items from the menu.The eggs benedict were particularly good and all ingredients are good quality.

Bar service was very good even when busy and we enjoyed a couple of nice cocktails.

We were kindly given a complimentary afternoon tea as we have stayed at the hotel so many times.

The hotel should be encouraged to 'reward' multi returning guests - the gesture is immense for minimal cost.

The cottages - Following three fabulous nights in the hotel,we moved to Tide 1 a three bedroom cottage.Other members of our group arrived and were in Huers 9 another 3 bedroom cottage and Waterside 1 a one becroom cottage.

Fortunately the hotel arranged for a porter to help us move from the hotel to the cottage.It looked like we had packed for a month!

The cottages are still as good as when they were first built.They are 5 star standard,no doubt about that.

Housekeeping standards are also top notch- the head housekeeper runs a very efficient and tight ship.

We enjoyed the freedom of the cottages and spent time socialising with the family.

We even had a curry delivered to the cottages.Green Chilli in Newquay can hold its own against some of the best ones we are used to in and around Birmingham.

I had arranged for a family meal in the restaurant - a table for 13. We had the table d'hote- I thought it was excellent value at £34 for 3 courses. The stand out dishes were scallops and pork belly starters and mains - the wood pigeon and the cod with risotto.

We had several bottles of reasonably priced wine which were very nice.

Our waitress for evening was Regan - a bubbly young lady who was attentive and engaging.

She was expertly overseen by Nicola.

My wife and sister used the new Spa area and both agreed it was fantastic.They really have made a fantastic job of it and when the outside area is completed it will have been very sympathetically done.

In summary,another wonderful stay at our favourite hotel.The small niggles will not stop us from staying again and again and again.

This review is dedicated to the memory of Norman Minifie- he would have loved it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank stevenc4874
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

It is always a pleasure to see you and after 27 visits it’s like welcoming you back home! We do feel that you are part of our extended family and look forward to your next visit. I appreciate your positive comments and also your ‘small niggles’ which can only help us to improve upon the overall experience we give to our guests.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Went as part of a large party for a dance weekend. Great location and a reasonable hotel but there were a few issues. Firstly we paid quite a bit more for what is described as a coastal view suite on the hotels website. "Coastal view" is very misleading, yes you could if you stood in the window and looked far to the left just about see the coast but for all intents and purposes our view was the drive into the hotel, the main hotel car park and the ugly modern building at the top of the drive. We complained and were moved (at additional cost) to a "Splendid" room which had a four poster and a great sea view. Others in our party were also disappointed by allocated rooms and several moved rooms. Avoid staying in the courtyard rooms unless you like looking at walls and drain pipes out of your window. Take care when booking that a coastal view is as described because a more honest description is car park view.
The food quality was good but the staff although generally polite were woefully inadequately trained. They had no idea. On a couple of occasions my wife had a waiter lean across her plate whilst she was eating to place items on the table. There was no excuse me nor apology.
On the second night our table had a number of problems with service where the staff could not seem to bring vegetables and other "trimmings" to the table with the main course and we had to ask several times for more veg to go with our plate of meat. We asked for more gravy as there was insufficient but it never arrived. One member of staff was heard to whisper under her breathe when clearing the table, presumably because we had had the temerity to expect a decent level of service. One member of our table complained to the restaurant manager who promised to speak to him later to discuss the problem. Needless to say this did not happen and our friend had to find him the next day and after a stand up argument in the reception area eventually managed to have the price of his meal taken off his bill.
Service at breakfast on both days was slow and on the second day non-existent. When one waitress was asked to take an order for non buffet items she said she would fetch a pad to write the order and would be right back and was never seen again. Why as a waitress she never had a pad in the first place was a mystery and why she never came back we did not discover. In order to get served one member of our party eventually got up and commandeered a manager from another part of the dining room.
My wife and I ordered the same breakfast dish and after a long wait my wife's was brought out. I asked where mine was and the waitress seemed surprised that I had ordered anything. I then had to wait 15 minutes before I got my order. It was lovely food though.
Room service was also lacking. We ordered two items and only one turned up.
Service in the bar was pretty good and there was no excessive waiting
It was a shame, the hotel could be great but the staff let it down and it seems to be from the top down. The queue when checking out was long and the wait unacceptable, there should be some way of checking your bill before standing at the counter.

