“Perfect Headland”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Exeter
“Perfect Headland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2009

I can do no better than copy some of the letter I wrote the day after our return....

Dear Sir,

Having just returned from Newquay I felt I must put pen (or computer) to paper!

My wife and I have had the pleasure of staying at The Headland Hotel for the last three nights whilst we hosted the wedding of our much loved daughter at your lovely hotel.

What can I say? From the outset when we came down to meet your ‘events planner’ last year through the run-up and the actual event yesterday things were perfect.

The standards you set in every area are wonderful. The rooms, food, wedding breakfast, standards of service and friendliness of staff are exemplary.

Our friends and relations were united in their praise of the Headland. There is so much and so many to praise it really seems unfair to single some out, but I will anyway!

Helen, the events planner, was superb. Her attention to detail, friendliness and willingness to go that little bit further was much appreciated.

The duty manager on the day, I think he was Gareth, could not do enough to help. He was very attentive throughout without being in any way intrusive. His help in keeping the event running smoothly was much appreciated. His sensitivity to the occasion extended to a particular moment when the Best Man, unnoticed to those around him, experienced a sudden moment of anxiety and Gareth’s unobtrusive support restored his equilibrium and he rose to the occasion magnificently.

We were so impressed with the numbers and standard of the waiting staff. The speed of service meant that approximately 80 diners all started eating their meals within minutes, a fact commented on to us by some of our guests.

The food was excellent. The beef in particular was superb. The speed with which chef dealt with a last minute unexpected dietary problem meant that the guest had an alternative hot meat option simultaneously to other guests being served.

Your front of house staff, thinking particularly of Maria and Diana in reception, could not have been more polite and helpful and I am sure we did try their patience but they were true professionals. There were complications caused by adverse weather conditions (the weekend of the snow) resulting in guests suddenly being unable to travel and substitute arrivals. The reception staff expressed concern and interest in the wellbeing and safety of our guests which created a very personal feel to the whole weekend.

We were promised a special weekend and you delivered this wonderfully well. In the words of my American nephew ‘ A truly classy wedding’

I did not complete your questionnaire prior to leaving preferring to return home and give it proper consideration. Please feel to use this letter in anyway you choose for advertising, publicity purposes or whatever. Please also bring my comments to the attention of those mentioned.

Well done Headland and thank you.

Stayed February 2009
4 Thank Perfectweddingday

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Greek first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2009

A lovely hotel which provided the perfect weekend away from work and blizzards! We booked through HOtels.com, which only supply budget rooms but we were pleasantly surprised - Lovely big room with a double and a single bed (only two of us so there was a "clothes bed!", feather pillows and duvet, bright clean bathroom with a great shower.

The only thing missing was a sea view but our window was very private even though it looked inwards.

I saw three grand pianos, plus a sofa everywhere you looked - great for relaxing and even small private lounge areas off the bar - with more sofas.

Location great, about 15 mins walk into town - definitely try the Dolphin restaurant (Steak and Seafood, award winning) on the main street.

I would recommend getting to breakfast in plenty of time though - turning up with 10 minutes until the end meant we weren't met with the best service. The second day (when we got up a bit earlier) was fine though.

I'd definitely go again!

• Stayed February 2009
bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2009

We arrived on the Friday night and took no time at all to check in which was appreciated after a 3.5 hour journey.

We had booked a 2 bedroom cottage as we were travelling with our eight year old who was chuffed to have her own room!

We absolutely loved the cottage which was very well decorated and was very homely and clean, with great views. The beds were also made daily and clean towels provided and the bin emptied.

We took our dog with us who also had a little treat left for him. The cottages and hotel are very dog friendly.

The only downside to our stay was that the boiler kept turning off so we didn't always have hot water. Also our key cards didn't always work (we were informed new locks were on the way as they were faulty). Notwithstanding the above the staff always came out promply and were very helpful and courteous. The customer service was excellent.

We would certainly go back and had a wonderful stay at the Headlands on what was our second visit.

• Liked — having our own cottage but still having the all the benefits of the hotel
  • Disliked — boiler!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mcfloBath
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2009

We have visited the Headland hotel in Newquay approximately 8 times now.
It has a superb location quite exceptional on the edge of the Atlantic on Fistral Beach. Sometimes we have stayed in the Beach houses which are modern, comfortable and relaxing and sometimes in the main hotel which has a great atmosphere. Either location is really enjoyable.

