“dinner dance evening”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Newquay
Helston, United Kingdom
“dinner dance evening”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We attended a dinner dance function here last night and
I would warn anyone doing the same to forget your evening clothes and put your thermal underwear on
on arriving the hotel felt cold ,there was little heating on.The lobby was heated by a calour gas heater and the same in dining room,although there is a large gas fire in ballroom it was not on and we had to request that it was turned on
I can say for sure that almost everyone was complaining of the cold including the men .
I believe this hotel is not open to guests at this time of the year and it appears that the main heating system is turned off .After sitting though the meal and speeches I was so cold that I felt
awful and we left long before the evening was over
This said the meal provided was excellent it was hot,plentiful and a good flavor but other than that there is nothing to recommend it
I will never go there again to an evening function as the whole event was ruined by inconsideration

Room Tip: did not stay night so cannot comment
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Penjenkin
Kilbirnierecp, Manager at Kilbirnie Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Penjenkin,

I am very sorry that you felt the cold the evening of your function on the 29th November.

The heating was on in the whole hotel and as we thought it was a cold evening we even put a calor gas heater into the reception entrance to stop any cool air blowing in from under the door. I felt that at 7 pm the reception was so toasty that i moved the gas heater into the dining room to give it a quick blast before your Dinner at 7.30.

The Large gas fire in the ballroom, which we put on when someone asked provided even more heat to the party.

I myself, the Manager who was working all night did not hear one mention of the Hotel being cold, i was only wearing a thin short sleeved top and skirt and did not feel the need to put on a jumper.

Again i apologize for the inconvenience caused for you feeling cold.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hotel itself is well located for the Beaches. Not too much of a walk to the Bars / Shops. I booked this Hotel over the Premier Inn because it has a Pool, "Thermal Spa" and Sauna.

The Sauna was chargeable. Both the Pool and "Thermal Spa" where Cold. I had to pay for a Sauna to actually get so hot that I could brave the Pool. Both the Pool and Jacuzzi where more of an endurance challenge than a pleasure to use. They also had an outdoor pool which was really Cold but this is to be expected as it's outdoors !!

The shower had very poor pressure and I found myself hunched under it. The Heating did not come on until after Breakfast. By this time I had my shower and it wasn't required.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just returned from a two night break here, good position for the town centre if you can do a 15 min level walk, as that saves on parking costs. Free parking at the hotel.
Reception very helpful and quickly booked in. Lift to the bedrooms, sea view room was on the small side, very clean, good comfy bed, bedding and towels good. The room looked like it had recently been refurbished, unfortunately bathroom was dated. (A tip here to the hotel, get rid of bath and install walk in showers. )
Breakfast service was good, better quality sausages needed not the catering cheapest ones. But otherwise well worth the price we paid for the weekend. Can't comment on the pool as we didn't use it. Thanks for an enjoyable break.

Room Tip: Nice to wake up to a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shes186258
Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

On arrival the reception staff were very welcoming and allowed us into our room early. The room was very spacious and the beds were very comfortable. There is ample parking and the hotel is within walking distance to all local amenities. The swimming pool and Spa are very good. The breakfast is adequate and again the staff are friendly and helpful. All this made for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jjp S
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

we found the staff warm and friendly. the pool was warm and clean and i had it to myself which was wonderful. breakfast was everything you could ask for. Our room was cleaned to a very high standard every day. we will definately stay at this hotel again, we highly recommend it to anyone going to Newquay. mrs mcfarlane

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank patricia m
Par, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Another year at this lovely family run hotel. This was our 6th time of coming here to do our crafts in the Conferrence Room. The staff are as always just lovely and make us so welcome, love you all. If you want stay in the quiet end of Newquay, there is no better hotel, just try it!!!

