“Second visit was as wonderful as the first”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
New Hampshire
“Second visit was as wonderful as the first”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Despite the hotel being full of families for half term, the staff was happy & accommodating, and they gave their complete attention to each of us. The hotel is clean and bright, the rooms had every the amenity you would need. The windows are large and open for the fresh sea air. The curtains block light if you need it. The bathrooms were clean, and the lighting was good for putting on make-up. The only bathroom drawback was that there wasn't a clothesline or rack to hang wet bathing suits on.The pool/spa area was very relaxing, despite the number of children present. The steam room, the sauna rooms & hot tubs are large and there are multiple showers, some scented, scattered about. There was plenty to do outside on the lawns, beach pathways and at Fistral Beach. Food was good, helpings generous with varied offerings between the Terrace & the Restaurant. Breakfast was enormous. The views from every room were spectacular. We enjoyed comfortable elegance in an old world style hotel.

Room Tip: Although all the views are wonderful, the ocean views are the best. They look directly out to sea. T...

1 Thank Jean091
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for returning to The Headland and for your detailed review. I am delighted that you had chance to use all of the facilities, our five bubble rated Spa is the best way to relax, maybe next time you will have a chance to enjoy a treatment. I will ensure to pass on your lovely comments to all of the team. Best wishes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Greek first
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We booked into the hotel with our pet Labrador for our son's wedding and intended looking in on her during natural breaks in events. On arrival at the hotel our room was not due to be ready until after the wedding start time but we were told that if she was well behaved she could stay at reception until the room was available. When the wedding was due to get underway we delivered her to reception, where she was made a big fuss of and during visits to her throughout the afternoon we were told she was happy and the staff were happy with her, so she could stay with them. On one occasion when she was to be taken for a walk around it was a found a member of staff was already walking her. Due to the attitude and help of the staff all concerns over our pet being left on her own were completely removed.
The upshot of our stay was that we attended a fantastic wedding, at a fantastic location, stayed in a beautiful room and could not have had better service.
We certainly hope to go back again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to post this review onto Trip Advisor, I am so delighted that you found our staff very helpful and enjoyed the wedding. It is our aim to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I look forward to seeing you again soon!
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had a bedroom on the third floor looking out over the sea (as all the rooms do). The room was clean and so beautiful. The view was fantastic and we were lucky enough to watch the sunset from our balcony. The spa is included in the price of the room and I quite easily spent several hours in there. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Was really pleased after checking out to be told that we still had use of the spa until the end of that day so spent even more time in there! Already planning my return next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review, I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to spend time in our beautiful Spa facilities. I have to agree, our rooms with balconies have such a fantastic view of the Atlantic Ocean. I look forward to seeing you here at The Headland next year.
Lacock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We planned a few days away and was recommended this lovely hotel so decided to give it a shot. We were happy to say it was an excellent recommendation. We had a very relaxing stay excellent customer service, beautiful location and great amenities. The bistro could have been a little more organised but it looked like there were a lot of new staff. The food in both the restaurant and the Bistro was excellent. Thank-you for a wonderful break.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedLionLacock
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit, I am glad that your recommended stay at The Headland exceeded your expectations. I will pass on your comments to our Food and Beverage Manager, I am delighted that you enjoyed your food. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

To celebrate our son's 29th birthday (just an excuse really!) we booked into The Headland for a weekend. . What a treat! My husband and I, our younger son and daughter, my elder son + his girlfriend had the most fantastic weekend ever. The whole hotel is lovely - so relaxing and comfortable. Grand without being at all intimidating. From the time we booked in - a lovely, helpful and friendly Receptionist - to the time we booked out, the staff couldn't do enough for us. The family all met up in the Bar for drinks then had a delicious meal in the Terrace Restaurant. The rooms were extremely comfortable and the views - from each of the 3 rooms - were awe-inspiring. We made ample use of all the facilities - the outdoor pool, the indoor pool, the Spa, the gym (all very excited about the scented showers!), room service and, of course, the Bar. The whole experience was faultless and we can't thank the staff enough. It was our first time at The Headland but, hopefully, it won't be our last.

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms in all - all quite separate from each other - and each one was individual and excelle...
1 Thank Ihaterugby
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
What a great way to celebrate your son’s birthday! I am glad that you all had a fantastic time. Our staff will be delighted to hear that they were able to make your weekend extra special, I will ensure that your comments are passed onto them all. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have been visiting the Headland Hotel now for more than 20 years, once with a young family and in more recent years as a couple and in all those years it never disappoints. It has undergone many changes and modernisation during that time, but has never lost its romance and wonderful ambience. Food is always exceptional whether in the main restaurant or in the terrace bar. Very friendly and helpful staff who are attentive, but never intrusive. Rooms are very spacious, comfortable and well maintained and many have superb ocean views, as indeed the restaurant has also. There are also many different areas to sit within the hotel and it is easy to find solitude if you should want it. The position of the hotel is outstanding with panoramic views across the beaches and ocean and a newly added rear terrace looking straight out at the ocean with glass screens to combat any wind. We have also stayed in the Headland cottages which are absolutely superb. The hotel offers a unique combination of traditional old world with modern and it has been very cleverly executed so that you hardly notice the "join" and still maintains the feeling of grand style.

Room Tip: Certainly worth spending that bit extra on a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for such a delightful review, I am pleased to read that you have been returning to The Headland for so many years. I have to agree the Hotel is in such a unique location, with a beautiful view of Fistral Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. I will ensure to share your comments with all of team, I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I came here for 2 nights with my partner and Jack Russel.I chose this hotel as.it was highly recommended for being pet friendly and I had seen the film "the witches" as a kid and really loved that movie. I recognised the building immediately from the movie. You do get the sense you are at somewhere very grand. It seems to be a victorian style architecture and maybe it looks a little like an asylum but I like places that are a little spooky. We had the three course dinner on one of the nights. This and the breakfast were both excellent. The rosewater and vanilla pavlova with rhubarb compote was honestly the best pudding I have ever had in my life. The position of the hotel right on a rocky verge against the sea makes for stu nning views while dining. We were on their third floor. The room was small and overlooked a small light shaft. It was noisy in the afternoon from what sounded like ventilation or air conditioning but this completely ceased at night. I mightve gone for a room with a sea view next time.
We are particularly grateful to the staff for looking after our dog when we went for meals. She sat behind the reception area and was tended to very lovingly and thanks to Andy for even taking her for walkies. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014
Seb_Neyron, Assistant Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your recommendation, I am glad you all enjoyed your visit. I have to agree The Headland is a very iconic looking building, Victorian but with a modern twist. I will ensure that your kind comments are passed onto our Food and Beverage team, they will be delighted! I look forward to seeing you again soon.