Room Tip: Avoid courtyard rooms and try and get a guarantee of your view. Stay in the Splendid rooms or better...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank gmrcardiff

Your comments are important to us as we use them to evaluate our customer service and the ongoing professional development of our staff. What you describe is certainly not typical and accordingly will be investigated further. We encourage guest feedback, whether positive or otherwise, and would hope that anything with which our guests are not entirely satisfied can be remedied as soon as it is brought to our attention. You refer to a lack of clarity regarding room descriptions: our website and brochures both contain detailed accounts of each of the six room categories available and I would also recommend speaking directly to our team of reservationists who can provide indepth descriptions of each and help you with your specific personal preferences.Please do contact me if I can help you further.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at the Headland whilst attending a friend's wedding. The location on the headland over looking Fistral beach was incredible particularly so as we were there for the St Jude storm and the waves were monstrous!
We booked through Hotel.com and got a slightly cheaper price than the hotel website was offering. We chose the cheapest room available which was an internal room with windows facing onto an internal light well which gave the illusion of an external room without a view.
The hotel was purpose built over one hundred years ago and has lots of great features including real fires in public areas and a beautiful ball room where the restaurant is located overlooking the sea. There has also been a program of refurbishment in last couple of years.
On arrival we were greeted at reception and then given a tour of the hotel before being shown to our room. The room was a decent size with a bathroom with a proper bath. There was plentiful tea, coffee and biscuits in the room and posh bottled water. There were also robes which were great for the spa. There was wifi but it was a little patchy although this was explained in the in-room reading material. The stuff on the history of the hotel was fascinating and well worth a read.
We used the swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room within the spa which were all great although we didn't have the time/money to use any of the treatments.
One great feature of the hotel is that it allows "well behaved owners and their dogs" to use the hotel. This meant that often there were some gorgeous dogs wandering round the public areas.
The hotel is a short walk from Newquay town centre and the associated bars and restaurants and minutes from the Fistral Beach complex. We had a drink in the Terrace bar in the hotel, which overlooks Fistral Beach, from the warmth of the conservatory. There is also an external terrace with plentiful chairs/tables which is around the rear of the hotel and offers great views out to sea though it is more suited to warmer times of the year.
Breakfast was served in the main restaurant with fantastic views out to sea and some impressive sound proofing given the gales outside. Breakfast was varied, vast and delicious with a full cornish breakfast, eggs benedict, smoked salmon etc available as well as the usual toast/pastries/fruit/meats and cheeses.
Every member of staff we came into contact with was friendly and professional with a special mention for Sarah who checked us in. The set up and execution of the wedding event was excellent and it was a fantastic and memorable venue. All in all this is a fabulous hotel and i wouldn't hesitate to stay again however it is on the pricey side so is not a cheap option. Worth saving up for though!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bettyboo1805

I’m delighted you had such an enjoyable stay and that we all survived the great storm intact! It was a pleasure to welcome you and the entire wedding party and I thank you for posting your positive comments. I look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps you may be tempted by one of our special Storm Watching offers!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Headland is a hotel popular with families and couples alike.
We stayed here on one of their offers which reduced the price of the dinner, bed and breakfast rate by nearly half for a two night stay. I do not think we would have paid the full rate.
We ate in the restaurant on the first night but ate out on the second. The restaurant food was good and the wine list comprehensive but the service did not match up to our fairly high expectations. For example, there was quite a wait for our order to be taken having declined the offer of pre-dinner drinks and slightly more seriously, our choice of white was initially served warm. All credit goes to the MD who replaced it with one that was chilled.
Book an ocean view room for the best views over Fistral Beach and bay.
The hotel has been through a major upgrade which is continuing outside but should be finished next year.
A major facility is the pool and spa which we did not try - on another stay perhaps.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael-Newbury

We’re celebrating the imminent completion of the development and are delighted that the Headland Spa is already establishing itself as a premier Spa destination. Special Spa offers and promotions are frequently posted on our website, along with our various seasonal promotions for the hotel and cottages.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed three nights on business. The staff were excellent, very friendly and polite and could not do enough for us. I felt for the staff in the bar/terrace though as I think they were a little understaffed and under pressure. It took too long to be served etc and I think a few customers were getting a little disgruntled. The breakfast was very good (although a 0730 start was a little late for me) The location by the beach is excellent for views and walks but too far to walk out into town on a wet evening!
The rooms were OK and I suppose you get what you pay for - single beds were a little small for me and the room very small and would not suit someone with claustrophobia! but if you do not intend to be in there long then they are fine. The ambience of the hotel was good - grand in fact, and I would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank FairGB

