“One of the best in Newquay The Bristol”

Best Western Hotel Bristol
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Changed my booking a number of times but nothing was too much trouble for the wonderful staff here. Stayed 7 nights in the end and was unhappy to leave -they were full. First room was a little tired and needed up dating but the room we spent 6days in was amazing. Full wet room en suite .The room was cleaned and tidied well each morning whilst at breakfast. Food was very good well served again by excellent uniformed staff, who were very attentive. Best 3 * hotel we have used in a long time. Good car parking arrangements, helped with luggage to and from car. Will be back next year for sure depending on the weather. highly recommended.

Room Tip: try room 130 sea view, not much traffic noise despite being on the front.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel Bristol

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The central location is great, with easy access to beaches, town centre and coastal walks. The sea view from room was brilliant, nice breakfast with good service. The bed was a bit small (prefer king size), was unable to access Wi-Fi from my room but managed ok from (separate) children's room, the bath could have been a bit cleaner

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
BWHB, Managing Director at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We feel very privileged to be located in such a beautiful area, and are always glad to hear that our guests enjoy it also. We apologise for any issues that you had, but are pleased you enjoyed the seaview and breakfast. We hope you will return soon - check our website for our special offers.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Friendly and helpful staff throughout our stay. Dealt with our requests promptly even at the busiest times. The only thing that affected the quality of our experience was some very late night noise coming from rowdy young people who were drunk on the beech, but this is not something the hotel can be blamed for. Amazing dining room - guests were taking pictures of it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 4 July 2014

we held our wedding day at his wonderful hotel .. brilliant day . martina and staff where really professional . decoration . rooms .. staff really great ... our wedding menu was very tasty .. presentation brilliant ... would highly recommend to all freinds and family . kevin and denise couch .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'm afraid I have some reservations about the Hotel Bristol. I have stayed in Best Western hotels before, and they have always exceeded my expectations. However I'm afraid that the Hotel Bristol fell far short of what I have come to expect.

Whilst the hotel itself is kept clean and tidy, the decore is extremely dated (I don't think I have seen so much wood chip wallpaper since the late 80's), and the whole place has something of an out of date feel.

The main issue I have with the Hotel Bristol is the food. When originally booking I called and asked if they would cater to a gluten free diet, to which they stated they would and that a note had been made on our booking to this effect. Whilst in Newquay a couple of weeks before my booking, I dropped in to the hotel to double check that they had made a note of the need for gluten free and what options there would be for the actual meals. They stated that they could not tell me what would be available as it was made fresh each day. Fair enough. However, there was no mention of the need for gluten free on our booking, so again they added a note to our booking saying that we needed gluten free food.

When we actually booked in, there STILL was no mention of the need for gluten free on our booking. Thankfully that first night we decided to eat elsewhere. This turned out to be the best bet for all our meals in Newquay.

At breakfast on the first morning we decided to have the continental breakfast and a cooked breakfast. As we had booked a room only this was going to be extra. £21 extra to be exact. £7 for the continental (which, as we needed gluten free, consisted of two gluten free rolls and a small selection of meats and cheese which were not very appetising) and a massive £14 for a cooked breakfast consisting of one small sausage, one rasher of bacon, a fried egg and a small amount of mushrooms (toast being extra). Basically, some what of a rip off considering there are loads of café's down the road that do the same thing for under £4.

Also, and this is a minor thing really, the shower was so sensitive that it took at least five minuets every time to get the water to a bearable temperature!

Had the hotel been cheaper we would have felt that it was good value. However, at the end of the holiday we felt that for what we got it was over priced.

Room Tip: Get a sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
BWHB, Managing Director at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your recent stay with us. You booked room only via a travel agent and we received the booking electronically. There was no mention of your dietary requirements in the remarks field. The dinner menu for your first night there was only one starter, one main course and one dessert that contained gluten. Our rates are based on room only and guests who pre-book breakfast or dinner are given reduced charges. We believe our charges for breakfast are reasonable considering that we offer. In addition to the traditional cooked items that include local sausages & bacon, local free range eggs we offer kippers, smoked haddock and smoked salmon with scrambled eggs at no extra charge.
A hotel that was founded in 1927 by my great grand parents will no doubt be showing its age in 2014. We have a continual refurbishment & redecoration plan. I am pretty certain we don't have wood chip wall paper. I would concede that your bathroom is in need of a makeover and is indeed included in our refurbishment plans, as in this instance we focused on the comfort of the room and have already installed a new bed, curtains and seating in the bedroom area.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

From booking to staying we had lovely friendly service , they helped us chose a fabulous room, we got a deal and they cared about our son at breakfast. We enjoyed ourselves and will return soon. Room 350 in the turret has amazing views and it was lovely to have space in a family room to relax other than sitting on bed or sharing the one or two chairs you normally get . This room has a chair and sofa!

Room Tip: Room 350 in the turret has a family lounge with amazing views space in a family room finally!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful comments and for taking the time to review us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and always aim to make our guests feel as comfortable and welcomed as possible! We hope to see you again soon, all the best for you and your family.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My first night here I had layed in bed making a list of all the things wrong , chicken vain 41/4 x 41/4 tiles , chipped vanity basin , shower mixer/ bath mixer with Acrylic taps at least 30 tears old , slim line water cistern so old it had faded to cream , walls and ceiling artexed rough finish and I could go on . I needed to leave for work at 7am and failed to have a proper shower , settled for cold rather than so hot had no skin on my Back .
Second night after I had mentioned my room I lay in bed making a list of what a fantastic room , I had been moved ,if you check my other reviews you will see I stay in some fantastic places with work , but this was a most amazing room , views to die for and luxury .I would say with out doubt one of the BEST ROOMS I have ever stayed in .Breakfast is brilliant , service great .I swam off the beach each Night .Nice to have a car Park .
If they will have me I'll be back

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 645richard

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to review us. We are glad you had such a good stay after your first night. Iif you are unhappy with your room, we will always do our best to remedy any issues. We are currently trying to arrange a refurbish for many of our rooms so hopefully this will be happening soon. We are more than happy to welcome you back and look forward to seeing you again soon!