“fabulous location”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“fabulous location”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel is a large hotel with outstanding views, stands alone on the headland with superb views of the Atlantic Ocean and Fistral Beach. Lovely spa, lovely dining room and great outside area for eating. Menu was a little unadventurous and the service was trying to be first class but was missing the mark, food took a long time to come and a couple we met who were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary said they were very disappointed with the food.
Rooms are quite good but I did expect a little more, we had an ocean view room but the windows were old fashioned and didn't open properly and there was no air conditioning so it was stifling in the heat. That said those views are stunning and you can't put a price on that.
I ordered pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast but they were disappointing, they were the ones you buy from the supermarket warmed up, I imagined they would make them fresh.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms overlook the Atlantic and are the best, some overlook fistral beach where you c...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for your review which I have translated as mainly positive, although I would have hoped we could have done a little better in certain areas!
With regards to our bedroom windows, these are always a challenge when grade ll listed building meets Atlantic coastal storms in the winter months, but I would like to assure you that we are always investing in suitable window replacements or maintaining of them within the said boundaries. The third floor Ocean view rooms are having complete double glazed replacement as we speak.
We have been receiving great feedback from our new seasonal menus so I was a little surprised and disappointed by your described experience but have already passed these to the executive chef for comment. The numbers of pancakes we serve in the mornings are numerous, and for many of our guests the highlight of breakfast (other than our extremely popular Eggs Benedict of course!) and are sent from the kitchen to order without additional charges which is often the case elsewhere.
Please do let me know if and when you may return to The Headland, as it would be good to give you more of a wow experience next time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Greek first
Newbury
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last weekend 19th-22nd July for a short break and was excellent. As soon as I stepped in the door I was made to feel at home and important. Rooms were clean and well looked after clean towels everyday. I had a sea view room which was lovely and refreshing.The hot tub was amazing and very relaxing. All staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for me to suit my needs. Food was fantastic I are in the restaurant and terrace bar and food was superb!!!! Thank you Tom and your team for making me feel so welcome you have an awesome hotel.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Nadine1984Newbury
Darryl R, General Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you Nadine1984Newbury very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review and for expressing your stay with us so favourably. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and genuinely hope that you will be back to see us in the near future.
Best wishes Darryl
Thame, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in a double room with an exquisite view over the sea. The room was extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated. We even had the mattress of our choice as I had mentioned at a previous stay that the bed was a little firm for my back. I love the staff, they remember your name, are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. You feel like you are part of their family. The food is very very good. We stay here at least once a year as a treat. Last year we had a one bedroomed cottage which was over the top luxurious. I can't recommend the hotel enough. Being virtually on Fistral Beach and Newquay with it's harbour an easy walk, there is no need to use the car.

Room Tip: All the sea facing rooms are brilliant. The budget option rooms are comfortable but don't have...
2 Thank 200Eve
What a lovely and genuine positing, this was a sheer delight to open, thank you very much! We value all guest feedback that we receive and thankfully by far it is very positive, yours however is definitely ‘top of the bill’ this week. Until next time please accept my best wishes and do enjoy the rest of this lovely hot summer!
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have just returned from another wonderful week away staying at the Headland hotel self catering cottages. It's self catering with a difference as has daily service to make the bed , tidy and empty the bins. Literally a stones through from Fistral beach with use of the hotel facilities. It has both indoor and outdoor pools which we used and I had a relaxing time having treatments in the newly opened spa. All the staff were friendly and more than happy to help with any requests. A great location and lovely well equipped accomodation . We have booked to go again next summer .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrea W
Great news, I am delighted that you had such a successful stay with us. Our guests have all enjoyed such fantastic weather over the past couple of weeks, Fistral Beach clear blue seas and beautiful sunshine; even some huge schools of dolphins from time to time.

I am so pleased that you found the time to enjoy the Spa; our therapists are enjoying having the new Elemis product house almost as much as our guests!

Thank you for posting this review and I am delighted that you have re-booked for next summer, the Cottages become booked very quickly indeed, with many guests requesting their own favourite cottage by name!

Looking forward to welcoming you back next time!
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My partner and I had lunch at the hotel whilst staying in Newquay in July and also explored the hotel and grounds itself. The views of the beach are phenomenal, the terrace was peaceful and ambient, the food was rustic and hearty and the service was truly exceptional. Even though we werent staying at the hotel the staff made us feel so welcome and I was very humbled by their friendly attitude and great customer service. The Cornish cream tea was also a winner. We've added a lovely memory to our travelling experiences by visiting the Headland! Would happily book to stay on the next visit to Cornwall.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Neeeeeev
Thank you I am really please you found us on your exploration, I guess in many respects we hard to miss!

I do hope that you were given the full spiel about the filming of The Witches at The Headland? Many day visitors come to see us just to see the setting just for themselves.

Hopefully you will come and stay with us to that you may enjoy the simply perfect couples indulgent retreat, don't forget we have a beautiful five bubble rated spa as well!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage with my sister and our respective boyfriends. We were in “Fistral 4” which I Imagine is considered one of the lesser cottages as it doesn’t have a sea-view. Well a sea view is hardly needed as the cottage itself is so beautiful. It would be a happy holiday simply gazing at the beamed ceiling and taking photos of my boyfriend standing in front of the kitchen units!

The weather over my stay was fantastic, and I was lucky enough to spend three days sitting in the sun trap pods during the day and watching the sunset over terrace in the evening. Most of the staff were outstanding. I spoke to a few who mentioned that they were working over the summer and everyone seemed relaxed and happy and therefore did a great job.

However, there were a couple of members who I thought were needlessly pompous on the bar. I am guessing they are permanent staff as I would hear them sighing “what are you trying to dooooo???” to the younger staff in an unnecessarily exasperated tone. TIP – I’m on holiday so happy to wait an extra minute for a drink but not while spending that time listening to you try and make junior members feel small if they so much as ask a question. #socringe!!!!

Room Tip: My parents stayed in the hotel and we stayed in the cottages. I personally think the cottages trump...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JokeswithOakes
Many thanks for your absolutely wonderful review and choosing to share your experience of your stay in one of our Headland Cottages on this forum.
The ‘sun trap pods’ have been so popular with this recent weather and are ideal for those lazy afternoon people watching or alternatively sun gazing hours when the walk to the pool or down the path is simply too much to negotiate!
Thank you for the feedback in relation to our staff, we believe all of our staff irrespective of the job they do are the single most important asset of our business, and in order that it remains the success that it is. Apologies however that one or two of the team in the bar were giving unwelcome or un-necessary entertainment, we will have a quiet word!
Gadabout69
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Approached in the evening, this hotel looms silhouetted against the sky like an asylum in a Boris Karloff movie. When you enter its rather understated main entrance two large brass dogs welcome you along with a horses head (Godfather anyone?). Walking to our second floor room I fully expected the ghost of a nun to cross in front of me.

The room itself was dated in appearance but well equipped. The weather was hot and I could have done with air conditioning. Wifi was patchy. Mobile signal was poor. Better in the public areas.

I like to work out before breakfast and I was delighted by the well equipped gym. Joggers paradise just outside and the sea is 50 yards away if you like a morning swim, so no excuse to be flabby.

Breakfast was excellent. High quality ingredients and a very good vegetarian option. except ...that is...for the coffee which was revolting. If you value your taste buds pay extra for a cup of espresso/cappuccino.

Dinner is expensive but good. The bar serves well cooked bar snacks but again pricey and you can do better in town.

This hotel is comfy in all respects, glamorous in a touchingly retro way but it is outstanding for two things. One is its stunning location and the other is the most amazingly good service that you get from every member of staff. This is consistent professionalism of the highest order.

Room Tip: The sea side of the hotel will get dreadfully hot in summer.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for such a nice and detailed review.

Our hotel is a grand iconic property and truly unique both on the exterior and interior, but surely welcoming none the less! We have a variety of rooms, no two of which are the same, some more traditional and some more modern. Low power mobile devices do suffer loss of WiFi connection in certain areas which will be upgraded during the next off peak season.

A jog on the coastal path over Newquay's beaches is a wonderful way to start the day. As you mentioned, our new gym is well equipped for most styles of workout. And you're right, with 3 places to swim, the sea, outdoor pool or indoor pool there is no shortage of choices for a morning swim.

Finally, thank you for mentioning our team. It is always nice to hear that all our efforts are appreciated and rest assured I will pass on your appreciation to the team.

kind regards,

Jamie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
#10 of 21 in St Ives
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
#12 of 38 in Newquay

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!