“1st Summer”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have stayed at the Headland many times over the last 10 years, most often in the cottages and usually in Tide 3, this was however our first summer time visit so it was a very different break for us.
From the moment we arrived the hotel staff were friendly and efficient, we were early but as the cottage was ready that was no problem. The cottage is extremely well fitted out with lovely bedrooms and bathrooms and an excellent kitchen area. The lounge had French windows opening out to a small garden area with wonderful views to the headland and Little Fistral beach.
The lounge furniture is looking a bit dated now but perfectly functional and comfortable.
The hotel has two restaurant's, having had a poor meal in the main restaurant earlier this year we opted for the terrace restaurant for a couple of meals and they were excellent particularly the Mussels and the Hake, the staff were great and table service excellent particularly as we ate in the bar area to accommodate our dog!
The headland is in a fantastic location overlooking Fistral and Little Fistral beeches with views of all Newquay's beaches, there are great walks around the hotel and a lovely cliff top walk into Newquay town and harbour.
The cottages are not cheap but if you are going to stay try and spend a bit more for a sea view they are magnificent.
The only moan we have is £18.00 a night for a dog is a bit steep.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view. The Stable bar at Fistal beach offers great pizza and cider.
2  Thank quinsfan2013
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for your review and returning again and again over the last 10 years.

An ocean view in the hotel and cottages is always recommended, the views are breath taking and vary day to day and month to month. I imagine there was a very different scene outside the window this time compared to previous visits but stunning none the less.

It is nice to hear you were able to check in early, especially at this time of year and thank you for mentioning the team, I will pas on your comments.

I'm sorry to hear you had a previous bad experience in the restaurant and hope this doesn't put you off dining there in future, but I am glad you enjoyed your meals in the Terrace.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel, fabulous spa, awesome location, a short walk to Fistral Beach and Newquay town. Great staff as well. Sadly the food wasn't up to the same standard. Vegans don't just eat vegetables! How about a but of imagination, nuts, quinoa, tofu, lentils etc etc? We gave two weeks notice after all. Very poor in that respect. Also there was the issue of 'when are two twin beds actually one double?' A big issue for us on religious grounds. Please try harder.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank steve w
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention following your stay with us in June. Apologies that we did not cater for your dietary requirements as enthusiastically as you would have hoped. As a hotel we have recognised a huge growth and variance in dietary changes and demand, over a period of time both on moral and medical grounds, and we continue to keep ahead of this on a daily basis.
The bed configuration of our bedrooms and suites are numerous, and there is no reason why any prospective guest should not have the exact requirement to suit their personal preference. We do have twin bedded rooms where the beds are both together (continental twins) and also apart. As long as we are fully aware of the requirement we can manage the reservation being made accordingly.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We spent 2weeks in the cottages at Headland. The setting must be second to none! The ideal antidote to fast paced London and work. Love the outdoor pool and encourage the hotel to keep heating it! Spa is open and lovely especially if the weather is not at best. the cottage is brilliant. we ate all around, but tried the hotel a few times. A bit tradional english (service wise) but good quality, fresh food with a Cornish angle of course! We will be back I hope!

Room Tip: Choose a cottage,
1  Thank Lynne J

Thank you for your review.

We are in the perfect location to 'get away from it all' especially in the cottages where you have all the facilities you need for a quiet relaxing break and our outdoor pool will be heated all through the summer season. Our two dining areas have different styles of food and service and I would urge our guests to try both. I am glad you enjoyed our fresh locally sourced ingredients and how our chefs have prepared them.

We hope you'll be back soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked one of the cottages again, having stayed in one last September. It was the cottage with the very best view, having the high balcony with the 270 degree view, which was simply wonderful.

The cottage was clean, comfortable and stylish and our request for non allergic bedding and blankets was ready and waiting for us. We had booked dinner in the hotel on our first night, which we had to cancel as I wasn't very well and this was no problem and the receptionist wished me better. I asked if it would be possible to order food for the cottage and was told that it was, although they were very sorry but were unable to deliver meals across to us but we could have it ready to collect. This seemed fair enough to me, though we didn't use this service in the end.

