“Dissapointed”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
VANCOUVER
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here for five nights, the room and the view were very nice, but for the price it should be.
We were on a bed/breakfast /dinner rate. Breakfast was okay but the sevice was terrible,we
were half way through breakfast before we got coffee. Dinner was very dissapointing, repetative menu, pea soup three nights out of five, had to send the lamb back, too tough and vey fatty, it was replaced by some type of steak which was almost as bad. They seem to use the cheaper cuts on the inclusive menu, then they want to charge you extra for vegetables.
Malted chocolate cheesecake for desert was no more than chocolate mousse with some malteasers on top ...pathetic..
Be aware of their cancellation policy of one month..never heard of anything like it in any other hotel. They ask if you would like a newspaper in the morning, then charge you for it, again never had that happen in any other hotel we have stayed in around the world.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VancouverLee
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are always concerned to read that a guest has not been able to rate their stay as pleasurable or even higher, as our utmost focus is to deliver beyond a Headland guest’s expectations across all aspects. I should like to assure you that our room rates are checked weekly against other similar rated hotels in our county for competiveness.
Please accept my apologies that we was not able to deliver your coffee more timely at breakfast, although I am unsure as to whether this was indeed on one morning out of five or each day? We operate a table d’ hote dinner menu on a three day rotation and additionally an ALC menu also. On that basis it could not be possible for the daily fresh soup to be served three nights out of five. We do not use any cheap cuts of meat on any of our menu’s and rarely has such a suggestion been made. Our guests absolutely delight at the homemade malted chocolate cheesecake, it is a very rich dessert, probably due to the quantity of cream cheese that is folded into it, we certainly couldn’t allow it to be described as a mousse, as this would be this would be most incorrect.
I am not sure whether you are accustomed to staying in resort hotels in this country, as I see that your reference is ‘Vancouver’. It is absolutely normal practise to operate the cancellation policy that we have in place and for good reason, as is charging guests for goods requested (at a charge to the hotel) whether that be newspapers or otherwise.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (876)
  • Greek first
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Location,Location,Location. That's about all it has going for it. Service was poor, staff very polite but unhelpful. Restaurant and lounge areas closed due to wedding but were not told until arrival. Room tired OK, but no hot water. We are told the hotel is going to have a major refurbish and it’s not a day too soon.Location,Location,Location. That's about all it has going for it. Service poor, staff very polite but unhelpful

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David J
Thank you for your recent posting and for choosing to stay at The Headland recently. I am sorry that you feel the need to refer to your stay in this way. We are a popular and vibrant hotel, particularly busy at weekends when we host wedding receptions as most hotels do. Due to the numerous public areas that we are unfortunate to have here we would not normally choose to inform every guest who arrives that we have other types of business going on. We do however always ensure that guests are placed in bedrooms and suites that are away from any expected entertainment, as well as ensuring that this never exceeds midnight.
I am not aware of any reasons for hot water issues to affected your stay, however should you wish to discuss this in any further detail I would encourage you to contact me personally.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

3 nights at the Headland. Wonderful hotel with stunning views from the Fistral View room I occupied (so long as you had the window wide open - see below). The bathroom was a treat, and the room was pleasant enough with good facilities. Value for money ? Not worth the £179 per night, it cost more for my 3 nights than it is for my week all inclusive holiday to Rhodes in June. Would I go again? If I could afford too, yes but I never will be able too, which is a shame. The restaurant needs more waiters, but they were very helpful and when I dined alone one night I was asked if I wanted a magazine - nice touch.
Overall, a lovely, family owned hotel, but expensive. I suppose this ensures they get the clientele they want to attract.

Room Tip: Fistral rooms have sea views but bear in mind that the view is obscured by salt and seaspray on the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Denise M
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The Headland Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed our service and hospitality during your stay. I can assure you that our nightly rates are very competitive in the area and constantly updated. There are several options offered to reach everyone’s budget, depending on which room is chosen. Our Fistral view room is one of our best rooms and they have all been renovated recently. These rooms are immaculate, embracing the heritage of the land and The Headland history. Also, a stay at the Headland offers you the opportunity to use our brand new leisure area with steam room, sauna, hot tub, our brand new gym, tennis court, a golf course and an heated outdoor pool.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Booked this hotel as a surprise for my partner. We stayed 4 nights in total on a much needed break away!
The hotel is an old building but furnished very well. Reception staff were very pleasant, as were all the staff. Although we felt we didn't receive the service which reflected the price we paid for the break, especially in the restaurant.

