“Good Value for Money” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Lancashire
“Good Value for Money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Staying at the Bristol gives you that feel good feeling. It is not a modern hotel but it is elegant and tasteful with high ceilings and good sized rooms. Not many other hotels put fresh flowers in your room. The food and service in the restaurant is excellent. The quality of the tablecloths, napkins and cutlery are fit for a King. The rooms are spacious and scrupulously clean. The one and only lift is quite small but it appears to cope. Flat screen Freeview TV's are in all the rooms plus free WiFi to give Internet access. Luggage can be unloaded at the front entrance then the car moved to the large long stay car park at the rear. There is a swimming pool at one end of the building on the first floor and frequently we were the only people using it. If it's rowdy night-life you want this is definitely not the hotel for you because it seems to attract the older generation who like to be back in their rooms by 10 pm. There is a dance floor but this seems to only be used for functions. We have solved this problem as the Barrowfield, round the corner, has lively entertainment every night of the week so we go and enjoy that then return to the peace and tranquillity of the Bristol. This review would not be complete without mentioning that there are usually one or two coaches of guests come from Germany for overnight stays but this should not give any cause for concern as they come and go without disturbing anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pimbo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

I was recently a best man at a wedding where we had the wedding reception at hotel Bristol, the food was very good and also the service as we arrived at the hotel. As the evening progressed I was not impressed as the bar for the main ball room was unattended and all the bar staff were at the top bar, normally when I stay at hotels I go to reception and ask for cash back and they are happy to do that for me, when I asked the receptionist at hotel Bristol they told me to go to tescos, as the night progressed some of the wedding party and myself went into the town of Newquay, when I arrived back to the hotel I rang the bell for the night porters attention, when nobody came to answer I went to the back of the hotel to ring the other bell an hour and a half went by until the night porter heard me knocking on the main door of the hotel, I told him that I was here rining the bell etc. he told me that I must of not rang the bell as his phone would of gone off to tell him that somebody was at the door, he continued to tell me that I was wrong until he looked at his phone to show me that it would alert him then he realised that he never turned his phone on.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
BWHB, Managing Director at BEST WESTERN Hotel Bristol, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you found the the Ballroom bar unattended at the start of the evening - this was because the majority of guests were queuing for drinks at the other bar and we moved staff there temporarily to speed the service. I am very sorry that you had difficulty gaining entry on your return. Having reviewed our CCTV I do not agree with the time you said you waited but I readily admit that it was a totally unreasonable delay. Having spoken to the Night Porter he assures me that his phone was on but I will concede there may be gaps in the DECT phone reception. We have taken steps to make sure this does not occur in the future.
I am very pleased hear that you found the food and service at the Wedding celebration very good.
Aldridge, Walsall West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the hotel for a weekend. We were in a party of 25 Rotarians meeting together from all over the counjtry for a reunion.
On arrival we were pleasantly surprised with the location and the fact that it had a large (free) car park behind the hotel. It is within walking distance to the town with a Tesco nearby.
Our room was at the front of the hotel overlooking Tolcarne beach. It was a large room with a double and single bed. Well furnished and spotlessly clean and was serviced daily. All staff were very helpful. The resaurant was very nice and the food and service was excellent with a good choice of menu. There are several lounges and a bar which had drinks at hotel prices. In places the hotel was in need of some redecoration but on the whole it was good.
The only criticism one might have was the size of the one and only lift. It said it would hold 6 people but they would have to be very slim and underweight!. 3 people max or one with a couple of cases.
We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Bristol and would recommend the hotel for a stay in Newquay.

Room Tip: Choose a front room as all have a view and appear to be larger than those at the rear
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Keith H
cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

stayed at hotel last year after a friends wedding,yes i agree the decor is a lilltle dated but from someone who stays a lot in hotels,it is spottlessly clean,fantastic staff,great food and it seems from what ive heard wedding planner who is brilliant at her job,ive been to several weddings in the last year and this hotel is near the top for survice.my only fault was it ws a very hot day and the windows in resturnt have been painted over whew!!

Room Tip: get a sea view
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank kernowgirl3
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here overnight. Lovely staff. Rooms and general fixtures a bit dated but I guess that's the look.
Good breakfast and my room had an amazing view over the beach and sea. Smashing place if you want a break away.

• Stayed September 2012
newark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

we had a sea view room which was very comfortable and spacious, breakfast was excellant, lovely dining room. the hotel staff were very polite and friendly. we would definatly stay again, car parking and free wi-fi a bonus.

Room Tip: sea view room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank minNewark
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed in the Hotel Bristol for 2 nights in August 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a fantastic sea view, the sun shone and the room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Free wi-fi was a bonus. The decor was a little old fashioned and the plumbing a bit noisy but overall I thought that was a really good family friendly hotel and good value compared to others I have stayed in. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were exceptional. As people have said in other reviews, the staff really cant do enough for you. They even opened the bar for us because we fancied a drink an hour or so before it was due to open.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family