We were offered someone to take us across to our cottage and show us around and help with our luggage, but declined as we already knew about everything from our last stay and were happy to sort ourselves out.

On arrival at the cottage there was milk, tea, coffee, fudge and biscuits waiting for us, which is a lovely touch and all toiletries, washing up liquid, etc were provided. The cottages have their bathrooms cleaned every day and beds are made are the bins emptied. This is done at a time to suit you. Toiletries are replenished, although they did stop supplying them after a couple of days - we had enough to get by but daily supplies would have been appreciated.

All of the cleaning staff were charming. In fact, we found all of the staff to be lovely - in the spa, on reception and in the restaurant too (we eat in the Terrace restaurant frequently). The drinks and food were lovely and service was speedy and polite and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

The spa is very nice and we both had treatments - I had a pedicure and my husband had a massage. Both were very good. The lovely girl who did my pedicure - Vicky- remembered me from September, which was very sweet! She kindly showed us round the spa and gym which is amongst the best I've seen in hotels. We used the gym one day and, as a regular gym goer, I felt the machines on offer were of very good quality.

The setting of the hotel, overlooking Fistral and Little Fistral beaches is truly magical and the hotel itself is a magnificent Victorian building.

I consider myself to be rather particular about where I stay and the fact that I returned to The Headland Hotel and intend to do so again, says it all really. Whilst I haven't stayed in the hotel rooms themselves, I have spent enough time using all of the hotels other facilities to be able to highly recommend it and when I read the odd bad review about the hotel, I really cannot connect it at all to my experience of staying there.

I consider The Headland Hotel to be a very professionally run, friendly and helpful luxury hotel and I am already looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hrmanager

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your cottage.

The Cottage you refer to looks out towards Newquay Bay and the Gazzel on one side round to Little Fistral, Fistral beach and back towards the Golf course on the other, all from the same room! If the best views are important, this is the cottage for you!

I'm sorry to hear you were unwell when you arrived and hope you had a speedy recover to enjoy the rest of your stay.

It is great to hear of so many good comments about our team who all work very hard to ensure all are guest's stays are as pleasurable and enjoyable as possible.

Unfortunately on occasion things can go wrong, even in the worlds best hotels. Although I am happy to say that this a rare occurrence at the Headland. Inevitably these are the ones that are almost guaranteed to appear on tripadvisor unfortunately.

We hope you return soon and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

As you will gather, we are fans of the Headland.

I have been unable to review our stay until now,as we come here so often and Tripadvisor insists on a 3 month gap.!

This review relates to our weeks stay in May.

This time we stayed in a two bedroom cottage with friends.

Check in was quick and easy ( we could actually do the orientation tour!) I do wish though that there was some way of the staff knowing we are multi returnees.

I don't expect dancing horses etc but it would add to the 'feeling special' aspect.

As always the cottages are tip top - the cleaning regime is fabulous and as always the staff accommodate you if you are having a bit of a lazy day etc.

The cottage was particularly roomy with a small garden looking out to sea.

On trips to the cottages, we don't really bother too much with the hotel but did use the bar on several occassions.

Service was pretty good although, as you would expect, when there is a wedding party it can be a bit less so - that's just how it is.

It's good to see some familiar staff faces at the hotel but we did notice there had been a turnover of staff even since our March visit.

As always, we will be back........

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank stevenc4874

Dear Steven,

Thank you for your review, and thank you for returning so many times over the years. There are a few new faces appearing in the teams over March, April and May so they are trained for the busy Summer season.

It is great that you find everything you need in the cottages but the spa, gym and all other facilities are there for you to use when the mood takes you, as I'm sure you are aware.

We'll look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We booked the hotel online. The pictures looked really nice and we got the impression that this was a 4 star posh hotel where we could enjoy a lovely birthday weekend.

I should have seen the warning signs from the beginning. Little signs that sometimes don't matter really point out what the attitude later could turn into.

It started when we parked. The bellboy or whoever it was, a guy in hotel uniform stared at us schlepping our luggage and yet completely avoided asking if we needed any help. After we checked in, the staff gave us simple direction and a card, and sent us away - once again, not offering any service. To be honest, I let it go but now when things added up it all seemed like a pattern.

The chaos continued as soon as we got into the room. We were pushed into a room with a view of the basement and the inside of the hotel - it felt like a cramped studio in Manhattan where you open the window and stare at the wall. No natural light or even view of the sky unless you somehow manage to stand outside the window - which we couldn't open. When we asked about it, the hotel management jumped on the opportunity to make a extra cash and charge us for a regular room as 300 pounds for a night and a half were not enough.

The party continued next to the evening. I don't know if the hotel was hosting a wedding or some kind of event, and drunk people felt it was OK to knock on our door in the middle of the night - literally 3:00 am, as if it's a cheap hostel in Amsterdam. Why not ?

The posh 70 pound dinner turned out to be only an appetizer. The foreign staff were very nice and made an effort to chat - it turns out the hotel "hires" work and travel students and they were making an effort to practice. Portions were very small to the point we actually went for another dinner.

Breakfast was almost the same story. A waiter came and asked us what we wanted to drink - and took about a year to serve it. The tea was served as we were literally about to leave, and there was no other way to get it. The waiters seemed just to busy. Even at launch, I asked to charge my phone at the bar. They were kind enough to let me charge it, but returned it covered with chocolate. Maybe it was offered as a free dessert.

The outside swimming pool was full of unidentified objects floating around. I understand it's outside, but it's not the only outdoor swimming pool in the world.

When we checked in, it turned out our guess that the grabby attitude of the hotel was real. The bill we were given included the a much more expensive meal, even though the we were told what the price was over a phone call. I guess it was my mistake to trust the hotel's words without seeing it on a paper. There were no price quotes on the menu, and when we asked again, just to confirm, the waiter mumbled something out and said he "wasn't sure". A mystery !
They also found it right to be charging us for the newspaper (even though it was offered by the check in lady) and even added a donation to an unknown charity.

I donate, but I don't like to be forced into it. If you're so nice - maybe you should hire a bellboy to carry luggage? And donate what you charge guests for newspapers and possibly breathing too. It felt like the hotel was, like an eagle, seeking for any opportunity to charge you extra.

Whether it's a business or not, guests are there to relax, not to be thinking, "what am I going to be charge for next?"

I did argue the price and got them to reduce it at the end felt cheap only because I demanded to pay what was initially agreed upon.

To top everything up with a nice and sweet strawberry - my partner left carrying our luggage to the car as I argued the bill. When I was ready to leave (and my partner was already parked outside the door ready to drive away) the check in lady asked me, "would you like any help with your luggage".

Judging by the hotel's fake reputation of ghosts walking around, I'd say the ghosts are probably the bellboy's or the person in charge of good service.

I honesty expect the hotel to be reading this and find a way to make up for this holiday,

Room Tip: - Offer to pay a lot more after you have already paid 200 pounds a night. - Yell
14  Thank Ido C
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your most amusing portrait of our Hotel, however I do honestly believe that any of our returning and potential guests will see this review for what it is.
If you would be kind enough to provide further details of your reservation which presumably was with The Headland Hotel and Spa in Newquay, we will ensure that we remove you from our database and therefore not send any further communications in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I have recently
completed another memorable break, and once more we were delighted with all aspects of the hotel, ranging from the delightful afternoon tea to the exquisite spa treatment and all complimented by the most professional and helpful staff.
Looking forward to another break !!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Pamalperry
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see you enjoyed another successful stay with us. It is nice to welcome people such as yourselves back again and again.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!