“Avast ye land lubbers!”

Pirate's Quest
Ranked #15 of 63 things to do in Newquay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Book your adventure online to secure a tour time. Get ready to embark on a swashbucklin’ voyage through Cornwall’s pirating past at Pirate’s Quest, Newquay – Come face to face with smugglers, mermaids, and real LIVE buccaneers! A brand new storyline for 2017 will see visitors transported back over 300 years to the Golden Age of Piracy and the dawn of The Republic of Pirates. A real LIVE pirate from the infamous ‘Flying Gang’ will help you escape a shipwreck then lead you through the mystical caves and murky streets of eighteenth century Cornwall to the crew’s recruitment base; Blackbeard’s Tavern. Eventually you’ll arrive at the Captain’s Ship, ready to set sail to an exotic Caribbean island and The Republic of Pirates. The hour-long walk-through experience will allow pirate fans and their crew mates the chance to feel, hear, smell, and see Cornwall’s intriguing legends and exciting history.
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We went to Bucaneer Bay whilst on holiday in Cornwall. My husband went years ago and was very keen for me to 'experience' it too! We went in with our 2 year old daughter.
We were greeted by a lady on reception who explained how it all worked. We had a few moments to wait whilst she checked the pirate was 'in position' (slightly ruined the anticipation as I imagined him adjusting his parrot). We went in and were met by Captain Jack (AKA Calico Jack). He was BRILLIANT. Really great Pirate voice, lots of jokes interweaving the stories. He was so good he could easily have been in the London Dungeon. It took about 45 mins to go round, not a great deal to look at. It must have been a bit rubbish before they employed the pirates, Calico Jack made the whole experience as far as I'm concerned.
My husband went through the 'scary bit' but I didn't really feel our little girl was up to it so I waited in a fairly nondescript corridor for his return. It was quite pricey, £15 for us both with a discount voucher. But the 'real pirate' experience was very funny and he earned every penny as far as we were concerned. Great family fun on a rainy day!

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

We have today just visited buccaneer bay and it was great. We were met by a real life pirate who told us stories and showed us round. We were kept involved the whole time. My wife and I thought it was really good and so did my two young sons. Would recommend to everyone and would go again, in fact if my kids get their way we will probably go again before the week is over

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Didn't know what to expect from this attraction. On arrival the pleasant lady behind the counter explained how long it took so knew it was a 45 min experience.
The actors/ pirates were great and answered my 6 year old questions. The scary part was very scary and we took our boys (4and6 yrs) and in hindsight we should have gone the safe way as it was very scary even for me!!
Very comical so good entertainment for adults too.
At the time we were there I think the owner was there and talking to him we mentioned our son was doing a school project on pirates, at the end he approached us to ask if he would like a photo with one of the pirates for his schoolwork.
Yes only a 45 min experience but worth a visit!

Reviewed 31 August 2013

just visited newquay' buccaneer bay pirate show. staff were excellent and entertaining whilst showing groups around and made up for the lack of moving exhibits. reasonably priced for a family trip especially if its raining. we had 4 and 5 year olds with us who enjoyed the "scary bit" but not for all children as the pirate staff DO jump out at you.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I was all set to write a review about how shoddy Buccaneer Bay was, as we were unable to visit, but we did get to visit eventually.
The opening hours have the attraction closing at 4pm, but with some late openings, we went on a Friday late opening, but it was closed, and there was no indication of when they would be open advertised on the premises. Looking on the website (by phone), it stated that it closed Saturdays. However it was open on the Saturday, but with limited staff, as some of the pirates had family emergencies.
When we finally got in the attraction, the pirate seemed very authentic, and told stories of piracy, and lore, with models illustrating the stories.
The scare attraction part could do with being scary.

piratemanager, Manager at Pirate's Quest, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Buccaneer Bay. We are open daily with the last show starting around 4pm. This is stated in our brochure, a copy of which is on the front door but we will also put the opening times on a poster in the window to avoid this problem in the future.

We have been open Saturdays since 2010 but having typed a request for opening hours into the internet now realise that Google have us set up with different opening hours and as closed on Saturdays. You obviously reached this site rather than our web page. We are in the process of registering to get this changed. It is difficult to keep up to date with all of the sites that pick up details but then do not check back for changes in times, prices etc.

We are glad that you did get to see us. Our scare section is set to a fright level that the main August audience ( families with children) find scary. We offer higher levels of scare to booked parties and have an annual Halloween fright night when the whole building is a scare attraction.