“Blustery Coastal Christmas!”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Blustery Coastal Christmas!”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Wow! Didn't we get a lot of wind this Christmas??!! No, not talking sprouts here...windy, blustery weather and we were right on the edge of it all in Newquay, staying in the five star cottages at The Headlands Hotel at Fistral Beach!
The cottage was well-equipped...everything thought of and when we were helped down to our cottage we were so pleased to find it cosy and warm with a log-effect gas fire going already. A welcome pack of teas etc and a bowl of fresh fruit awaited us and some fresh milk in the fridge too. The double height ceiling made the kitchen/diner cum sitting room seem even larger. Fantastic views from a large window facing south west, windows and French doors to the sides and even our en-suite window had a terrific view!!! The gales hardly gave up so the sea looked terrific most of the time we were there! Stunning location, hard to beat! Cottages are dog-friendly too so Toby came along for Christmas too! Everywhere very clean, good sized bedrooms and bathrooms.
Staff at the hotel are on the whole, quite brilliant. Top marks go to Marie/Maria who made sure we could have the use of a wheelchair whilst we were staying, as our daughter had ankle surgery in early December...so now you all know who we were!!! Thank you, it was a great help as we had had so much trouble trying to source one local to the hotel, and it would have proved difficult to get one in the car for our long journey as well as presents and the dog! Waitresses and waiters were fun and amusing as well as very busy! They were all kind enough to make sure our daughter was comfy!
We ate most of our meals up at the hotel and although at times the service could be slow, the staff always tried their best and were lovely peeps! The food was very good but real issue is that the dining room probably needs more staff, especially on Christmas Day itself, as waiting times were long. A huge error was a slip-slidey tray of sorbets...most of which ended up down my sister-in-law's dress...ve ve sticky, the waitress was mortified...but they weren't so delicious anyway and thankfully sister-in-law brought plenty of lovely clothes with her!
All three of us used the spa for treatments and the staff there were great and the treatments super. The spa is a beautiful haven and I am not surprised it has won awards...well deserved! I was scrubbed, buffed and polished to within an inch of my life and enjoyed every minute of it!
The hotel itself looked fab - all dressed up with beautiful Christmas trees and the reception staff were very welcoming and helpful. We enjoyed the Call my Bluff wine tasting quiz and were very happy to win!!! The local Newquay brass band entertained us with great renditions of carols and they were appreciated by many, especially the little children who joined in with sleigh bells!
All in all, a super Christmas break for us as we had a rather stressful year. Would love to go back and enjoy The Headlands' hospitality - storm watching,again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KWils1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
  • Greek first
Kent
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We have called into this hotel many times for coffee.
It has lovely grounds to walk around and fantastic views over Fistral beach and the Atlantic. The views are spectacular especially when the surf is high.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith999kent
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for a great review, we are so fortunate have such delightful views from our Hotel and Cottages. I look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Penzance, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

had a lovely few hours in the recently opened Spa with my mum on Sunday..the staff were very helpful on arrival, as part of the £12 payment a cream tea was included so even greater incentive to swim a few more lengths!
There is a pool,jacuzzi,steam,and sauna, all a very small area, so try to go out of the busy period, but was very relaxing..
As we are local to the area its worth asking them about there 'locals card' as gives you 10% off most things apart from drinks within the hotel, which we used later as came back for dinner..
My only niggle was the fact that the hairdryer didnt work in the changing rooms, i let the staff know on reception and she allowed me use of another one in the treatment room area which was a much better hairdryer anyway- not sure why they had different types of dryer in the first place?!
Although we didn't have any treatments this time, they seemed to have a large range on offer,so definitely worth a look next time..

Room Tip: If you are a local to Cornwall, ask about there loyalty card..
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
It's really lovely to hear that you enjoyed your Spa day here at The Headland. It's a great way to relax and unwind with a delightful view! Thank you also for your constructive feedback, we will look into this. I look forward to seeing you soon.
Tiverton, Devon
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We Just had a one night stay here on a Travelzoo offer. This included a 3 course meal and breakfast and a box of fudge in the room. It was a really nice hotel which was very clean and tidy. The reception staff were very friendly and they even showed us to our room. The room was comfy, warm and overlooked the Atlantic ocean. The food was very good and breakfast was very nice too. I had eggs Benedict which was cooked to order. There was freshly squeezed orange and apple juice ( you don't see that very often in other hotels) . We did go to the pool which also had a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. We really enjoyed our stay and the other thing is they let us stay in the car park after check out so we could go for a walk over the cliffs. Highly recommended