On behalf of the staff, I thank you for the positive feedback posted here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Headland and perhaps it may be beneficial to speak with our reservations team regarding your future room requirements. As part of our commitment to customer service, they are highly skilled in matching guests’ personal preferences and needs with the variety of rooms available. We offer six categories of room in the hotel where the view, size and sumptuousness dictates which category a room fits into. You may also want to consider our award winning 5 star cottages which are extremely spacious and consistently receive superlative reviews.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed during October half term and overall had a fantastic time. The room (103) was lovely (although the mirror could have been one of those that don't steam up and the bath could have been jacuzzi ). Wallpaper was peeling under the curtain pelmet and there was a definite damp issue in the right ceiling corner but apart from that was v happy

The only issue we had was service. The initial check in was really good and we were given a brief tour of the hotel by the receptionist. Meal time service was patchy though. Once order was taken, it was fine but the time to take the order was at best 30 minutes. I understand that the staff were under pressure due to shortages and in the circumstances did really well but if we were less tolerant it could have been very irritating. One day we returned to the hotel to find our room hadn't been serviced. When I rang reception, I was told in no uncertain terms that "housekeeping are very busy". I'm sure but we had been away for four hours and a hint of an apology would have been nice. Individuals are great and doing their absolute best but perhaps the overall impression needs to be looked at.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mad0ldbat

Your comments are much appreciated and have been forwarded to the relevant departments for investigation as they do not represent the normal high service standards associated with the Headland. With reference to your room, our rolling refurbishment programme will ensure these issues are addressed imminently.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was my 11th stay at the Headland but our 2nd in the last year. I still believe that this is the only place to stay in Newquay and it has a charm that cannot be found anywhere else. However, for the prices that they are charging, I do feel that the Headland need to up their game somewhat.

We were checked in by a lovely receptionist who was friendly and had only been on the job 3 days. She took the time to show us the brand new spa area and gym before taking us to our room. We had booked through hotels.com as their rates were more competitive than the hotel's website and they run a loyalty scheme which meant we favoured them. It also meant we had the same room as last year! The room is probably smaller than you'd get through booking with the hotel directly but was extremely comfortable, clean, warm and cosy. the shower was excellent and the under floor heating in the bathroom, a luxury.

Breakfast was excellent. Good choice and amount of food to accommodate the guests staying in the hotel. Service here was usually pretty good but certainly friendly. In fact I would say that the friendliness of the staff was an improvement on last year...we had one snooty barman last year but thankfully he seemed to have moved on. All staff were friendly and smiley- it costs nothing but makes a huge difference.

We ate in The Terrace restaurant 3 times during our 3 night stay. Twice for dinner and once for lunch. On all three occasions the meal first served to us was wrong. Meal 1, a chicken burger rather than a beefburger arrived. We sent it back.. Meal 2, I was offered wholegrain or white bread for my sandwich; I ordered wholegrain and got white (what was the point is asking me then?!), I ate it anyway as I was hungry. And meal 3, I was served someone else's meal entirely! This was put right immediately. The staff are getting by because they are apologetic and friendly. However it did appear that the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing. When we ordered some drinks (a beer and a tea) we waited ages then they turned up about 10 minutes apart because they "are from different departments". Sorry Headland but when you are charging those prices, this isn't good enough. My Cajun chicken burger was not worth £11. No salad in the burger? Some lettuce on the side and some chips...nice though it was, it was just that and I felt it was all a bit of a con. I had a Super Salad the first night dubbed "all of your 5 a day in one"- I only counted 4 vegetables and where were the tomatoes?! £12 for a bowl of lettuce, a bit of cucumber, a walnut (is this a vegetable?!) and an odd radish with a rather mean ration of smoked salmon. All served rather haphazardly and don't even get me started on the £5.50 brownie (small square of chocolate sponge cake- not a brownie - with a dollop of clotted cream)... The whole lot left me feeling like we had been ripped off and was not value for money.

The pool area is lovely and though we did not use the spa treatments or gym, we might have done had we been staying longer. The only thing I would add is that the pool heating needs to be turned right up. Fair enough in the summer but the pool was cold and did not encourage you to stay in for long...if you eventually got in that is.

Having said all this...will we stay here again? Yes probably but unless The Terrace smartens up its act and/or brings down it's prices, we won't be eating there again. Heat your pool up and sort it out Headland!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelbug603

Thank you for a fair and constructive posting: I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and that you will return to visit us again. Our Spa is already receiving excellent reviews and, with only the last finishing touches remaining, I look forward to showing you around in its entirety on your next stay. Do contact me personally when you are returning and I will be delighted to personally welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!