The staff are the most friendly and well trained we have encountered. They are always willing to help and make you feel at home from the minute you arrive until you leave. It is unusual to find a hotel like the Headland which is privately owned and combines all the good and rare things about old fashioned service as well as embracing all the modern aspects of high quality service.

Stayed January 2009
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

My girlfriend and I spent New Years Eve 2008 at the Headland Hotel and we had a wonderful time. At £135 per person per night my expectations were high and thankfully they were fully met!

Our room was lovely and clean, spacious, and had everything we needed. The hotel staff were exceptionally friendly and could not do enough to make our stay pleasurable.

We enjoyed a black tie dinner with canopés, champagne reception, plus a 3 course meal which was truly outstanding for the number of guests being catered for. We also had a fantastic cooked breakfast the next day which was the perfect way to round off a great New Years Eve at the Headland. This was followed by a great walk along the coastline outside the hotel.

You will not be disappointed with this hotel, it is exceptional in every sense.

• Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
East Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

We had a lovely short break in one of the Headland Cottages, situated adjacent to, and within a couple of minutes walk of the hotel, which stands in splendid isolation on the cliff top. Our one bedroomed cottage was smart, well insulated, centrally heated and had a nice flame-effect gas fire in the sitting room - very welcome as we had some of the coldest weather Cornwall has seen for years! No problems in our snug cottage though which was very spacious. It had a large sitting room with well equipped kitchenette (including a dishwasher!), a pleasant bedroom with comfy if firm bed with real duvet, and a smart bathroom in which everything worked. There was also a small outside decked area. On the Stormwatcher tarriff a £25 each voucher was included for the restaurant, and this adequately covered a lovely meal (drinks extra), so not bad value. It was also quite family friendly, even in the evenings, although the information pack contained a behaviour code for parents and children - what a great idea! Food was good with local fish a speciality. Free use of hotel facilities was included, and staff were polite, attentive and accommodating. Breakfast was available at extra charge as cottages were self catering, but the terrace restaurant opened at 10am for brunch etc. Restaurant had no dress code so was very relaxed, but staff were still formally attentive. Location was stunning. Newquay is a fifteen minute walk along the cliff path, the hotel overlooks Fistral bay, and attractions such as Eden and Heligan are within easy reach. Ideal spot for amateur photographers like myself, walkers and especially surfers. The cottages are an ideal alternative giving freedom and space but with the luxurious touches of a hotel, such as a basic room service, toiletries and big white towels in the bathroom. I bet it's packed and expensive in the summer, but this was nicer and better value than most hotels, B&Bs and self catering I have stayed in.

• Liked — Spacious and cosy
  • Disliked — liked everything
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Booj101
West Midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

Stayed at the Headland one night cost £93 pound for what they call a budget room. I have stayed in 4 and 5 star Hotels all over the world and these rooms are charged at 4star prices but are nowhere near what you would expect. Take a look at the view from our window (see photos). Wasn't expecting sea views but thought we may be able to see the car park at least. Would also question its safety. As one of 2 options to use as a fire escape how would the emergency services gain access? In addition to this my other complaints are:- Tried to call reception at 2230hrs to ask if we could have some heating in the room but no answer after ringing for 15mins. Had to get dressed and go to reception which was deserted, despite the fact the hotel so poudly promotes their round the clock room service. Had to ask a member of the bar staff for help. We were given a portable electric heater. I didn't feel this was good enough for the money we had paid. I did complain again and eventually the radiator was put on for us.

Next morning we waited 30mins for a pot of tea at breakfast, having politely asked 3times for it. However my main complaint is the attitude of one of the Directors of this Hotel when I complained. She was unhelpful, unsympathetic, rude, and even offensive. When I told her I didn't think the room was worth £100 per night, her reply was "You only paid £93 which is £46.50 each not £100", (persnickety! but thanks for the maths lesson Ms A). She also said she thought my complaint regarding the lack of room service was trivial and not worthy of compensation. I advised her I would be posting this review and she accused me of trying to black mail her. I have worked in customer service for many years and I would have expected to be sacked had I spoken to my clients in this manner. I am totally disgusted with her aloof attitude, the hotel clearly dislikes complaints and obviously think they are above criticism. The Director did apologise verbally and said she was disappointed we were unhappy, but I got the impression this was a very insincere gesture. I received a very sarcastic "Its been nice talking to you" at the end of our Conversation.

Think I will stay at Goofeys B&B Hostel down the road next time,sounds like you get a sea view for a fraction of the price, a good service and unpretentious management. Check out their reviews.

Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank GooseyWestMidlands
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newquay
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,488 reviews

Been to The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay? Share your experiences!