1,184 results
All reviews sea view the mexican restaurant its heyday groupon deal pool and jacuzzi bit dated third floor per day lovely hotel would stay again buffet style full english leisure facilities town centre a lovely stay short break beaches
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were looking for some authentic British place to stay in Cornwall, and Hotel VIctoria did not disappoint us in that sense! The building itself (built in thte late 19th century), grand traditional victorian interiors of the halls, restaurants and public areas are absolutely lovely, much better looking in real life than on some of the pictures. Location is great too - very central yet right next to the beach with stunning ocean views.

Hotel management have also made a real effort to make it a family place. All of us, our two-year old son included, truly enjoyed their lovely spa complex with a warm swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and a steam room. They also had organized free family movie shows in the Ocean View Bar each night over a weekend - absolutely priceless idea for families with little children who are not always capable to sit through a feature film in a real cinema, as it gives that vital freedom of movement and a much more casual and cozy atmospere.

On the flip side - the former granduer of the hotel has visibly deteriorated over the years. You could describe room furnishings as shabby chic with shabby prevailing the chic big time - some of the furniture, although nice and vintage looking, was somewhat falling apart (literally). It wasn't too irritating though as there's still something very special about that place which makes you forgive all those little imperfections...

On another note, although breakfast was lovely and plentyful (full English breakfast complimented with a cold buffet too), the service was barely coping with the amount of guests, so I would highly advise getting to your breakfast as early as possible to avoid queing and half empty buffet (especially if you're after their heavenly freshly baked croissants and buns...). As for dinner options, although reasonably priced and with great ocean views from the restaurant, the food itself was rather blant, so we decided to go out to other places in town after the first trial.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hannelore H
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My partner, daughter and I stayed at the Hotel Victoria the weekend of 15th March 2013 for 2 nights. I booked this hotel from a Groupon offer i had seen and thought it was well worth the money of £99 for B&B for 2 nights. I jumped on this offer as i had stayed at the Hotel Victoria as a child and i wanted to share with my family my childhood memories.

We were travelling down from Essex so we had a long 6hr drive ahead of us with a one year old child. Luckily my partner was able to get an extra day off so were now able to leave on the Thursday instead of the Friday. So we rang the Hotel Victoria to see what avaiablity they had and how much the extra night would be. They inormed us they were not busy and the extra night would be £125, I then told them the whole weekend only cost £99 and was there any thing they coud do for us. Their reply was no that was the price. So we decided to look at other hotels in Newquay for the thursday night. We ended up deciding on the Great Western which was £35 for the night.

When we arrived at the Great Western we were greeted by a modern reception area with a helpful receptionist. We were checked in quickly and went to our room. Our room was newly refurbished and had a beautiful new bathroom and a gorgeous comfortable king sized bed.

So we then we made our way over to the Hotel Victoria we arrived an hour early for check in, but we were advised that they could not check us in. Once we were checked in at the exact check in time we made our way up to the 3rd floor room. We walked into our room and the first thing to greet us was bird poo stained windows and very dated funiture, the only thing that was new was the television. The bathroom was old looking and the toilet roll holder fell off. That night when we got into bed, the bed was uncomfortable and very small, luckily enough we had an extra single bed in our room, and in the middle of the night had to go get into that as i felt so swashed next to my partner in the other bed.

On the saturday we decided to take my daughter swimming in the hotel pool. The pool area was ok and the pool was seemed to be clean but the womens changing rooms were so so so cold and the locks on the changing rooms door were broken. There was no way of taking my daughter into these rooms, she would of froze to death. I froze and i wasnt to happy and I'm an adult.

The breakfast in the hotel was up to standard and actually had quite a lot to choose from.

In all I found this hotel very dated and not up to charging guest £125 per night when a fantastic hotel 2 minutes down the road is charging £35 per night.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Victoria_H977
Reviewed 29 March 2013

When you arrive at the hotel you get the feeling of a grand old building ,built in 1897 ish and in its day must have been one of the outstanding hotels around.You walk in through the big old swivel doors and you are in the lobby area with the checking in desk to your right with a lift to one side on your left is a oak stair case that you would see in the old stately homes directly in front was the long TV/ Sitting area which had large cream sofas lined out all the way down on both sides of this were large rooms that the hotel use for functions ,down stairs is a swimming pool with sauna and steam room.stayed for two nights on a BB Basis , Our room was on the second of three floors it was very large which had a double and a single bed ,bath/shower WC ,flat screen tv / hair dryer and loads of storage.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank triggeron
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed for only one night whilst moving house.
We had two rooms booked. One family room which the decor was quite dated and a single room which was the same and very small, also a lot of noise from Bertie's until early hours.
Car parking was a big issue whist we stayed there which is made worse by having to pay.
Breakfast was okay, not what I was expecting in a hotel like this, expected more choice, like in other hotels I have stayed in.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jules K
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed for 2 nights, took the train instead of the car and walked easily with our bags. Newquay is a bit sad in the winter but the beaches are great, we walked along the coast on one day and got the bus back.
Hotel has a lovely old fashioned grandeur about it and the beach is just behind. Breakfast was served nicely with lots of choice. We loved the basement pool and sauna which we used twice a day- a delightful relaxing bonus. Room was comfortable and clean and very warm. We had a 2 night deal so trip was very reasonable. I would recommend it for a winter break.
The Maharaja Indian restaurant was very good (along the road0.

Room Tip: You pay extra for sea view. We didn't so overlooked car park on second floor. Not a problem as we went out to find the view, didn't need it in bedroom. Certainly lovely and warm. Nice bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple