“Good night out”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Restaurant is on first floor, cocktail bar on GF
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We've been to the Mexican Cantina in Newquay a few times since moving to the area 18 mths ago & not had a bad time yet. We visited this time as my daughter decided (unexpectedly) that she wanted Mexican for her birthday tea. The service & food were great as always. Our waitress was happy to take a group photo for us & even offered sombreros to have our pic taken in (which we did take her up on!). The only slight niggle was that the food didn't all come out together, as quickly as I would have expected, but a minor point as when it did all arrive it was v.good. If u're looking for a good night out & tasty Mexican food, would definitely recommend paying a visit.

1  Thank Yogabum75

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Decided to eat here for a change as we normally eat at Senor Dicks (another Mexican) which is just up the road. Its a shame that there are no mexican meals on the kids menu although the chef did agree to prepare a kids fajita for us which was much appreciated. The food was overall very good although a bit more pricey than Senor Dicks. The seating was also not as comfortable as Senor Dicks. Still a good mexican and worth a visit as portions are large and the ingredients are tasty.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Friendly staff and delicious food. Sadly couldn't go there again. Would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

1  Thank neoms21
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We thought we would try the restaurant and weren't disappointed. The food was delicious, with my husband saying it is one of, if not the best Mexican meals he has had. The staff were lovely and friendly, and this was also appreciated by 2 Spanish guys, as one of the waitresses spoke Spanish! A really great experience

1  Thank Fran E
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Not a place I would recommend or go back to.

My starter was potato skins with chilli however the skins must have come from the microwave as they just fell apart and were wafer thin. What's the point unless they are crisp.

My wife's starter was jalapeños with cheddar cheese inside however what actually received was cheese inside deep fried breadcrumbs and not a chilli in site. Although it was incorrect it was nice enough.

I chose a vegetable fajita for my main. I'm normally the kind of person that eats his food in 5 mins and doesn't stop until it's all gone however I found myself eating £13.95 worth of vegetables which would be better placed in a vegetable pie. A very strange choice of veg including celery, green beans ,carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. I can only assume the chef ran out of peppers as my wife's enchilada contained exactly the same.

I can however say my daughter enjoyed her chicken nuggets and chips.

I found myself paying £57 to two adults and one child for two starters, three mains and no desserts.

I love Mexican food but this was just a poor imitation.