The bedroom was very cosy and the bed was perfect (no lumps!)

If you go to this hotel, I highly recommend a sea view room. It's just spectacular. Only a short walk into Newquay town area. It's a lovely place to be in the summer.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for a review that in essence was a positive one. I appreciate your constructive comments with regards to the restaurant service you experienced during your stay. We are in the process of training some new recruits in the main restaurant, as well as one or two supervisors in time for what promises to be a spectacularly busy summer season. I am genuinely sorry that we fell short on this occasion but do let me know personally if you decide to return in the future, and I will do my utmost to ensure you receive some Headland magic treatment!
oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Just returned after 3 days at the headland - location is wonderful - service is inconsistent but very friendly so it doesn't cause you grief - used the spa and found great service, treatments and lovely chill out area
Recommend for families. couples and surfers or those who love the beach

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you chose the Headland to enjoy a beautiful and long weekend. I apologise that the service felt inconsistent; however I would have like to know more specifically why you felt that way. Yes, I agree with the natural friendliness of our team.. I’ll pass on your great comments to our Spa team. We look forward having you again at the Headland.
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was built at the turn of the 20th century, and has clearly had much money spent on it recently. We had a superior double room facing the sea and it was excellent. The only disappointment was the housekeeping service which was poor. There is no facility to request clean sheets and the they up is cursory. The nightly turn down service is random - seems to happen every couple of days. We had half board and the breakfast was very good. On first night we had a disastrous dinner but they handled it well and after that the device was good. The table d'hote menu is very limited and is on a 3 day cycle. The location of the hotel is very good and it's a 10 minute walk to Newquay, which is a huge disappointment as it is faded granduer on speed. There is a big car park but it gets full on busy days. The hotel does host business conferences and on these days you can't get near the car park and some of the hotel public rooms are screened off. I find this disapointing in a quality hotel. I would go back but would check their conference calendar first. Overall a good venue for a long weekend.

Stayed May 2014
Thank for taking the time to share your stay on trip advisor. I am disappointed to read that we did not reach your expectations. There are a few aspects of your comments that I will ensure to follow up with the appropriate Team. I can assure you that our objective is to reach your entire satisfaction and would hope that anything with which our guests are not entirely satisfied can be remedied as soon as it is brought to our attention.

I can assure as well that our housekeeping service is always provided as its best and that we rarely fail. The turndown service shouldn't have been felt as random and please accept my apologies that it felt that way. We operate a table d’hôte dinner menu on a three day rotation and additionally an “A la carte” menu also. On demand we are also able to provide a choice of Lobster and Crab freshly caught in Newquay. We are a popular and vibrant hotel, we host wedding receptions and few conferences every months. The hotel is also particularly busy at weekends especially when we host such events. I look forward having you again at the Headland.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We have just spent 2 amazing days at this fantastic hotel. The building and the setting are breathtaking. The owners have done a great job updating the hotel with a new spa facility/gym and have managed to blend old and new perfectly. It is by far the most impressive hotel building in Newquay and while it is grand it is not snobbish in any way so that everyone would feel comfortable here. The staff are lovely, chatty but not intrusive and they are rightly proud of this establishment.
The food in the restaurant is not over complicated but simply a high standard with even a separate breakfast menu should you so wish.
There are a couple of different bar areas and a terrace that wraps around one corner of the building giving full justice to the amazing view and sounds of the sea.
You could say that nothing is perfect and the bathrooms could do with updating and slippers should be provided for the spa but these are minor things compared to the overall magnificence of this place. Simply one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, a grand old building and such a relaxing setting to forget about any troubles!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your great review, The Armstrong Family and team are investing actively in the Hotel to make this unique venue on top of its category and to ensure that your stay is exceptional every time.

I will certainly ensure that your feedback is passed onto all of the staff, I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,486 reviews

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!