“Blissfull weekend”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Reading, England
“Blissfull weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have just had a simply lovely long weekend at one of the Headland Cottages. I took my partner there for his first visit and was a little anxious that he would love the place as much as I do. I needn't have worried, everything was perfect.
The staff are still very helpful and the hotel is still relaxed. The cottages are absolutely wonderful.

The best bit was the new Spa which we did not get around to exploring until the last evening - what a mistake. Oh, my. We set our alarm for early so we could check out early and spend as much time as possible in the gym, pool, steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi.

Planning my next trip already...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you Caroline for taking the time to write a review on this forum, it is a pleasure to read that you both enjoyed your stay in your chosen cottage. Although The Headland Hotel can seem a little grand and perhaps daunting as a first impression, as you discovered it really is very welcoming and homely in every respect, especially if you cosy down around one of three open log fires!
Our spa and gym is the latest addition to The Headland and has been very well received especially during these winter months. As you discovered, it is truly luxurious and finished to a very high spec indeed.We believe we have the best spa for many miles around and can’t wait to demonstrate this to our many regular and loyal followers.
Best wishes for the coming year and hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you once again in 2014.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Greek first
Hull, East Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We a fantastic time we had in November staying in cottage Beach1. We were invited by our brother and sister in law to celebrate their birthdays with our nieces and their children . The cottages were fantastic which were fully equipped to a very high standard and decorated and styled to be comfortable and inviting. Our cottage slept 4 with each having our own bathroom, our nieces were staying in another cottage which accommodated 6 with 3 bedrooms. Views from our cottage were fabulous as it was on the cliff edge. The hotel it self offered all amenities you could require with a spa and swimming pool . The hotel offers amazing menus and the service from all the staff can not be better, staff welcome and smile when you enter this hotel and when you leave making you feel a valued guest. We spent a lovely afternoon in the conservatory having a fabulous crab sandwich and a cream tea looking out to sea, this was followed by drinks in the bar by a real fire , a large G&T before retiring back to the cottage for a disco nap before dinner, shyer bliss. Would we return? Definitely, this is well worth the long drive from Hull East Yorkshire. Thank Headlands for a fabulous rest and celebration , even the weather stayed lovely for us what more could we ask for?

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Well, what can I say that you haven’t already said! Thank you for such a glowing review, and what a pleasure it was to read on a fairly dark December morning! We are particularly proud of our Cottage Village not least because it earned us a double ‘gold’ during 2013.Following a routine inspection it continues to be rated as ‘five star gold’ by Visit England, additionally we were also awarded ‘Gold ‘in the autumn following the ‘Cornwall Tourism Awards’ under the self- catering category.
It sounds as though you had a lovely stay and celebration with your family, it is fantastic to know that our team looked after you all as you would have hoped, and additionally our food and service was delivered to a high standard.
May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a peaceful Christmas and happy New Year, I hope that you will return to see us once again in the not too distant future.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just back from a two night stay. Rooms were gorgeous, amazing views and the food delicious! All the staff were fabulous. Would definitely go back. I would bring my dog next time as I have never stayed at such a welcoming dog friendly hotel!

• Stayed November 2013
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience of The Headland. We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful location and setting, truly world class in many respects. I am sure the family dog will enjoy such a visit, and if so will be in good company! Just to let you know, the huge sandy expanse of Fistral Beach just below us is dog friendly all year round, which is not consistent across Cornwall.
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

You are never quite sure what you are going to get when booking a hotel for the first time. We should not have been concerned. The hotel combines old fashioned class and service with modern facilities. It is not really fair to single out any individual apsect but I would say that dinner in the restaurant was superb. A five star rating is well deserved.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to post this review following your recent visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed the old fashioned values and charm that often guests who visit The Headland comment upon. I will certainly ensure that the kitchen brigade is made aware of your very positive dining experience, please accept my best wishes for the forthcoming New Year.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Afternoon Tea here is good value at £30 for two. All of the edible components of the experience are in place; finger sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, cakes and tea. They are all of good quality.
What is missing, to a degree, is ambience. Part of the appeal of this little indulgence is the attentiveness of the staff. This is slightly missing here. Service is good, but not special.
Having said that, the meal is taken in a very pleasant room overlooking the beach. It is well worth taking tea here, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VixMiff
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to visit The Headland for one of our traditional and delicious full afternoon Cornish teas. With such a beautiful location and perched up above the world famous Fistral Beach, we are popular choice year for our tea service year round, and not just for special occasions. It would seem that you chose our more contemporary Terrace Restaurant to enjoy your tea, however if you return to The Headland, you may prefer the setting of The Ballroom or Front Lounge. These areas have breath-taking Atlantic Ocean views from all windows alternatively of course if the weather is kind, our seaward elevation has a virtually wrap-around Veranda, complete with glass screen to keep the fresh sea air at bay. May I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy and relaxing Christmas
PLYMOUTH DEVON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and have just returned from a short break at this superb hotel. It is said first impressions count and our case it did .Our first contact was with a lovely blonde receptionist whose name ,if I remember correctly was Christin,I apologies to her if that's not strictly correct. I asked if it was possible to upgrade my booking ,at my expense
certainly she said and after checking which rooms were available we went a a whistle stop tour of the hotel to view many rooms that were available .All were very nice but she then took me to Room 330 which frankly took my breath away It is a dual aspect room with one aspect looking directly in line with Fistral Beach.in fact you can sit in the large double ended bath and look at the beach while you bathe
The bathroom is very large with bath very very big walk in shower and dual wash basins
The main room has a four poster bed and settee ,tables and chairs
The room has ,and it's a first I have seen ,a separate heating temperature control panel so you can adjust the heat you want. It is an extremely friendly hotel where ever you go staff say hello and nothing is to much trouble for them
Food where ever you eat in the hotel is excellent. Cooked breakfast is a must as the choice is extensive and is not swimming in fat All other options are available
Unfortunately my wife did not feel well on our second day but one call to Reception and a appointment was made to see a local doctor
When we came back to the hotel the Receptionist was concerned and arranged for a meal to be sent to our room as my wife was unable to go to our prearranged dinner
Contact was made to our room throughout the evening to ensure we were OK
The next day we had to cut short our break due to my wife's illness and all help was given to us to allow us an easy departure I must add all thanks to the lovely lady porter who went to great trouble to to make my wife comfortable
I am aware this is a long review but I wanted to put on record the helpfulness of all the staff at the hotel and disprove some of the negatives posted by a few
We shall CERTAINLY be returning again in the future as it is a superb hotel with top class helpful and friendly staff
Many thanks to everyone at the hotel

Eddie 40858

• Stayed December 2013
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
I was thrilled to read how delighted you were with the hotel. Room 330 is certainly superb and was described by a well know TV breakfast presenter as “the best room he had ever stayed in” and I am glad you both enjoyed despite your wife being poorly. I am very proud of our team of loyal staff and both Christin and Sarah (the lady porter) were delighted to read your kind words. I very much look forward to welcoming you both back again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I've stayed with the Headland Hotel twice now and I can honestly say it's turning out to be a favourite. I stayed at the cottages both times but we were able to use the spa and swimming facilities at the hotel, The hotel itself is stunning, full of rich décor. It was so quiet at the spa in the evenings which was perfect to relax, I loved the Cornish Salt room. The cottages were clean and everything you could imagine is provided, we were worried about cooking but you have a toaster, oven, dishes, a dishwasher. It's perfectly equipped. The staff are always nice and helpful. Plus the views are amazing, even in November! The hotel completes my trip to Newquay each time.

Room Tip: If you stay in the cottages in November, you will get a great deal as it's off peak but the beac...