“Short break for Surf lessons at the Surf Sanctuary.”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is third time we've stayed at the hotel and on this occasion it was just myself and my partner staying in the main hotel. We came for a short 2 night stay to have surf lessons with Dom and Tom at the Surf Sanctuary. (Book these guys if you visit Newquay, they're the best)

We stayed 2 weeks before this visit with the kids for Easter in (Cottage heurs 6) for one week.

The hotel is a little disorganised and the service can be very slow but the hotel has a charm and perfect location for enjoying the beach and walking into Newquay. If you have a large party stay in one of the many cottages on-site; they can accommodate a family of six like mine comfortably.

The newly decorated Spa is much better than the old pool and the newly decorated rooms like the one we stayed in (Room 123) are very nice with some good touches.

Dogs also welcomed at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for honest feedback. I am delighted that you have been able to visit us again this time on a relaxing journey with your other half. I accept grandly the criticism about the service. I do apologise that we didn’t reach your expectations on this matter. I can assure you that we take great proud of our service standards and that should be feel being carry into an effortless journey with us. We are monitoring the service closely and taking actions to reach the best service that could be provide here at The Headland. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and we look forward seeing you and your great family again in Newquay.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,800)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I needed a break and this came up and I was not disappointed. The Sun, Sea and the views were breath taking. I was made welcome and shown to a lovely room.

I have the hot stones massage, which is my fav, brilliant and would recommend the spa and the hotel to any age groups. I am 53.

The only thing that I would say to the hotel regards the out-door pool is to put a card lock, so only paying guest's can use.

Ms M.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Angela R

Dear Ms M,

Thank you very much for your great review. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. There is nothing better than enjoying a spa treatment by the sea. I will ensure to pass on your good words to our entire team especially our spa team. If you are a local, I would like to invite you to follow us on twitter and facebook to get the very best offers of our hotel and the last minute cancellations.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

again everything so amazing and excellent!!! Just the wedding guests were not nice not good behaviour not good cloth pretty awful but we still will be coming maybe not in wedding season...
Karin Howell

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Karin,

Thank you for your kind review. I can assure you that large events at the Headland are closely monitored and bad behaviour is strongly prohibited. Weddings are an important business for us and for a lot of hotels nevertheless, we try to ensure that other hotel guests are not affected as much as possible. We look forward having you again at the Headland.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Terrible place!stayed for 3 nights(2 too many) had workmen fitting a bathroom opposite the room drilling and banging at 8am. Rooms are large(had a family suite)but hollow-you can hear everything! We were woken up every morning at 6am by the noise from the room above while they stomped around and ran the bath(for what felt like hours).its like a glorified hostel.Staff don't care and(besides the porter)all clearly have little or no job satisfaction,they look miserable. Oh and if you're going with kids in half term think again,nobody turned up to serve the kids teas for 2 evenings(and the restaurant closes until 630)-ended up having to drive to the bedruthen steps hotel to feed them as recommended by a staff member at the Headland!even they know the Headland is a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2014
9  Thank dyll

Dear Trip advisor users, an important situation hasn't been stated here. The guest put by accident her necklace in the recycle bag provided in the rooms. Unfortunately, the content of the bag during the cleaning service has been discarded, after several hours of long search in recycling container and rubbish container; sadly we did not manage to find the lost necklace.

I would like to personally thank you for your honest feedback which allows us to improve our service to our guests move forward and rest assured that your feedback has been discussed with the concern departments. I am aware of your situation as I was the Duty Manager in charge the day you brought these issues to our attention and once again please accept my apologies on these matters. I can assure you that we ask your neighbour to be considerate early in the morning. Also the maintenance team should have not started drilling early in the morning and that situation has been corrected and should never happen again. Regarding the kids tea, we had staff members in place on every day of half term to ensure its smooth service; I’ll investigate why you have been misguided. Despite these issues, I know that the terrible situation with your necklace spoiled a large part of your stay and I completely understand that. I can assure you that I took the situation for your lost necklace very seriously. I would not say that our staff members don’t care as they dived along with me with both hands for hours in our rubbish containers to find your lost belonging. I genuinely wish that we could have found it and I am terribly sorry we didn’t succeed. Sending my best wishes to you and your family.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have stayed at this hotel for a number of years .....unfortunately each year gets worse ...the hotel room is brilliant on each occasion .....but that doesn't make up for the service or the food...

the terrace service outside ....well waited half hour on some occasions for drinks alone...

the terrace restaurant .....well very poor food ....more like pub bar food .....still got charged for it ..

the restaurant ......still very poor food ....no taste at all

breakfast was brilliant .....suggest change of chef for evening paid nearly 1K for 2 nights inc

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank petemcgrath

I would like to personally thank you for your honest feedback which allows us to improve our service to our guests, moving forward and I would like to assure you that your feedback has been discussed with our food and beverage team. Your review is very concerning. I can assure you that our objective is to reach your entire satisfaction and would hope that anything with which our guests are not entirely satisfied can be remedied as soon as it is brought to our attention. Please accept my apologies for this matter. We receive generally great comments regarding our food served in our restaurants. I would love it if you could communicate with me directly at the hotel to allow me the opportunity to restore your faith in the Hotel, so that each and every stay through the future reaches and exceeds your expectations. I look forward hearing from you. Best regards.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have been visiting the Headland for 5 years now and always stay in the cottages which are absolutely fab and we've always recommended them to friends and many of them have subsequently stayed based on our recommendations - there's a but coming! Our visit this time has been a little different as the hotel feels like it's being overrun with dogs which is great if you're a dog lover but significantly alienating if you're not - we also have a 7 year old who's not a fan of dogs at all so it's really put a dampner on his holiday (particularly when they're even in the childrens playroom - which really isn't on) - not quite sure what's going on but we will really have to think about whether we go back (particularly as we had a cottage which had clearly had dogs staying in - the room our son used smelt particularly bad) - real shame!!!! Maybe the Headland need to think about keeping some cottages as no pets as the smell is particularly hard to get rid of - just a thought!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not been occupied by dogs!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Daniel J

I am very sorry to hear your feedback. What I am reading for your honest feedback is very concerning and I’ll ensure a follow up on it. Yes we are a very dog friendly hotel, but rarely received comments as such. I would love if you could communicate directly with me at the hotel so we can discuss your experience further. Our mission is to provide a fantastic experience for our guest and you might know that as you have made the Headland your destination of choice for the past 5 years. I hope we would have the possibility to restore our faith in our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and for being honest. Hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The location and style of the hotel are fantastic. Food in the restaurant is very good, food from the terrace not so good, but still better than average.
The hotel is child and dog friendly, so it is not the quietest place in the world, but if the owners or the dogs (and children) are responsible, it's not too bad.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your honest feedback. Prime location, family and dog friendly hotel, are all combinations that makes The Headland hotel a very popular venue. I could assure you that when the children are at school, The Headland could become a very relaxing retreat. However, when school’s over we are delighted about all the families are coming down. We look forward to seeing you again at The Headland and thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Trip Advisor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!