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DevonKaz
Thank you for such a wonderful review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! I look forward to you and your partner returning to The Headland for a relaxing stay again soon.
london
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We are now regular guests at the Headland and it is a beautiful hotel in a perfect setting. We stayed between Christmas and New Year and had a wonderful relaxing time.
Special mention to the reservation team who are so helpful and knowledgeable about customer needs.
Our coastal view room was really lovely and as always the welcome and check in are fantastic.
(from Andrew).
Housekeeping is efficient and thorough, as well as quick and discrete.
Free wifi a bit hit and miss but good to have
Lots of places to sit and chill. Food was very good, freshly cooked and of a high standard. We were half board. Wine list good and prices very fair.
Breakfast simply the best as my pictures show.
Very dog friendly and at times a bit like a labrador convention. Next time we may lower the tone with our small dog!
The spa is lovely but the changing facilities inadequate and badly planned. There is only one private cubicle (essential when you are a 60 year old female, to protect the other guests!) Usually somebody selfishly dumped their clothes in there and it was out of use.)This has been mentioned before. Gym wonderful.
So why not a 5* review.
The problem is the drinks service in the restaurant. I expect to wait for my food. I do not expect to wait 35 minutes for my dinner drinks. A glass of champagne and a bottle of wine. I got them after my main course. Once again this has been mentioned on reviews before. Likewise, a pot of tea with breakfast could take 20 minutes. These things need to be addressed and not neglected. There seem to be 2 problems as I see it with my untrained but well-travelled eye.
1. There was no dedicated wine waiter or assistant. Nobody had an overview of what was going on in the restaurant regarding drinks.
2. I think we have a case of 'computer says no!' here. The Headland relies on a computerised system whereby the head waiter has to input the order on the screen. I suspect the system links well into the kitchen, but not regarding a drinks order.

Meanwhile, I felt insulted when I asked to discuss the delayed drinks with the duty manager and was simply offered a free champagne by the poor Head Waiter.
I was not interested in the freebie, rather an intelligent conversation about the problem with an experienced customer service employee. Reluctantly, I was given the opportunity to air my concerns, but to be honest, I had no confidence in the manager on duty, who seemed out of his depth.
I have my own solution to the problem for our next visit. I will buy my drinks in the bar and take them to dinner with me. Not how it should be, but at least I will be happier.
I urge the hotel management to address the issue of drinks during dinner. I am certain sales will increase with a speedier service!
In conclusion, the most wonderful hotel which is probably one of our favourites in the world. We just want it to be perfect so that every visit is a joy.

Room Tip: Coastals are good value
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sha1955
Wickford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed at the Beach 2 holiday cottage part of the headland hotel complex. The stay far exceeded our expectations. The quality of the accommodation was outstanding. Service and facilities were excellent. We would recommend this cottage unreservedly without hesitation. The value for money was outstanding. A bonus of using the cottages is that you have use of all the superb hotel facilities at no extra charge. The superb swimming pool jacuzzi, sauna steam room and outstanding Spa facility as well as the excellent restaurants ..You have just got to try it for yourselves.

Room Tip: The Beach 2 cottage had sea views from all rooms and was close to the hotel for easy access to the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johncase66
Wow, thank you for such a great recommendation! Our 5-star cottages really are dream homes with fantastic views of the Atlantic. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Headland in the very near future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Why not pig out at christmas? It would be rude not to. So, let's book afternoon tea at The Headland Hotel.

The welcome was somewhat muted. Could be because the hotel was busy, But having specifically booked an afternoon tea, none of the requests we made to the manager we spoke to on the day of booking were relayed to the staff on the day. So, once that was sorted and a table was laid then festivities could begin.

The location is fab, Atmosphere is great, it feels very victorian apart from the other guests busy ignoring eachother whilst they keep busy on facebook, oh well can't delay the 21st Century forever.

The food was plentiful, Sandwiches (which for us didn't cater for a vegetarian, despite asking beforehand) were delicious and more than enough for two of us. Somewhat let down by the scones and cakes. Both were dry and very crumbly rather than soft and moist. This is Cornwall, Scones should be without fail fantastic. Not sure they were baked on the morning of the day we attended but if they were I would say they'd dried out too much by mid-afternoon.

Lashings of tea and a fabulous view. The service was great and very attentive. The lovely thing is that nothing was rushed. There was no feeling of get them in, get them fed and get them out. Lots of other establishments could learn from that.

Would we do it again? We would. Hopefully, we'll see an improvement in the scones.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CloudStratUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,503 reviews

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!