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Mo B
Kilbirnierecp, Manager at Kilbirnie Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Another successful 'Crafts Circle Function' at the Kilbirnie Hotel. I am glad that you and your guests enjoyed their 4 night half-board stay at the Hotel, taking advance of our conference facilities. Its always nice to see you each year. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is a joke and full of comedians, however they are not so funny when you call to make a booking, on the telephone the staff are very polite and eager to tell you how great their hotel is, once they have got you there its a different story!
On arrival we were pleased to find our room was ready early, we were asked to settle the bill in full so we did, BIG MISTAKE!!!
Our room was on the outer corner wall of the hotel, and when booking the helpful staff had failed to mention there was a building site next door that started work, hammering and drilling at 7am , not the best start to the day when trying to relax.Not wanting to make a fuss we thought we we go and relax in the spa bath and have a swim in the "heated indoor pool" HA HA HA HA HA , The pool was freezing as was the spa bath , when i asked at reception why it was cold they casually told me the boiler was broken, so we asked the best way to walk in to town and the reply was "ON YOUR FEET" oh how i laughed!
At breakfast the next morning after being woken up to the tranquil sounds of hammering, we were shown to a table that sat almost on top of a dumb waiter that was loaded with dirty plates of left over food, i asked if there was any chance we could have a seat next to the window and was told "THERE ARE TWO WINDOWS OVER THERE" i took this to mean i could take my pick and started to move when i was told they were all taken, this was obviously another wise crack....the jokes just kept rolling in. When breakfast arrived it was swimming in grease and their idea of continental breakfast was cheap slices of what i can only think was attempting to be ham (not a selection of meats as described when booking) and dry croissants .
3 days in to the stay the pool was still not heated and when i complained to reception about the building work they just said that the builders were not supposed to start til 8, and gave no response about the pool or spa at all, basically they had your money and any customer service was not the agenda.
I now know why our room was ready so early, because no one in their right mind would stay in this dump any longer than they had to!!

Room Tip: book somewhere else!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank James_d4385
Kilbirnierecp, Manager at Kilbirnie Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear James,
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you feel so negative about the Kilbirnie Hotel.
I am glad your room was cleaned before others to ensure you had an early check in as requested.
With regards to the building work next door to the hotel, we have been informed by Wainhomes that no work is to be carried out until 8 am, and that no 'heavy noise' work is to commence until after 9am. The what was once horrible derelict waste land is now being converted into modern apartments and houses, which will make the area look a lot better. Unfortunately, this means builders have to build, and with building comes sound. I do sincerely apologize, but as this is not our land, or our company there is very little we can do about it. All I can say is that when it is done, it will look 100% better than looking out onto a derelict building full of graffiti, and will be a good housing estate for the Newquay community!
The 'on your feet' comment, I think has been taken the wrong way. The best way to get into Newquay is walking as it is only 10-15 minutes away. Driving around Newquay's one way system can sometimes be quite tedious and there is not much parking to be found in the center. Of course, if you had let us know that walking was an issue we would have been more than happy to book you a taxi to where ever you wanted to go.
I apologize for the indoor pool, this was a problem. The main boiler had a fault, and of course when a boiler has a fault, just as in a normal home this causes problems with the heating. We tried to get the problem sorted as quickly as possible, but I am sure you can understand trying to get a plumber at the weekend, let alone a commercial plumber into the hotel to sort out the issue can be quite hard. The problem has be sorted since your visit. Of course if you really wanted to have a swim, our sister hotel, the Edgcumbe next door would have let you use their pool - you only need of asked. If this point was not made clear to you I apologize.
As the Kilbirnie is a big hotel with 66 bedrooms, we do have to allocate seating in our dining room. As without being organised, the dining room would be quite chaotic with guests coming in and sitting anywhere. I am sorry that you did not get a window seat, however you can see the same view out of the windows from any seat in the restaurant. With regards to the breakfast 'swimming in grease', the whole breakfast ; bacon, sausage, beans and tomato are all freshly grilled with only the egg being fried, hence I do not understand where all of this grease could have come from? I am sorry however that this was the case.
With kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Newquay hotels