“Choir Visit”
Review of Kilbirnie Hotel

Kilbirnie Hotel
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I went to the Kilbirnie with our local choir to take part in the Cornwall International Male Voice Choir Festival. We were allocated the hotel by the Festival. Some of the guys had read some mixed reviews online and as I was organising the trip, I was expecting some stick!
I am delighted to say I had no complaints from anyone of our party of over sixty choristers and their wives. Everyone was happy with the food and service, which was overall very good. Although the hotel was full we never had very long to wait to be served in the dining room.The décor is maybe a bit dated - but it is in our house as well! We could occasionally hear noise from other rooms but we slept well each night on comfortable beds in clean rooms. Some of the bathrooms weren't perfect, but I had one that had been recently refurbished and was very modern and pleasant.
The food was on time, well-cooked and well-served. Singers get thirsty and after our concerts it was great to get back to the Kilbirnie and find that staff had kept the bar open for us for a nightcap and didn't complain if we sang a few quiet hymns in the small hours.
The location is great - out of the town and with the open Barrowfields opposite a good start to many walks on the beautiful coastline. I didn't have time to use the facilities, but others did and found it helpful to have a laundry room and hairdressers on site. The indoor pool isn't huge but those that used it and the saunas etc. were perfectly happy with them.
A good stay and good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms 119 - 127 and 219-227 have sea views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank oldbill186302

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay. (02/04/13 - 06/04/13). Our family consists of 2 adults and 4 children aged 15,13,8 and 6). Stayed in G10 which was a fantastic size and very clean. Maids came daily and changed towels. Was very quiet in our room and walls didn't appear thin at all. Yes, it is dated, but the bathrooms look like they have been recently refurbished, as does the dining room. We had breakfast, which we thought was continental but it turned out it included Full English! Staff were all very helpful and pleasant and made you feel welcome. Swimming pool was great as was the Spa Bath. We have family in Newquay and needed somewhere suitable to stay and we will definitely be booking here again. My only gripe would be that the pillows could do be being replaced as they were very flat.

Room Tip: G10 is at the end of the hotel which is maybe why it wasn't noisy?
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I feel quite sad having to write a less than satisfactory review about this hotel as I was excited to stay there after seeing good reviews on trip advisor. I found the kilbernie to be very out dated (everything in our room was orange - the carpet, blankets (which my boyfriend actually likened to a 'witches shawl' haha, curtains, lampshades etc) and the room was very badly lit - even with all the lights (which were wired up wrong) on. The walls were paper thin and I was kept up until the early hours as the ballroom downstairs was being used for a teenagers party. I woke up in the morning to a teenage tantrum in the room next door but what do I want for £22 a head a night? Staff were friendly, close to town and can't comment on the food as breakfast wasn't included. Average.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren W
Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

Hotel is dated but good value. Seemingly managed by husband and wife. She seemed to run reception with a smile, whereas he ran the breakfast room with a scowl! Word of warning: don't try and give him an innocuous "good morning!"

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank duncjags
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I always stay here and use the conference room to have a footwear show . The room is very bright with natural lighting . This is a traditional hotel so has character . Great location just out of the main town but an easy walk down and lovely clifftop views . when the tide is out you can walk right along the whole beach which is lovely . The staff always look after me and are friendly and helpfull . nice breakfast and a nice little pool which i often have to myself . Remember you get what you pay for and this for the money is absolutely fine .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pumpadump
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We stayed for a saturday night, fist weekend in October. We took our small westie with us, as dogs are permitted on all the beaches out of season. It's ideally situated and is an easy stroll into town, and directly opposite the beach. The room was clean and tidy. We had a sea view and a bathroom with a bath. The tv was very old and the reception was bad. There was no wifi in the room. The breakfast was very nice, full english, choice of cereals and tea and coffee were in plentiful supply, served to your table. We would definately stay again.

Room Tip: If there is a function on, ask for a room away from the ballroom, sound travels.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My husband and I booked in initially for two nights but decided we would like to stay an extra night. The staff were really helpful as at first the hotel was full but due to a cancellation they jiggled it so we could stay in the same room. The room was comfortable and clean, the full English breakfast was nicely cooked and there was also a good selection of cereals, fruit etc. We liked the fact that the hotel was just on the edge of Newquay so not noisy and we enjoyed walking to the cliff edge and taking in the view. There was always space to park the car though sometimes a little difficult but this may have been because two coaches were taking up several parking spaces at the front of the hotel and we had to park at the back. It has two pools but these were closed when I went to check them out . The hotel may not be ultra modern but it is perfectly adequate and excellent value for money. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: worth paying a little extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple