“Great great hotel”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We came for a four night break with our two dogs in November and couldnt be faulted. Room excellent (we chose an internal room with no view but not in it much and facilities were excellent), food fantastic and service marvellous. Only comment is that drinks very expensive but to be expected in a hotel of this standard I suppose and driveway could be lit up at night as very very dark when walking into town

Room Tip: Internal room more than adequate and much better value
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for reviewing The Headland, I know it's not easy to find dog friendly accommodation in such a wonderful location. If you stay with us again I would recommend speaking to our Reservations Team to find the best room for you. I hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a lovely hotel and is dog freindly, great as a dog owner like myself, the staff are great and the hotel is very nicely decorated and goes back to the glory days of great victorian hotels.
The location is stunning and the food was good, we stayed in a budget room wich was adequate for our needs overall worth a vsit.

Room Tip: The budget rooms are much smaller but are still satisfactory the larger rooms look splendid but come...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JonahA71
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review The Headland. It is lovely to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our wonderful views. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at the headlands with our 6 year old daughter along with our two dogs for their Christmas package. We enjoyed many parts of our stay however some things we found quite misleading.

The good things:
The spa is excellent. You can tell a lot of money has been spent refurbishing this area. Myself and my husband both had a treatment and really enjoyed it. I had a lovely girl called Vicky (blonde hair) who was also very professional.
Very dog friendly, it's obvious that the location is stunning with some great walks for the dogs. Some nice little touches in the rooms for the dogs too but at £15 per dog per night this is kind of expected!
Other touches to do with the Xmas package such as a good quality present for the children (and adults) was very much appreciated.
Breakfast was lovely, a very good selection of foods for all tastes and the items from the menu were particularly good (eggs Benedict/florentine were delicious).
The room was nice, it is worth paying more for a nice view.
Most of the staff were very polite and helpful, some stood put more than others sorry I can't remember names!
The games room the for children was very good and kept our 6 year old entertained. The face painter on Boxing Day was amazing, the best I have ever seen.

The not so good:
The package on the website clearly stated on Christmas Eve that a 'special afternoon tea' was included from 3pm. This special tea actually consisted of a piece of christmas cake and a cup of tea/coffee! Last time I checked afternoon tea included scones, finger sandwiches, little cakes etc... After complaining/checking (and I think the man who delt with us, Luke was embarrassed that the afternoon tea wasn't so special) we were sent some cheese sandwiches and a glass of fizz each to apologise. I wouldn't have minded I just don't like something sounding great only to not get what you are promised.
Also on Christmas Eve a champagne reception with canapés started the evening... The champagne was nice but I couldn't find a canapé.... Maybe hiding with the afternoon tea?
We enjoyed our evening meals in the restaurant, Christmas Day was particularly nice. The service was good however quite mismatched (and I appreciate it was very busy) but I spotted a family of 4 wait so long for their food, whilst many people who were dining later got their food quicker. This happened to us the night before and is particularly frustrating if you have small children.
Also watch out for the menu, which may state seasonal vegetables and potatoes are included, only to not recieve any. We got some after asking though, but we were made to feel like we shouldn't. Again, I wouldn't have minded but don't write it on the menu if it's not included! Maybe it's because I work in the hospitality trade too that I notice these things...
Make sure you look over your bill carefully when checking out, we had a £5 charge for something we didn't recognised, which was apparently for the risotto I had the night before (no supplement was stated on the menu the night before and for a vegetarian risotto is really shouldn't be £5 extra!)

All in all, a good stay but small details missing.

Also a tip maybe to consider for the future.... Being vegetarian (I know it can be annoying) the menu especially in hotels can be very restrictive (risotto two days in a row) usually one main corse choice. Having a vegetarian menu to pre order from at the start of your stay is something I've had in other hotels and I feel it works very well. The dishes can then be prepared in advance so chef know how many of each to make so everyone's happy :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 185Emma185
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Lovely room, fantastic view ,stunning location, amazing staff all so helpful,
We were shown around before being taken to our room not just sent there, the spa looked so inviting a pity we didnt have time to use it.

Room Tip: sea view is to die for.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Headland. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully if you do come and stay with us again you will be able to book some 'me' time in our wonderful new Spa.

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and I came here for a one night stay for a weekend away. The welcome was friendly and polite and the staff were keen to do anything they could to help.

The room was comfortable if a little on the small side however there was a full shower AND bath in the bathroom.

Facilities were very good with access to the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna included in the stay (and chargeable spa treatments available).

Evening meal and breakfast were both good quality and a fairly reasonable price (breakfast was included - evening meal £25 for 2 mains). The choice at breakfast was also good with cooked, cereal, toast, continental and fruit options available.

All in, a pleasant stay and we would definitely consider returning.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of The Headland following your recent stay with us. I am glad that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and taking the time to post this review, I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I have stayed at a few hotels in Cornwall and I'm yet to find a better one.
The location alone sets itself apart from most but add to this the splendour of the hotel and the excellent service, you have the perfect combination for a great getaway.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Headland and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Long ago we chose this hotel for its location right over the unrivalled wildness of Fistral Beach. Where else do you hear the crashing waves and watch surfers in the moonlight from your bedroom window?
We've been visiting each year for our family outing for at least 10 years, which must speak for itself, but this year deserves special praise for that "wow" factor created by the new spa and the particularly impressive service, together with the excellent standard of cooking.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Thank you for your very positive posting to Trip Advisor. It was an absolute pleasure to once again look after your family for your annual visit to The Headland am delighted that it was a success for all.I look forward to seeing you once again next year, Best wishes Darryl.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!