“Very helpful”

Legacy Hotel Victoria - Newquay
Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I have been booking with this hotel for the last few weeks for several of our employees who are currently working down in Truro and I have found that the staff have been very helpful. The guys love the hotel and insist that we re-book them in each week and due to the weather we've been having to change our booking around quite a bit.
The staff have been nothing but helpful and our employee's have said the service in the hotel is brilliant.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Our group ordered 3 different rooms at the hotel for a 3 night stay.

The breakfast that is included is excellent and is better than most places in town. According to others in my party the gym + pool are also very good. Getting parking can be an issue, there are two parks and the one to the right is usually empty enough. You need to go around to get in, as the main street to the hotel is one way.

I stayed in a single room by the elevator. While my room was modern, the other 2 hadn't been changed since the 1970s, however they were more than spacious enough. The walls here are paper thin. I was kept awake by sound of the old and loud elevator doors going until 1am or so. I just kept the TV on for a while. The hotel promotes itself as being pet friendly, so there were several dogs barking until midnight most nights.

Staff at the hotel were very helpful. With money spent on refurbishments, this could become a 5 star place. A lot of lower income travellers were staying here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Heydon M
Reviewed 25 January 2014

What can I say? From the second we stepped into the hotel (all dishevelled and wind swept) we were treated with the upmost respect and felt like real princesses! We had booked in for a mini spa break, which meant we got towels, robes and slippers with unlimited use of spa facilities, free drinks, a bottle of rose champagne and a treatment each. As it was our two year anniversary I also treated my partner to an additional treatment.
We had the pool to ourselves for almost two hours! And no one batted an eyelid when we sat in the lounge with our robes having a Pepsi!
The spa staff are amazing, really good and so knowledgeable. Treatments are lush and leave you feeling really chilled.

Afterwards we decided to stop on for tea - by this time our hair was trashed from swimming and we were in jeans, but we were made to feel welcome in the bar where we had pre-dinner drinks and in the very plush restaurant.
The food was out of this world, and extremely reasonably priced for the quality and taste.

An amazing day which we will be sure to repeat.

Room Tip: We didn't stay.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have just returned from our latest visit to the Hotel Victoria, and have to say what a great time we had. From the time of our arrival to the time we left, nothing was too much trouble. The staff were all very attentive, and always willing to assist. The hotel is very clean throughout, even though a bit tired looking in places. Breakfasts were great, with plenty of choice, and served by happy and friendly staff. This is our second visit to the hotel in the past year, and have to say that things have improved since our first visit.
For the price paid we could not fault the hotel, and would recommend it for a break.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Harry T
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Well, before evan going there I have to say that Hotel Victoria is very bad expiriance. My wife and I wanted to have a little getaway with our daughter from our every day working life and tropical destinations being expencive for our pockets we decided to go to Newquay, Hotel Victoria. We booked hotel through booking.com, like few times before when we could cancel the room if we change our minde. The same date of booking we canceled the room and just than we realised that no refund will not be given. Money was taken from the bank few days after cancelation. When we spoke to hotel managment they didn't evan want to RE-BOOK OUR STAY FOR THE SAME DAYS WE PAYED FOR. Well, their answer will be that we should read terms and conditions but I will say that they took money witch is not theirs whitout giving anything back.

Room Tip: Don't choose any.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Petar z
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Me and two others of my friends that are students went to go and view cornwall college for the univeristy course, Whihc shows that we are mature and intelligent (we all got accepted) We originally booked a room with berties lodge and arrived after an eight hour couch journey to closed doors and no staff around. After a while of looking for antoehr door and wondering about a bar tender from the club came out and tols us to go to hotel victoria and they should point us in the right direction. We did just that and were quite pleased at this old fashioned looking hotel. we were greeted by a receptionist and she asked our names and explained that berties lodge was closed due to no one being booked in. This was the first dissapointment. We did not recieve one emiall, or letter even though our details were given to them, but we over looked it with the room we originally booked there was no deposit required we picked the lodge because of that. As we are students and dont have a lot of money we didnt have much choice the recption is then stated in a rude manner that they wanted 90 pound for the room which was what we just paid for the saty alone 2 night for 90 pound and then another 90 pound on top is ridiculous. We stated there no deposit was needed on our booking form which we had infront of us and i still have now, she then accused us of not reading it properly.. Instead of argue we paid the money and clocked into our room which was decent i guess. After an 8 hour journey I wanted a shower I walk into the bath room to find no towels. Then I go to reception and they are all chatting away in the back office. I stood there for a while until I had to say excuse me and they gave me three towels for each of us. When we booked with berties lodge it stated that we were entitled to breakfast and that it was encluded, We were not told once about breakfast. after our showers we left our towels in the shower as instructed to be collected and cleaned. we come back after our open day celebrating that we had been accepted to find our room hadnt been touched and the towls were soaking. I went down to address the receptionist and was told that because we were booked into berites our room wouldtn get cleaned i requested for new towels and was given them I asked what would happen to the other towels soaking wet in our room and she said leave them there. I though it was discusting how they treated us. We may just be students in their eyes but you dont know our background i felt as if we were just in the way and lesser then everyone else that was there. We were given our deposit back and i asked for a recepit because i strongly believe that the deposit was taken because we were young. And I plan to take this a lot further. I would NEVER ever use this hotle again. Ive been to over three stars and three star hotels and I have no idea how this hotel even counted as a three star. The outside is dismal, The service is appauling and the interiour need some serious tlc and even though we never ate the review seem to point that the food is disgusting. For a place that looked down on us it didnt have much to be proud of. I am saddend for everyone else that will make the same mistake i did. I just hope they read these and decide against it. Digusting.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ora b
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We arrived to be greeted by a very friendly and welcoming receptionist. She was knowledgeable about the surrounding area and everything that Newquay has to offer.
Our room was very clean, large and spacious; amazing high ceiling. Spotless bathroom. Furniture was tired, and horribly marked and stained by the lack of coasters available for your hot drinks. Bed extremely comfy. We slept like babies! We had a room that faced the town. Nothing offensive about the view. We've had much worse. I imagine if we had a room facing the sea it would have been spectacular judging by the amazing views from the dining area at breakfast.
We enjoyed the inclusive use of the on site swimming pool and sauna. Clean changing rooms, but they certainly need to clean the pool a bit better. Made me squirm every time I had to touch the pool handrails. Coated with a white, waxy scummy substance. Yuck.
Wide selection of breakfast foods available and the full English was very tasty.
We didn't find the decor offensive. It could be classed as outdated in this day and age where everything is white, clinical and impersonal, but I think the garish carpets and curtains with the dusty crystal chandeliers only added to the hotels general charm. Maintenance needed to be more on the ball with replacing blown lightbulbs. The corridor to our room was riddled with half lit chandeliers, so therefore was quite dark .
We would certainly stay here again without hesitation, perhaps for longer next time :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple