“Didn't want to leave!”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I stated here for Valetines weekend 2014 and had a truly wonderful stay. This was our second stay at the Headland and I really want to keep going back. Our room was stunning, with views straight onto the ocean, seating area and huge bathroom and thanks to the stormy weather we could hear the waves crashing outside despite the double glazing. An amazing sound to wake up to! The staff were welcoming and super helpful, they really can't do enough to make your stay special. I find this hotel so relaxing. The breakfast was yummy. There were nice touches like a bottle of bubbly in the room and a little gift on our table at dinner. If you like your hotels traditional and luxurious then I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We upgraded on arrival, well worth it to get a Best room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

I am glad that both yourself and your husband enjoyed a relaxing Valentine's weekend here at The Headland. The Headland is the perfect location for storm watching especially at this time of year. Your review makes a delightful read, thank you for taking the time to post it on TripAdvisor and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

A lovely relaxing break again in one of the cottages. All was just as we remembered it. We also had some amazing stormy weather to make the most of our great views.Everything is to a really high standard and so clean. Made very welcome in the hotel and enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant and very nice cocktails in the bar! Will definitely return again.

Room Tip: Cottages are amazing, they have thought of everything.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in our 5* cottages. I agree, the cottages do have amazing views over the Atlantic and are very well equipped. I look forward to seeing you both again soon!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

After having a great night last night with freinds and family in The Headland terrace i feel i had to come on here and recommend this place as a great hotel,spa .
The staff were amazing and could'nt do enough for us -even when my freind wanted something that was'nt on the menu-they produced a lovely plate of food for him.
Cant wait to use the spa here also-looks great and the people there were so nice just showing us around:)
Love this place and love to take my family and freinds here whenever they visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review, I am glad that you and your friends have had a lovely time in The Terrace, it is lovely hear that you were looked after well by our staff. I look forward to seeing you again soon, and when you do get a chance please do visit our 'Five Bubble' rated Spa for a range of amazing treatments.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

As a family we have stayed at the Headland many, many times over the last 25 years. As soon as we walk in we relax and feel at home. We have just celebrated my 60th birthday with a wonderful old fashioned afternoon tea party with family and friends. Being the Headland things were not always exactly right, for instance the background music kept slipping, but the warmth and and atmosphere were excellent and the cake actually had the right name on it (for my 50th it said for Richard!). The staff were friendly as always and a special thank you to Kathy who looked after us so well. It is a memory I will treasure. One tip - it was exceptionally windy, and being a special weekend we had booked into the Tower suite for a treat. We spent most of the night wide awake with the noise and in a state of anxiety imaging the roof was going to collapse in on us; the next morning we moved to a room on a lower floor - so do check the weather forecasts first. On Tuesday morning the hotel's hot air balloon was drying in the ball room after returning from a competition in Switzerland - it was fascinating to see it close up. We all love the Headland, I thoroughly recommend it, and am looking to our next visit!

Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for returning to The Headland once again! I am so glad that you found our staff friendly and that they helped to make your birthday celebration extra special. I will of course pass on your kind comments to Kathy who I am sure will be delighted. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I do not often get a chance to stay in a hotel of this quality and i can really appreciate the difference. Luxury throughout, and really good service - welcoming and helpful. It is a really large property and there are plenty of places where you can just sit and relax and look at the magnificent views. My room was really comfortable and clean. I stayed here for three days and enjoyed all of the food and the spa.
Will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Obviously the rooms with sea view are best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am glad that you have enjoyed your luxurious stay. We are very fortunate to have such fantastic views of the Atlantic from all of our dining / lounge areas as well as many of our rooms. I look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

From the moment you step through the door of this traditional style hotel, you know you're in for an enjoyable stay. The welcome from the friendly staff is second to none.
All parts of the hotel have a comfortable and stylish feel. The restaurant was very well run and the food top class.
The only gripe was that the bathrooms really need updating.
They also made our dog very welcome.

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the sea or beach is worth the extra
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Graham G

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you both enjoyed your stay. It's hard to find 4* Hotel's that are dog friendly, so I am sure you appreciated being able to bring your dog with you to The Headland and that you were able to go for coastal walks together. I look forward to seeing you all again soon!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This glorious looking grand old hotel disappoints on the inside. Described by the owners as a 4 star hotel at 3 star prices, it's more like a 3 star hotel at 4 star prices. We were greeted nicely on arrival and took advantage of a £40 upgrade to an ocean view room - we wanted to see the rough seas. What we didn't expect was the howling gale outside was repeated in our room because of the shockingly fitting sash windows. In spite of poorly fitting secondary double glazing, the draught and whistling noise was unbearable. A maintenance man arrived and fitted gaffer tape to the gaps to try and help the situation - I felt that this was not an uncommon problem! By the way, you get a much bigger TV in a Premier Inn.
The second floor room was OKish. Small and fairly comfortable although we felt the bed mattress was well past its sell by date. The lounge area on the ground floor was comfortable and we enjoyed a delicious cream tea served by a friendly waiter. In fact, every member of staff was very helpful and courteous. It was a shame that the aroma from the basement Spa and Pool permeated all the public areas.
The evening meal in the beautiful restaurant was excellent, as were the staff. Wine started at £21 a bottle - 4 star prices.
On checkout I asked for a refund on the Ocean View supplement which was politely declined. After the window problems I felt the least they could have done was offered something by way of recompense. Had I received this, I may not have been inclined to write this review. Shan't stay again.

Room Tip: Tempting though it is, the window problems make Ocean View rooms on stormy days a no no.
2  Thank Tim H
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and personal perception of The Headland following a recent stay with us. As you rightly point out The Headland is family owned Hotel and has been for some 35 years and it is our intention that every guest who visits us, leaves having had their expectations met as a minimum, exceeded wherever possible. The management team are expected to listen to all constructive guest feedback, and where appropriate to disseminate the information across the entire team, so that the Hotel may be steered to continually improve and be great in all aspects. It is disappointing to read that your experience fell short of the wide ranging positive feedback we enjoy on a regular basis and as this forum demonstrates.
The vast majority of our guests genuinely delight at the interior of our generously proportioned public areas, as well as the many choices of bedroom and suites available. Whilst I am delighted to read that on check in we made you aware of alternative category rooms; due to the current climate, winds and rain, I am somewhat surprised that you selected a room directly facing the ‘eye of the storm’, directly above Fistral Beach, a location that has recently been used to demonstrate the very best in storm watching at the present time!
You have made reference to some text within our website (although slightly skewed) which suggests our four star hotel comes at three star prices. You are actually referring to our entry level ‘Courtyard ‘bedrooms, and to where this text is connected. These are extremely good value rooms and are indeed recommended for those who wish to be cosy and ideal to avoid the wild North Cornish storms. They have been priced at £85 on a room and breakfast basis during February. Our TV’s are of various screen size, and carefully selected to be in proportion to the room they are installed within. Our mattresses are sourced directly from ‘Hypnos’ one of the best in the business, and any genuine feedback relating to comfort is always investigated by the Housekeeper and action taken where appropriate.
Thank you for your positive reference to the food and service provided the Cornish cream tea and also the evening meal that you enjoyed in The Restaurant. The suggestion that there is a permeation of chlorine is not something that we have been previously made aware of. There has always been a hotel pool on the lower ground floor, albeit and following a significant investment, there is now a brand new luxury Spa recently awarded five bubbles (the only one in the county) and a gym housing the very latest from ‘Life Fitness’; not to mention a spa pool with a multitude of water features and other relaxation facilities for both residents and small number of local members.
It is a shame that The Headland hasn’t worked out for you on this visit, but should you like to discuss this matter any further, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me personally and I would be more than happy to talk through your concerns.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!