“would never go back”

Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
johannesburg, south africa
“would never go back”
Reviewed 10 August 2007

I stayed at the hotel in July this year and it will be somewhere I will never ever return to. The rooms are old. The furniture had burn marks on it. The beds have blankets insread of duvets which tells you how old it is. The bathroom floor has carpets which stink from wet damp. The food was poor and the front staff service were not the most friendly or helpful. At 4.30 in the morning a group of ladies game back from a night out which resulted in swearing, doors banging and in general bad behaviour waking everyone else up. The town of Newquay in general is not the pretties or cleanest and would never visit either the town or the hotel again. The restaurant charges a fortune for a steak and when you go to the pub next door you get 3 meals for the price of one in the hotel. Had someone advised me that Newquay was for night life and youngsters this 40 plus couple would never have wasted 3 nights there. When I saw the hotel the only reason I stayed is because I had paid upfront which I sincerely regret. Take it from me a seasoned traveller that there are far nicer places to stay thats unless you are under the age of 30 and looking to get picked up. Sorry this seems harsh but its true. Would never stay there again and would never recommend my worst enemy to either....whoever the owners are need to do a good inspection and fix it up.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank jojohannesburg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed 22 July 2007

LIke the other reviewer bit of a time warp here. However cannot complain about the girls on reception very helpfull.

Now the bad bits. Very loud, very old.. There seems to be a couple of bars/clubs restaurants adjacent to the hotel which belong to the hotel. I get the inpression that these are the money making arms of this business. I was woken at 2.00 AM, I guess chucking out time and kept awake till 5 AM. Had to be up at 7.00 AM so pretty tired most of the day. The hotel knew I was on Business so I expected a room of some tranquillity but given a front room. Stay away if you need to rise early for work.

Checking out time 10:30 AM never heard of this one, had to walk around Newquay for 5 hours good job it was sunny.

Breakfast was good with pleasant staff serving.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank trekkerclan

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels

Weymouth
Reviewed 10 July 2007

We spent three nights at the Hotel Victoria on a special offer which was 3 nights for the price of two. We paid extra for an upgrade to a room with sea views which was well worth it. Staff were very friendly and always willing to help. Lovely indoor pool looking out over the beach. Breakfast was really nice lots of choices and you could tell it was freshly cooked and not been sat in a hot plate for an hour. I think for a three star hotel they are giving very good quality and very hight standards. Ni complaints at all. Hope to return one day.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank *weym0uth*
oxford
Reviewed 11 June 2007

On arrival the hotel looked as if it had been closed for the last 20 years. It was dull, dark and dirty looking!!! I felt like i had gone back in time as we walked into reception. It is all very grand (in an old kind of way). The only thing in the hotel that hasn't been there for the last 50/100 years is the staff (who were very nice and helpful). Walking into the room i fooled myself into thinking things would be better in there............. they just got worse!!!! The room was pokey, the furniture was old and the bed was terrible!! The sea view was nice if you looked over the grubby rooftop of the dining room. We shared our balcony with the next door room, although they only had a window and not a door. The hotel nightclub was very loud and kept us awake until the early hours. Theone impressive thing about the hotel was the lift which took us through the rock underneath to the beach (as long as you timed it so the tide was out). It was an experience going down there and walking through the wet, spooky tunnel - but good - well worh it if you do stay there.

• Liked — the sea view
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank oxfordbella
Southampton
Reviewed 8 April 2007

We stayed at the Victoria Hotel for one night. First impressions.. The outside of the building is extremely dull and uninviting as soon as we walked into the Hotel i was even more unhappy with my choice! The Hotel was dark and aged looking (not in a good way, although very clean)we were then shown to our room which we immediately changed due to the strong smell of cigarette smoke. i could not believe how badly decorated our sea-view room with balcony was(which was basically the roof top of the restaurant below shared with other guests). The room we were moved to was small and pokey but did the job and didn’t smell like an ashtray! Later that evening when we returned from trying to find alternative accommodation around Newquay (i really didn’t want to stay there the whole place spooked me out!) being the Easter Bank Holiday this was an impossible task! So we had no choice but to stay. Our new room was on the side of the worlds noisiest club "Berties" and at around 10.30ish all you could hear was the constant pounding base from the club. This carried on till 3AM...

On a positive note the staff were friendly and the breakfast was good (i was told as i only had cereal).

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Im sure its Haunted!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Banabi
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 30 March 2007

I stayed at this hotel last weekend for one night (middle March). I was only down for one night and it was a bit of a flying visit! I needed a place in the centre, close to a venue for a concert, and near to the bus station. I looked through alot of the reviews on TripAdvisor (as always) and decided to stay at this hotel. I had been told the B&Bs were very good however I knew the concert would finish quite late so I wanted to stay somewhere with a 24hour reception. This hotel was a 5-10 minute walk away from the bus station and centrally located - you just walk a few steps out the door onto one of the main streets.

I was reluctant to book this hotel because not only was it not very high in the Popularity ratings on TripAdvisor, but it was over my price range. I am not a budget traveller but I am not rich either! When I looked up the hotel on Expedia, they quoted a special price of £110. I checked the main hotel website and could get a single room for £60. It did not have a sea view but it looked like you could not book a single room with a sea view. I was very pleasantly surprised to arrive at the hotel and find I had been upgraded to a double room, and for a mere £10 I could have a sea view room! It was a fantastic view - very refreshing to look outside. I have to say if I had spent much over £100 for the double room with sea view room I may have been a bit disappointed because the furniture is a bit dated/marked (as is some of the hotel) and as a previous person commented, it could do with a bit of a redecorate. Also I could hear the people in the room next door to me. The hotel is not as glamorous as the photos on the website suggests. However, I wanted a nice comfortable place to stay for one night and it was. From looking around Newquay and seeing the Best Western hotel (from the outside), I was very satisfied with my choice of hotel. Also I noticed that hotel checkout is usually 10am (which seems very early to me - I am used to 12!), but at the Victoria it is 10.30am.

I did not eat at the restaurant so cannot comment on the food. I did read in their guide in the room that scruffy jeans cannot be worn in the restaurant. I did not bring any smart clothes with me so am not sure I could have eaten in the restaurant!

Also the staff were all very lovely and friendly and accommodating. It is so nice to have people who want to help. I think for that reason alone, if I find myself back in Newquay again, I would stay in this hotel.

• Liked — Amazing view from the room, and central location.
  • Disliked — A bit dated so could do with being redecorated, and hearing the people in the room next door.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank Muldr4Scly
midlands
Reviewed 26 January 2007

very welcoming staff made us feel at home but with a great level of professionalism and customer care. Reception and the porters did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. great location with excellent facilities. Regency restaurant food was great as well as Buzios and the mexican, Senor Dicks. Room was great with a free upgrade.

• Liked — staff
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple