“My 3 day stay at the Headland Hotel”

The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Bristol, United Kingdom
“My 3 day stay at the Headland Hotel”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My friend and I went down for a 3 night stay at the hotel at the start of August. I had stayed in the cottages in February with friends and had thoroughly enjoyed myself and wanted to return to this higher standard accommodation.
My overall stay was good, but not as great as I expected from my first trip.

We had a courtyard room - which were the cheapest but was not cheap by any means, but unfortunately on the second evening the noise from rooms through the courtyard was unacceptable. People were arguing and shouting! We had to report the noise to the porter at 3 am in the morning and the noise eventually went down within an hour! Then from next door, the rooms must have very thin walls, we could hear everything that was said and done. The following morning we did mention the first and second disturbances. We were told the first disturbance had been dealt with and the guests had left the hotel but didn't get any feedback on the actions taken by the hotel to ensure we would have a quiet evening. The following evening we heard the noises next door again, so little had been done.
We also ate in the ocean view cafe/restuarant on one evening and sadly I had a cold fish meal which should have been hot. I told the waiter and then was asked by the cafe manager what they should do!? I had to tell them I should have another meal. I eventually got the meal 15/20mins later and had to eat after my friend who had finished her meal. I had no apology for this and didn't get anything to compensate for this poor meal. Not even a coffee! I was very disappointed.
Even though we did have these issues I still enjoyed the atmosphere in this comfortable hotel. I would say the cottages are better, these are 5 star. The staff were very friendly and generally did do their best. The views are amazing and the new sitting area outside looking over the sea is fabulous. However watch out for the courtyard rooms noise levels.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms can have noise disturbance. The twin room have small single beds.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Andrea M
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Andrea,

Thank you for your review and returning to the Headland after your first stay.

I am sorry to hear of the disturbance heard from one of the other courtyard rooms during your stay, we have a record that this was reported and dealt with by our night staff immediately and these guests left the following morning. I will be following up on your comments about your experience in the Terrace restaurant, if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist in my enquiries.

I am pleased you enjoyed the rest of the hotel and the hard work our team put into your stay. We have just installed some new large Granite planters to finish the Terrace which look stunning. Perhaps you may return soon to enjoy this new addition.

Jamie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a last minuet break not being able to find anywhere available where they would take dogs and it was the best decision we made. Were still here while writing this and think its wonderful. Rocky our dog got lots if treats and cuddles from the staff. We stayed in a basic room which was just lovely and the birthday card from the team was a nice touch too

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and were made to feel welcome.

We look forward to welcoming yourselves and Rocky back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week with the family. .. the hotel itself is very impressive and incredible location. Staff very friendly and polite. The serving staff were a little slow at times. Drinks in The Terrace sometimes took 30 mins to arrive. They blamed a queue for the coffee machine. Perhaps they need another one?!
We were on a breakfast and dinner rate. Could not fault the breakfast and the dinners were also fantastic.
Lots of seating areas to chill out.
We had an amazing time. Loved the spa, had a surf lesson also. Will definitely return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Melissa C
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your review and I'm pleased your family enjoyed their stay.

I am sorry there was a wait for hot drinks in the Terrace. The problem is being worked on and we thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed both breakfast and dinner of course and made use of the surf school.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have just spent a fantastic night in the Headland Hotel, Newquay, the food is great & the breakfast choice in the morning is just awesome.
It is a great place to unwind & relax after spending a morning, trying to learn how to surf with Dom who is the lead instructor with the Surf Sanctuary which is based at the Headland Hotel.I get to try the surf again this afternoon but unfortunately not another night in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rmcd806y
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

I'm pleased to see you made the most of our in-house surf school and enjoyed the hotel. Perhaps next year you could brush up on your new skills over a weekend???

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have stayed in the headland cottages maybe 3 times now... and hope to be back some time again- we can't stay away. The location is unbeatable- the views being second to none. The decor is homely, the service efficient! We can so easily get down to the beach and use the brilliant hotel facilities. We have stayed in the 3 floor apartment once and wish to get it again - the top floor with the living room is a dream to be in at night with a film and a glass of wine! brilliant!! :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sophie L
Jamie_Crossman, Duty Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review.

The cottages are a perfect base for easy access to the beach, town and full use of the hotels facilities. The tower-block cottage (Mariners 2) has great views right round from Newquay Town and the Gazzle through Little Fistral, Fistral beach to Pentire and Newquay golf course.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Cornwall
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have stayed at The Headland Hotel on two occasions now. Not knowing what to expect on our first stay (my birthday) we were blown away with all aspects of our 3 night break. When the staff realised it was my birthday they even left a birthday card in our room for me!
We had the most fabulous break, I even had some pampering and had my nails painted :)
The food - well, what to say? Exquisite! From the breakfast, to the dinner, the Sunday lunch and the room service - perfect!
The room - had everything required for a comfortable stay.
The service - really couldn't be any better.
The staff - felt like they were friends, they all made such an effort. Lovely waitress (not sure of her name but she had a boyfriend who was a chef in the kitchen) and lovely barman (American) stood out. Oh and also the lady at reception who carried our luggage to our room! Seems unfair to pick a few when in fact all the staff were lovely :)
Our room had a great sea view, I hadn't quite realised how I loved the sound of the crashing waves whilst going to sleep.
I hope you've got the picture now - quite simply, visiting The Headland hotel is like living the dream! So much so that we returned for a 2nd visit and once the Summer season is over we will be returning again. Although we don't live that far away I have an elderly dependant mother and it is important for us to be able to have a break away but be able to return quickly if required and this suits us perfectly.

Room Tip: For us it is the sea view - perfect :)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lush2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review.

I am so pleased we are able to provide the friendly, relaxing retreat you deserve. I shall pass on your kind comments to Geoff (the American on the bar), Luna (in the restaurant) and of course the rest of the team who will be pleased to hear they played a part in your successful visit.

We will look forward to seeing you again after the summer.

Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I've just spent two nights at the Headland with my husband , two teenage boys and the dog ,...we had two rooms overlooking the Atlantic ......I just couldn't stop looking at the wonderful views it really is a special place ,..... The Hotel itself has an Art Deco feel to it and there is something for everyone , the staff are amazing and everything I had to eat was to,...( poached haddock for breakfast ) indoor/ outdoor pool , children's play room ,spa , tennis ,,, just some of the things on offer there ,....if you prefer somewhere else to eat ,Fistral beach has a wonderful pizza / pie place ,fish restaurant and a couple of coffee shops / bars / shops ,..... Thats before the easy walk into Newquay !!! ...... Also this place is lovely and quiet , slept wonderfully ,......I want to go back !!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor , so it was quiet ...nobody walking past ,if you can get a room with a sea...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CollliebB
Thank you for your lovely review.

It sounds like you had your hands full with all your family and dog!

I am pleased you enjoyed yourselves and we have enough facilities to keep you all entertained. I agree with your comments on the views, I struggle to pull myself away sometimes, even after living here for nearly 30 years, it never looses it appeal!

I am glad you enjoyed our food and service and I shall pass your kind comments on to the rest of the team.

We look forward to welcoming you all back soon.

Jamie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,502 reviews

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!